Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Takeover
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 151 Guests

Takeover

This thread currently has 61,111 views. Print
38 Pages Prev ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
January 17, 2019, 9:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Civvy at last

But what if you do your house up on the cheap. Using inferior builders and contractors that quite frankly weren’t up to the job.
What if your house was in a far worse state than when you bought it due to your bad decision making  Would you expect a new buyer to pick up the tab for your ineptitude?  I wouldn’t!

Houses all look the same when they're demolished, should be an incentive to build a new one.
Private Message
Reply: 350 - 379
1mickylyons
January 18, 2019, 7:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from norfuk mariner

I suspect the exile support as a percentage of total support is higher at GTFC than virtually any other club, hence the large support at special games. For the first ten years of supporting Town (50's and 60s) I saw every game at Blundell Park including reserves, alternative Saturdays when I could not get to first team games and Northern Intermediate Games too. It remains in the blood and you inculcate it into your children but other life pressures and distances involved mean you can't get to home games regularly. I was one of the 22,500 at BP to watch us beat Exeter City in 1972. Costs of getting to Grimsby and going to a Match are prohibitive and I think the aspirational 15,000 is a tough ask given the widespread supporters and costs. Agree with the sentiments though. UTM

Massive exiles fanbase and not tapped into AT ALL by GTFC which is a failing in my eyes. If BP was to host it`s final game next Season and the Club marketed it correctly a large % of those exiles would make the pilgrimage to see the old girl off. Some would argue this is just misty eyed sentiment and maybe so but these exiles spend an awful lot of time following GTFC across social media etc for snippets of news so they are interested. The floating support is key to any future success for this Club it must be harnassed the hardcore 4.5k are going nowhere it`s all the others and future generations the Club need to get on board. We are here now Mid Jan and I would be highly sceptical of the Club doing anything but the tried and tested renew your ST at the discounted rate?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 351 - 379
KingstonMariner
January 18, 2019, 10:28am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Massive exiles fanbase and not tapped into AT ALL by GTFC which is a failing in my eyes. If BP was to host it`s final game next Season and the Club marketed it correctly a large % of those exiles would make the pilgrimage to see the old girl off. Some would argue this is just misty eyed sentiment and maybe so but these exiles spend an awful lot of time following GTFC across social media etc for snippets of news so they are interested. The floating support is key to any future success for this Club it must be harnassed the hardcore 4.5k are going nowhere it`s all the others and future generations the Club need to get on board. We are here now Mid Jan and I would be highly sceptical of the Club doing anything but the tried and tested renew your ST at the discounted rate?

I’m a misty-eyed sentimentalist (and no that’s not cataracts) and I wholeheartedly concur. Blundell Park is not capable of holding everyone who would want to be there for its last game (if that day ever came).

There is a vast untapped resource that will never be exploited under the present (type of) regime. Better promotion and marketing and better communications could improve the finances of the club though. But not as much as if it truly were a community club.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 352 - 379
louth_in_the_south
January 18, 2019, 11:41am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
Let’s look down the A46 for a bit of inspiration. Lincoln has pretty much quadrupled their gates in the space of 3 seasons. I’m not saying that we could do that but with a decent team and decent marketing we could regularly get 8-10 thousand

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 353 - 379
Maringer
January 18, 2019, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,478
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Let’s look down the A46 for a bit of inspiration. Lincoln has pretty much quadrupled their gates in the space of 3 seasons. I’m not saying that we could do that but with a decent team and decent marketing we could regularly get 8-10 thousand

During Buckley's heydey, I think we only averaged over 7,000 once, and this was playing two divisions higher with much larger away support. Last time we averaged over 8,000 was in 1981/82, almost 40 years ago.

Barring an unlikely turn of events and rapid promotion to the Premier League, we've got pretty much no chance of getting anywhere near 8,000 regularly. Lincoln have had the 'footballing fortune' we've heard so much about and have managed to push on from there, but don't think for a minute that they will keep these attendances up when they begin to struggle in the next couple of years.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 354 - 379
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 18, 2019, 12:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
The towns (Grimsby/Meggies) have been hit massively financially. We love the town and surrounding areas, but unfortunately planners/business' etc don't see things through the same rose tinted glasses we do. Some perceive the place as a sh1t hole, but, it's our sh1t hole.

Without massive investment in the area this will continue but the freeman street project looks very promising indeed. Let's hope the council stop p1ssing money up the wall and actually concentrate on what can benefit the area.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 355 - 379
1mickylyons
January 18, 2019, 12:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Maringer

During Buckley's heydey, I think we only averaged over 7,000 once, and this was playing two divisions higher with much larger away support. Last time we averaged over 8,000 was in 1981/82, almost 40 years ago.

Barring an unlikely turn of events and rapid promotion to the Premier League, we've got pretty much no chance of getting anywhere near 8,000 regularly. Lincoln have had the 'footballing fortune' we've heard so much about and have managed to push on from there, but don't think for a minute that they will keep these attendances up when they begin to struggle in the next couple of years.

This thinking annoys me because statistically you are 100% correct in what you say BUT I would argue the case the football club have never once shown any initiative or drive to get the gates up on a consistant basis. They will always do an offer which is much appreciated and sees an increase of support but never a sustained push.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 356 - 379
realist
January 18, 2019, 12:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
intercourse the exiles. They have left and contribute nothing to the area. Why should they get special treatment from the club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 357 - 379
forza ivano
January 18, 2019, 12:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,154
Gold Stars: 265
just out of interest, why on earth would Fenty want to spend time in Belarus? is he studying 'how to be a leader like Alexander Lukashenko' coz i can see certain similarities in leadership styles and abilities!?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 358 - 379
Northbank Mariner
January 18, 2019, 12:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from realist
intercourse the exiles. They have left and contribute nothing to the area. Why should they get special treatment from the club?

You really are one of the largest mammary glands I have never had the displeasure of meeting...thank intercourse!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 359 - 379
38 Pages Prev ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Takeover

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.