Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › THE PLASTICS
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 338 Guests

THE PLASTICS

This thread currently has 4,899 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
January 13, 2019, 6:34am
Guest User
For many years, from the ages of about 9 years old through until I was 17, I attended the games through thick and thin. During the likes of the Mike Lyons era when things were really dysmal, yet despite this I turned up every week. I used to say the same thing about fans only coming for the big fixtures etc, part time supporters. This was because I didn’t appreciate the complexities of a fan base. That said, I left Gy over 25 years ago and don’t get there half as much as I would love too. It still hurts just as much watching iFollow or Skysports news or the radio or whatever other means I can lay my hands on (Twitter, Telegraph etc etc)

You have to take a look at this Club on the whole and this includes all the different types of supporters. There are Season Ticket holders, regulars, fans that work most Saturdays, fans that are out of work and can’t afford it, fans that are in the Armed Forces and fans that are Exiles (whether in the UK or overseas). Some of these fans are unable to make it week in week out due to their circumstances but still have Black and White running though their veins.

The truth is that all these fans make a contribution to this Club one way or another, some big and some small but ALL of them contribute towards this Club and it’s success. The Fanbase is much bigger than JUST those that are there on a Saturday. We also have to bear in mind that it is an entertainment business so people will try that much harder to Travel, book a days holiday to attend some of the more attractive fixtures (this is just human nature).

One pleasing thing from all this is that the fans aren’t all kicking off when the team are defeated, more looking for another scapegoat.

Everyone has a part to play, wherever that is from.

This team is on the up, We’re all Town aren’t we??!! UTM
realist
January 13, 2019, 7:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,686
Gold Stars: 41
You have me baffled here. You slag off some fans with your title but then defend them in the thread. On a guilt trip?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
chaos33
January 13, 2019, 7:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
And you've titled the thread 'THE PLASTICS' (in capitals). ???

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 13, 2019, 8:55am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
Thought this was going to be a verbal assault on the multitude of fans who left their seats when Macclesfield scored their second goal which I found very disappointing.

To be fair the majority returned second half & got behind the team but personally thought the numbers that left their seats in the first half sent a very poor message out to the players. In reality the players need the support at these moments more than when we are 2-0 up so IMO not only the team failed to perform yesterday.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
January 13, 2019, 9:10am
Guest User
Quoted from realist
You have me baffled here. You slag off some fans with your title but then defend them in the thread. On a guilt trip?

Not at all!! Lost in translation. It seems to be the theme across Social Media at the moment about why we didn’t have 5,500 fans at BP on Saturday and those being called Part Time Supporters or Plastic fans. It was more of a reference to what people were intimating.
Reply: 4 - 25
January 13, 2019, 9:15am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
And you've titled the thread 'THE PLASTICS' (in capitals). ???

Maybe a bad choice of title I guess.

It’s frustrating that certain fans don’t get it!! That the revenue streams come from all over the country and world and across more than just the ST Sales (Granted, I would imagine that ST are the lions share of the revenue).
Reply: 5 - 25
GrimRob
January 13, 2019, 9:31am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
The most important person in the ground is the newcomer at his or her first game, or first game for a long time.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 25
Maringer
January 13, 2019, 9:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I bet that Lucy Worsley wasn't there yesterday. Flipping glory-hunting part-timer.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
January 13, 2019, 10:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from 1542
For many years, from the ages of about 9 years old through until I was 17, I attended the games through thick and thin. During the likes of the Mike Lyons era when things were really dysmal, yet despite this I turned up every week. I used to say the same thing about fans only coming for the big fixtures etc, part time supporters. This was because I didn’t appreciate the complexities of a fan base. That said, I left Gy over 25 years ago and don’t get there half as much as I would love too. It still hurts just as much watching iFollow or Skysports news or the radio or whatever other means I can lay my hands on (Twitter, Telegraph etc etc)

You have to take a look at this Club on the whole and this includes all the different types of supporters. There are Season Ticket holders, regulars, fans that work most Saturdays, fans that are out of work and can’t afford it, fans that are in the Armed Forces and fans that are Exiles (whether in the UK or overseas). Some of these fans are unable to make it week in week out due to their circumstances but still have Black and White running though their veins.

The truth is that all these fans make a contribution to this Club one way or another, some big and some small but ALL of them contribute towards this Club and it’s success. The Fanbase is much bigger than JUST those that are there on a Saturday. We also have to bear in mind that it is an entertainment business so people will try that much harder to Travel, book a days holiday to attend some of the more attractive fixtures (this is just human nature).

One pleasing thing from all this is that the fans aren’t all kicking off when the team are defeated, more looking for another scapegoat.

Everyone has a part to play, wherever that is from.

This team is on the up, We’re all Town aren’t we??!! UTM

I agree that all Town fans, part time, "plastic", exiles all have a part to play. However I  have been going for nigh on 60 years through thin and thin, and I think a certain amount of perspective is required.

People will naturally gravitate towards success, and success has not come our way for a long time.

People also want a good day out, in a stadium fit for purpose and need to have a sense that we are trying to achieve something and that it is something they can buy into.

A lot of the ingredients for having better regular crowds are missing, and until some of the fundamentals change it will always be thus.

Until Mr. Fenty or AN Other can show the PUBLIC of the area that they mean business then attendances will be average at best.

I like the progress Jolley is trying to make, and wish him well, but the club itself doesn't seem to show any of the necessary qualities to get the public enthused which is a great shame.    
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
Limerick Mariner
January 13, 2019, 10:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,554
Gold Stars: 133

I agree that all Town fans, part time, "plastic", exiles all have a part to play. However I  have been going for nigh on 60 years through thin and thin, and I think a certain amount of perspective is required.

People will naturally gravitate towards success, and success has not come our way for a long time.

People also want a good day out, in a stadium fit for purpose and need to have a sense that we are trying to achieve something and that it is something they can buy into.

A lot of the ingredients for having better regular crowds are missing, and until some of the fundamentals change it will always be thus.

Until Mr. Fenty or AN Other can show the PUBLIC of the area that they mean business then attendances will be average at best.

I like the progress Jolley is trying to make, and wish him well, but the club itself doesn't seem to show any of the necessary qualities to get the public enthused which is a great shame.

Spot on IMHO. It's a while ago but, I recall that once Huddersfield got planning permission for their new ground for the last two seasons at Leeds Road they offered cut-price season tickets, doubled their crowds and then saw them increase again once in their new home - they created exactly what you have said above. They've never really looked back since. Before that, one would have said they were a similar sized club to Town!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › THE PLASTICS

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.