Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Takeover
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 235 Guests

Takeover

This thread currently has 60,701 views. Print
38 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
January 13, 2019, 8:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from chrissy
Another question John,
Would it be possible to build the houses and training facilities at PP,
To fund the new stadium at Freeman St,
I understand the council are keen to have a part of the Freeman St stadium is that a problem with you.?

That shower-It'd be a problem with me-what do you want it called -"The Oxley Colosseum "
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 290 - 379
barralad
January 13, 2019, 9:54pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from golfer

That shower-It'd be a problem with me-what do you want it called -"The Oxley Colosseum "

**Oxby**

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 291 - 379
ginnywings
January 13, 2019, 10:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from barralad

**Oxby**

Geshundeit!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 292 - 379
golfer
January 13, 2019, 10:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from barralad

**Oxby**

So you've heard about it as well !  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 293 - 379
KingstonMariner
January 13, 2019, 10:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings
Didn't watch the interview myself, but perhaps he meant that there are not the enabling projects to be had anywhere other than PP, which is a big plot of land, and lends itself to a housing development?

Well he had the perfect opportunity to clarify when he posted on here earlier. But instead he chose to address a point that Big Dog made out of context.

Besides, if the money was there, there's nothing to stop us building the stadium by Freemo and packing PP with houses.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 294 - 379
KingstonMariner
January 13, 2019, 10:44pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Dear John

I think it was my post which used the Main Stand as merely a random "for example of an unforseen cost" rather than being an impending threat. It wasn't even a question to answer. The point I was making was about how underfunded we are for the club to progress rather than a criticism of the current standard of care and maintenance.

I believe the "investment" in the youth set up comes from a good percentage of the EFL annual solidarity payment and can't be spent on anything else. Nobody is doubting that the club spends everything it receives from the EFL or the fanbase on the playing budget and the upkeep of the facilities to the best of its ability, but that isn't the question that everyone is asking. as you would know from reading this thread.

In the spirit of openness could you answer the following questions please?

Is the club actively looking to relocate to a new stadium? If so, has it the funds to progress with it? Even just the administrative costs, ie architects, planning etc?

Why does there seem to be a lack of clarity about what the council are proposing regarding Freeman Street and why are you in the dark if you're a councillor yourself?

Why do you keep insisting that PP is the best way forward and in another breath outline the reasons why it most likely will never come to fruition?

Are the board of GTFC PLC actively looking for new investment at this present moment in time or have you given up? Are you moving heaven and earth to find external investment that is badly needed?

If you're looking for new investors, do you think there are better ways to market the club is for sale or open to new investment other than solely the club website which has such a small audience? Do you think this could be improved to widen the net and make it more public knowledge than it is?

What is your vision for the next five, ten and twenty years for the club? To date we haven't got anything other than more of the same? Do you think that is enough to enthuse the fan base and provide a vision for them to buy into and get more more bums on seats? Or is it all on MJ's shoulders and then what happens when he leaves?

I've never doubted that you and SM can balance the books every year and keep the club in a stagnant position but as we're now in 2019 and the football world has moved on at a fast pace in the past thirty years and is leaving us behind in so many ways, we obviously need new investment, fresh ideas and a new stadium. As the custodian of the club can you set out a clear fully costed plan that we can envisage?

Instead of setting facts straight to something that was only used as a for example, could you please answer the questions above about subjects that have dominated this thread instead,. all subject matters that fans are worrying about and have worried about for years regarding the medium and long term health and future of our club.  

I know these are harder questions to answer but as captain of the ship it's part of your responsibility to do so for our club to flourish. If you can answer the questions and give us some positivity then the questions will stop but until there's proof of the club taking strides forward or openly making a concerted and determined effort to drive the club forward, the questions are never going to go away.

A reliable maintenance of stagnation isn't enough for me and many others. What plans are you putting in place to change things for the long term betterment of the funding and infrastructure of the club?

Great questions BG, but he never answers pertinent direct questions, he only addresses points he wants to make.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 295 - 379
Bristol Mariner
January 14, 2019, 7:34pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Getyourfactsright

Morning Fishes, and not wanting to prolong, this already too long post, but it might be worth noting.

The Main Stand is not at 'risk' in the medium term or even the long-term as long as it is, up kept 'and it is' and that risk assessments are mitigated against 'which they are'

The cost of improvements have largely been met by external funding and certainly have not hit and will not hit the playing budget.  

It might help to know that the playing budget can only be 50% of turnover plus permanent investment under salary cap rules. We have committed that sum and any improvements will come from elsewhere. Grants and the likes included.

