Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln game. TV ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 224 Guests

Lincoln game. TV ?

This thread currently has 4,776 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
January 8, 2019, 11:34am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Might it be that the League One and Two clubs have asked not to be on TV so that they don’t lose matchday revenue?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
Mariner Timsky
January 8, 2019, 11:41am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
It was in the cough - non league days that I and I'm sure many other exiles struggled on getting a ticket in the away end for a game such as Lincoln away and the next best thing was BT Sport in the pub or at home

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
jonnyboy82
January 8, 2019, 11:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Its the perfect fixture for a sky tv pick..

Its a derby and 2 clubs in form plus a big crowd...

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
1mickylyons
January 8, 2019, 12:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from jonnyboy82

You would have thought this game would have been ideal on a Friday Night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 8, 2019, 12:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Nah the football league tv rights are mostly wasted on sky
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
pizzzza
January 8, 2019, 12:24pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,700
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from jonnyboy82

We might think that, but I doubt Sky do. They probably believe that it would only attract those Grimsby or Lincoln supporters not at the game (so probably in the thousands rather than hundreds of thousands). At 1pm on a Saturday most neutrals will most likely be on their way to watch their own team or if they are at home (and have Sky of course...) be watching the Premier League game (also on Sky at the same time) or maybe Soccer Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
GrimRob
January 8, 2019, 1:26pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Leagues 1 and 2 should break away and negotiate their own TV deal. Someone like Premier Sport would love to have all those fans wanting to pay to watch.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 20
The_Laughing_Mariner
January 8, 2019, 1:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
BBC sport on red button

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Abdul19
January 8, 2019, 1:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from GrimRob
Leagues 1 and 2 should break away and negotiate their own TV deal. Someone like Premier Sport would love to have all those fans wanting to pay to watch.

How much does the club make from Sky? I suspect it's a lot more (albeit for no live games) than we made from BT in the conference. Could Premier Sports pay the same (without going bust)?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
diehardmariner
January 8, 2019, 3:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,405
Gold Stars: 532
And that's the big issue isn't it, the price of the TV deal.

Collectively, the Football League can negotiate a relatively decent TV deal (financially) for everyone by sticking as the 72.   Leeds, Aston Villa, Sunderland, the Sheffield clubs and maybe a few others aside, there's little in the 72 that appeals to the vast majority of neutral/armchair fans.  At the point when the new TV deal is negotiated and the five clubs listed are replaced by Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley, Huddersfield and Cardiff....that offer on the table is going to be vastly reduced.

The reason Quest have the TV highlights show is because they were willing to pay a fee for it.  No-one else was.  Even though viewing figures have dropped through the floor as the show has moved from stupid o'clock on BBC1, to prime-time Channel 5 and then to channel most people didn't know existed, the FL have failed to catch onto the idea that the highlights package is an advert for their product - not a cash cow.

As a collective, the league need to decide if they want that quick fix of cash or if they want a superior place at the viewing table to promote their product, both for live games and highlights.  I know the league and especially the clubs will say oh but that extra £2million a year is brilliant, we can't go without it.  But it's all relative isn't it?  Because of Walsall are getting £2million a year for TV coverage, so are Portsmouth.  No-one is really benefiting are they?   Ditch Sky, ditch the channel that's hidden away and give the TV deals away for sod all - stipulating that you want guaranteed coverage for everyone in prime slots. With that you get your product out there to the mass audience, your fan-base increases and you develop a sustainable model for a period of time far longer than a three or five year TV deal.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln game. TV ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.