This thread currently has 4,948 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
January 6, 2019, 8:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Got this message from Tony which was very humbling and nice to see that our support makes such an impression.

From a Palace fan i would just like to say the near 6,000 of you that travelled to London for the cup game were an absolute credit to your club. It would be easy for you to think “yeah, it's easy to say that because you eventually broke through and won the game” but honestly you were great. The noise you made for the whole 90 minutes was very impressive. I spoke to fair few Grimsby fans before and after the game in and around the fanzone/players car park about football in general and we also had a bit of banter. I will go as far to say the atmosphere was the best we have had at Selhurst for a long time and although i was situated above our noisy lot in the Holmsdale end we could hear you loud and clear, even when we scored the late winner and were celebrating you all sung “Mariners, Mariners, Mariners” and at the end of the game. Many of us also stayed to clap your lads off the field and they appreciated that by clapping us themselves. Hopefully you all had a safe journey home and im just relieved we don't have to make the journey to Cleethorpes for a replay, i did visit once back in 81/82 and we got stuffed 4-1. Well done to everyone associated with your club and good luck for the rest of the season Tony

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
LH
January 6, 2019, 8:52pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
Good to see they’re not all as twattish as some of them have been on Twitter. Really enjoyed yesterday all round. Spoke to a few of their fans walking down to the ground - think there is a mutual respect between the two sets of fans.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Northbank Mariner
January 6, 2019, 9:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Nice
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
KingstonMariner
January 6, 2019, 11:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It was great to see the Holmsdale Rd end pretty full too. Always found Palace fans decent people. When you live in London and decide to stick with one of the less fashionable clubs, it says something about your character.

The ground, as someone else pointed out, is old school and has character and has developed organically over the years.

The only thing I don't like are the particular shades of red and blue they have on their shirts.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
buckstown
January 7, 2019, 9:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
Looked through their forum yesterday and some of them were critical of Zaha and Townsend. One guy said why does Townsend look to score a 25 yard worldy every time instead of finding a team mate in a better position
The next guy said "when you've got 5000 people calling you a wan*er every time you touch the ball, something deep inside makes you want to prove them wrong"
Well he didn't so we must be right!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
Southwark Mariner
January 7, 2019, 10:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82

Not quite sure why it comes under Cricket:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46779604
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
KingstonMariner
January 7, 2019, 1:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

Not quite sure why it comes under Cricket:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46779604

In fact it’s the very definition of ‘Not Cricket’.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
grimsby pete
January 7, 2019, 2:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Out of all the London clubs Palace have the best fans not only in cheering their team on ,

BUT

Understanding the away team can play well too and their supporters are not the enemy.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Jarmo.Is.God
January 7, 2019, 2:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but in the chaos of it all, I've not read every post!

But did anyone see MJ and Anthony at the full time whistle to Roy and his staff?

Just show's what incredible gentlemen they are, and how they respect the work Roy has done in the sport, despite losing to a horrible late goal, they was still extremley proffesional and respectful... if only some other managers in league 2 had a similar outlook...
I am sure they had a drink with him after and built some bridges with them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
Gaffer58
January 7, 2019, 2:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
I know it's now too late, but if Jolley had really thought about Saturdays game he would have brought in a few Icelanders, Roy would have been pleased to see them!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts from Palace

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.