I maintain that the stadium and it's upkeep, together with the training ground, plus the youth academy are light years ahead of 18 years ago having had considerable investment in them.

Could we have done better 'maybe' do we need new facilities 'yes' but are they well cared for? Nick Dale who is largely responsible these days for the facilities, does a really good job of maintaining the stadium to conform and provide the best match-day experience at BP give a Victorian stadium.  

Kind regards  John Fenty
UTM and fingers xx today

John - any chance of a game of snooker?

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 296 - 379
Bigdog
January 14, 2019, 7:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Great questions BG, but he never answers pertinent direct questions, he only addresses points he wants to make.

The thing is Kingston, we never get an answer to them from the swathes of posters that suddenly appear but never post. They'll red cross away to support John, but is that supporting the future of the club? Club before self every time shouldn't it be? I'm not having a go for having a go's sake at individuals, I'm seriously worried that our club in its present guise will never have the werewithal to deliver the facilities and business model our fans deserve. I'm only asking questions to the person who has chosen to be responsible for that himself. I'm starting to get on a bit and would like to see us being something better than non-league or perennial League Two strugglers. The odd manager like Jolley in five or six Harry Merry-Go -Rounds may come along from time to time but it's not sustainable is it? And I think it's more honest to ask these questions when things are looking up on the pitch a bit. I'll wait for any counter arguments about why it's wrong to ask these questions or better still someone finally outlines how the club is going to achieve a brighter sustainable future, but years go by and not a single answer arrives. I think it was this month that JF promised spades would be breaking ground at Peaks Parkway, yet here we are four years on, nothing's happened, we're none the wiser, and the last video painted a pretty depressing and confused picture of stagnation off the pitch. These questions should never be put to one side or forgotten..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 297 - 379
Marinerz93
January 14, 2019, 11:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Getyourfactsright

Morning Fishes, and not wanting to prolong, this already too long post, but it might be worth noting.

The Main Stand is not at 'risk' in the medium term or even the long-term as long as it is, up kept 'and it is' and that risk assessments are mitigated against 'which they are'

The cost of improvements have largely been met by external funding and certainly have not hit and will not hit the playing budget.  

It might help to know that the playing budget can only be 50% of turnover plus permanent investment under salary cap rules. We have committed that sum and any improvements will come from elsewhere. Grants and the likes included.

I maintain that the stadium and it's upkeep, together with the training ground, plus the youth academy are light years ahead of 18 years ago having had considerable investment in them.

Could we have done better 'maybe' do we need new facilities 'yes' but are they well cared for? Nick Dale who is largely responsible these days for the facilities, does a really good job of maintaining the stadium to conform and provide the best match-day experience at BP give a Victorian stadium.  

Kind regards  John Fenty
UTM and fingers xx today

Come back when you've got something to crow about

[img]https://i.imgur.com/VH9L5u9.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 298 - 379
KingstonMariner
January 15, 2019, 1:03am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

The thing is Kingston, we never get an answer to them from the swathes of posters that suddenly appear but never post. They'll red cross away to support John, but is that supporting the future of the club? [NO] Club before self every time shouldn't it be?[YES] I'm not having a go for having a go's sake at individuals, I'm seriously worried that our club in its present guise will never have the wherewithall to deliver the facilities and business model our fans deserve. I'm only asking questions to the person who has chosen to be responsible for that himself. I'm starting to get on a bit and would like to see us being something better than non-league or perennial League Two strugglers. The odd manager like Jolley in five or six Harry Merry-Go -Rounds may come along from time to time but it's not sustainable is it? And I think it's more honest to ask these questions when things are looking up on the pitch a bit. I'll wait for any counter arguments about why it's wrong to ask these questions or better still someone finally outlines how the club is going to achieve a brighter sustainable future, but years go by and not a single answer arrives. I think it was this month that JF promised spades would be breaking ground at Peaks Parkway, yet here we are four years on, nothing's happened, we're none the wiser, and the last video painted a pretty depressing and confused picture of stagnation off the pitch. These questions should never be put to one side or forgotten..

Completely agree BG.

There's never a 'right time' with some people. When we're struggling it's 'we need everyone to be singing from the same hymn sheet'. When we're doing well it's 'don't upset the applecart'.

JF has taken on this role. He fought for control when he talked the Trust into giving him those shares. His choice. His team around him in the board. His vision to move to PP. Which he can't seem to let go of. It's good to have vision but when the plan's  unrealistic you have to move on and adapt the plan and get on with it.

And like you, I'm not getting any younger.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 299 - 379
38 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Takeover

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.