Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 50 years a Mariner - not much has changed!
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 278 Guests

50 years a Mariner - not much has changed!

This thread currently has 1,471 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
January 6, 2019, 3:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Scunny at home was my first home game in January 1969 - we lost 1-0 and dropped into the bottom 4 yet the GTFC bug bit me and I've been black & white ever since. Out of curiosity, I've just looked at the Division 4 table from that day and 8 of the teams (including us) remain at that level whilst 9 are non-league and 7 higher.

Of course, the Youngs stand stands in place of the Barretts and the open corners are no longer used. The moaners moan just as they did then and new Mariners come & go. 1969 was just prior to the short reign of the great Lawrie McMenemy who won Div 4 with Donny that season then came to us and did a very similar job of re-connecting the club as Michael Jolley is trying to do now. We were a club that seemed to look downwards then as we have become used to in recent seasons but Lawrie Mac set us on a more aspirational path where we started to punch above our weight on & off for many years.

We've never been a rich club but we've always been a well supported club for our level. We now have a manager who seems to 'get' us and the prospect of a stadium that might drag our club into the 21st century. For the first time in many years, there are chinks of light at what has seemed to be a never-ending tunnel - will our future be a happy one? Let's hope so!

UTM
Private Message
Yossarian
January 6, 2019, 3:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
Wise words.  I've been following Grimsby since 1980 (I think)... seen a lot of dross, some great memories and a lot of "if only"

Supporting a team like Grimsby is never about glory, it is about shared suffering, I believe.  with occasional glimmers of hope that are then ground up underneath the boot-heel of fate.

I agree about the manager as well.

Its good to see we have a manager who is emotionally and intellectually more rounded than the more traditional football manager.

Working in a high pressure environment in banking, studying at Cambridge - these are things that provide a more socially acceptable set of soft skills that seem to be woefully lacking in some of the more immersed managers who seem to exist only in a football bubble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
grimps
January 6, 2019, 3:43pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,108
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Yossarian
Wise words.  I've been following Grimsby since 1980 (I think)... seen a lot of dross, some great memories and a lot of "if only"

Supporting a team like Grimsby is never about glory, it is about shared suffering, I believe.  with occasional glimmers of hope that are then ground up underneath the boot-heel of fate

Working in a high pressure environment in banking, studying at Cambridge - these are things that provide a more socially acceptable set of soft skills that seem to be woefully lacking in some of the more immersed managers who seem to exist only in a football bubble.

I’ve said for years that the best managers are the ones that have had a life outside of football .
Most footballers or ex footballers shout and make a lot of Noise but have very little man management skills
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
KingstonMariner
January 6, 2019, 5:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Happy 50th OC. I'm 2 1/2 years behind you, starting in Lawrie Mac's first season. Though I can't say my love was as constant (I went AWOL late 70s just before we had our best spell!).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
rancido
January 6, 2019, 6:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Scunny at home was my first home game in January 1969 - we lost 1-0 and dropped into the bottom 4 yet the GTFC bug bit me and I've been black & white ever since. Out of curiosity, I've just looked at the Division 4 table from that day and 8 of the teams (including us) remain at that level whilst 9 are non-league and 7 higher.

Of course, the Youngs stand stands in place of the Barretts and the open corners are no longer used. The moaners moan just as they did then and new Mariners come & go. 1969 was just prior to the short reign of the great Lawrie McMenemy who won Div 4 with Donny that season then came to us and did a very similar job of re-connecting the club as Michael Jolley is trying to do now. We were a club that seemed to look downwards then as we have become used to in recent seasons but Lawrie Mac set us on a more aspirational path where we started to punch above our weight on & off for many years.

We've never been a rich club but we've always been a well supported club for our level. We now have a manager who seems to 'get' us and the prospect of a stadium that might drag our club into the 21st century. For the first time in many years, there are chinks of light at what has seemed to be a never-ending tunnel - will our future be a happy one? Let's hope so!

UTM

!966 for me and yes there has been a lot of changes, some good and some bad, in the meantime. Although not wanting to be provocative we have had a lot of " downs " prior to the present regime so JF is not the only one to blame  for past mediocrity!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
Mrs Doyle
January 6, 2019, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Similar been watching since the likes of Matt Tees, Stuart Brace, Graham Rathbone, Stuart Gray, Jack Worthington etc wore the shirt.

Blundell Park will never sound as noisy but even with 8k in it can still sound great as proven last season when Jolley defied the odds and kept us up.

This season did not start well but gradually a new belief has come back and quell surprise this stems from hard work and young players brought in and coming through the ranks.

With the new players coming in from Sweden and further progress from the local academy and one or to choice signings the future does look promising even to this ole fart.

Just hope I live long enough to see us play higher and in a new stadium worthy of our long history.

UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
golfer
January 6, 2019, 7:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
1955 -?  1-0 home defeat to Tranmere    can still smell the liniment and brylcream
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
MuddyWaters
January 6, 2019, 9:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from golfer
1955 -?  1-0 home defeat to Tranmere    can still smell the liniment and brylcream

Still liniment now, not sure about the Brylcream.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
promotion plaice
January 6, 2019, 9:31pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197

For my age a very late starter following Town for me...1978.....great times.

Followed Hull as a kid as that's where I come from originally....

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
KingstonMariner
January 6, 2019, 11:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from promotion plaice

For my age a very late starter following Town for me...1978.....great times.

Followed Hull as a kid as that's where I come from originally....

There are many paths towards the true faith brother. It's a bit like the New Testament. In the Old you were either born one of the chosen people or not. In the New anyone could become one, with faith  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 50 years a Mariner - not much has changed!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.