Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Takeover
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 296 Guests

Takeover

This thread currently has 61,110 views. Print
38 Pages Prev ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Next All Recommend Thread
denni266
January 17, 2019, 9:38am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
He prob thought the applause was for him  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 330 - 379
Ipswin
January 17, 2019, 11:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Gaffer58
, as I own my house, if it requires a new garage roof I pay to have it repaired, if I then decide to sell my house 3 years later I do not expect to charge any prospective owner the cost of these repairs on top of the value of the house. .

Of course you do, indirectly maybe, but by repairing the roof you maintain or even possibly increase the value of your house so what you spent on repairs in included in the value. You'd sell it for a lot less if there was a bloody great hole in the garage roof!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 331 - 379
1mickylyons
January 17, 2019, 1:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
A few comments regarding possible gates of 15k. I agree it seems far off and given the stats even unlikely BUT I maintain it`s still possible to achieve that figure given the catchment area and the right set of circumstances.IF Town had a date for relocating to a new stadium and it was happening the first thing they should do is the hard sell on remaining games at BP. I recall Hull doing this at Boothferry Park and it`s stood them in good stead crowds wise since albeit they have also had a successful period on the pitch. My point is far better to enter any new ground with a average home support of 7k at BP as oppossed to the 4-4.5k we currently get. The support taken to Wembley,Cardiff and various Cup games over the past 20 year`s tells you Town have a lot more than 4k people with an interest in them. I would argue in terms of floating support we must be one of the biggest Clubs in the bottom 2 Divisions and it is upto the football club to get them back with a prolonged campaign of marketing. I can`t recall since 79 when I first attended this club doing anything different to get extra fan`s in consistantly and less still to keep them? I have raised this with the MT who agreed with my points and put them to the Club these points were looked at and though I feel nothing went far enough they have tried to implement the odd bit. Now clearly it`s not enough I mean Lg 2 football isn`t really that appealing given our history but if we don`t believe we can once again rise to the Championship level as a Club not really any point the Club carrying on or the fan`s supporting it . I expect GTFC back in the Championship within the next 10 year`s because football tends to go in cycles and we are well overdue another crack. The key this time is the fooball club getting it right off the pitch at the same time as on it and sustaining and building that momentum. They got it right in the early 80s and 80-81 saw an average home support of 11k which slowly ebbed away to where we are now. Buckley late 80s early 90s got us upto around 7k but we failed him off the pitch.The biggest failure was after 98 when the Club had huge momentum and failed to hit home that support from within the Town and when all seemed lost they got another smaller stab after beating FGR and failed again. That needs looking at the support is there in my opinion the Club just can`t harness it correctly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 332 - 379
rancido
January 17, 2019, 2:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Right for who? Himself, the club or both. I believe he's out for himself the way he's held his "benign" loans over the club like a hangman's noose.

JF's appaling track record suggests he is not the right person to judge who is best to run the club.

If he truly was just out for himself then surely he would have accepted the proposed takeover , if just to get his money back? The fact that he suspected that the consortium ( or whatever it was) didn't have the funds to take the club forward indicates that he does have the clubs interests and future at heart. Surely he could so easily have cut and run. He hardly lives in the area now and he could so easily take the money and never bother about setting foot in Grimsby again - he no longer has any business ties here anyway.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 333 - 379
norfuk mariner
January 17, 2019, 2:52pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from 1mickylyons
A few comments regarding possible gates of 15k. I agree it seems far off and given the stats even unlikely BUT I maintain it`s still possible to achieve that figure given the catchment area and the right set of circumstances.IF Town had a date for relocating to a new stadium and it was happening the first thing they should do is the hard sell on remaining games at BP. I recall Hull doing this at Boothferry Park and it`s stood them in good stead crowds wise since albeit they have also had a successful period on the pitch. My point is far better to enter any new ground with a average home support of 7k at BP as oppossed to the 4-4.5k we currently get. The support taken to Wembley,Cardiff and various Cup games over the past 20 year`s tells you Town have a lot more than 4k people with an interest in them. I would argue in terms of floating support we must be one of the biggest Clubs in the bottom 2 Divisions and it is upto the football club to get them back with a prolonged campaign of marketing. I can`t recall since 79 when I first attended this club doing anything different to get extra fan`s in consistantly and less still to keep them? I have raised this with the MT who agreed with my points and put them to the Club these points were looked at and though I feel nothing went far enough they have tried to implement the odd bit. Now clearly it`s not enough I mean Lg 2 football isn`t really that appealing given our history but if we don`t believe we can once again rise to the Championship level as a Club not really any point the Club carrying on or the fan`s supporting it . I expect GTFC back in the Championship within the next 10 year`s because football tends to go in cycles and we are well overdue another crack. The key this time is the fooball club getting it right off the pitch at the same time as on it and sustaining and building that momentum. They got it right in the early 80s and 80-81 saw an average home support of 11k which slowly ebbed away to where we are now. Buckley late 80s early 90s got us upto around 7k but we failed him off the pitch.The biggest failure was after 98 when the Club had huge momentum and failed to hit home that support from within the Town and when all seemed lost they got another smaller stab after beating FGR and failed again. That needs looking at the support is there in my opinion the Club just can`t harness it correctly.

I suspect the exile support as a percentage of total support is higher at GTFC than virtually any other club, hence the large support at special games. For the first ten years of supporting Town (50's and 60s) I saw every game at Blundell Park including reserves, alternative Saturdays when I could not get to first team games and Northern Intermediate Games too. It remains in the blood and you inculcate it into your children but other life pressures and distances involved mean you can't get to home games regularly. I was one of the 22,500 at BP to watch us beat Exeter City in 1972. Costs of getting to Grimsby and going to a Match are prohibitive and I think the aspirational 15,000 is a tough ask given the widespread supporters and costs. Agree with the sentiments though. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 334 - 379
arryarryarry
January 17, 2019, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from rancido

If he truly was just out for himself then surely he would have accepted the proposed takeover , if just to get his money back? The fact that he suspected that the consortium ( or whatever it was) didn't have the funds to take the club forward indicates that he does have the clubs interests and future at heart. Surely he could so easily have cut and run. He hardly lives in the area now and he could so easily take the money and never bother about setting foot in Grimsby again - he no longer has any business ties here anyway.

Did the proposed takeover offer to pay back his loans?
Private Message
Reply: 335 - 379
golfer
January 17, 2019, 3:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,424
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Right for who? Himself, the club or both.  I believe he's out for himself the way he's held his "benign" loans over the club like a hangman's noose.

JF's appaling track record suggests he is not the right person to judge who is best to run the club.

You have a lot of hatred my friend why not sit down and have a nice cup of tea
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 336 - 379
TheRealJohnLewis
January 17, 2019, 3:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from golfer

You have a lot of hatred my friend why not sit down and have a nice cup of tea

No hatred, I just dislike the way he's run our club.

Private Message
Reply: 337 - 379
rancido
January 17, 2019, 7:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from arryarryarry

Did the proposed takeover offer to pay back his loans?

Surely the fact that they wanted to take the club over would indicate that they would buy out JF's interest in the club? He did specifically say that it was their future plans that didn't stack up.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 338 - 379
KingstonMariner
January 17, 2019, 7:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

Surely the fact that they wanted to take the club over would indicate that they would buy out JF's interest in the club? He did specifically say that it was their future plans that didn't stack up.

But he said nothing of how much they offered, and what proportion of the company they wanted. No specifics.

Do you know something that wasn't mentioned in the interview?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 339 - 379
38 Pages Prev ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Takeover

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.