Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Takeover
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 361 Guests

Takeover

This thread currently has 60,695 views. Print
38 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... Next All Recommend Thread
tarka
January 11, 2019, 3:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +891
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from moosey_club

We were....he started it by making a largely unnecessary statement.

Unnecessary? Making a statement about a rumoured takeover isn't unnecessary, neither is an update on the stadium.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 250 - 379
MuddyWaters
January 11, 2019, 3:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from 4055
Can we give John Fenty a break, things are going pretty well at Town now , lets continue this positive flow and cut out the anti Fenty posts for now. John Fenty is a Town  fan just like us. I await the red crosses but its my hopeful wish we can all pull together for the benefit of GTFC.

A simple statement that said something along the lines of - there was some interest, we carried out due diligence and they've gone away would have done.

We simply did not need to be reminded that he'd been on the board 18 years, we already knew (for whatever reason) he favours Peakes Parkway and we know BP is haemorrhaging cash (he's told us for long enough!)
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 379
rancido
January 11, 2019, 5:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,446
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from MuddyWaters

A simple statement that said something along the lines of - there was some interest, we carried out due diligence and they've gone away would have done.

We simply did not need to be reminded that he'd been on the board 18 years, we already knew (for whatever reason) he favours Peakes Parkway and we know BP is haemorrhaging cash (he's told us for long enough!)

I know what you mean but there are a lot of posters on here who would not have been happy with a simple statement like that. They want all the bases covering and feel they should be privy to all that goes on at BP.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 252 - 379
Fishy_fishtails
January 11, 2019, 5:50pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: -345
Quoted from 4055
Can we give John Fenty a break, things are going pretty well at Town now , lets continue this positive flow and cut out the anti Fenty posts for now. John Fenty is a Town  fan just like us. I await the red crosses but its my hopeful wish we can all pull together for the benefit of GTFC.

Very sensible post imo!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 379
Bigdog
January 11, 2019, 5:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 4055

I understand your sentiment, but you state things are going well. It's true that things are looking up on the pitch, so we should all be happy with that, but the same can't be said about off field matters. We can all pull together when all aspects of the club are going in the right direction, not just what MJ is doing with the team. There are legitimate concerns amongst fans about the lack of progress re the new stadium, the club's apparent lack of effort in trying to attract new investment, so why can't there be one thread out of fifty on here discussing it? If only one thread containing worries about the mid and long term future of the club can ruin any optimism that you could get from the other 49, just don't read this one. There's the team which is looking promising and deserves our backing and then there's the club which is looking far from promising and hasn't for two decades. The team and its manager are transient and once they leave we'll be left with the club again. We all know how quickly things can change in football. Look how fast the optimism of OP dissipated. To cushion the impact of successful managers leaving, sound funding and infrastructure in place always helps in lessening the blow and shortens the number of lean years. So when we're so bereft of a future vision for the club and the new stadium looks like it's being put on the back burner due to the seemingly lack of urgency in the video, why can't concerned fans discuss it? And why can't fans who are less concerned read about something else?  All the positivity around the team and MJ is being built upon quicksand unless we get necessary external funding in as quickly as possible. The floodlight pylons need a huge repair and where's the money coming for that? It can only be from the playing budget as we aren't attracting any new investment, and what will be next? The Main Stand getting refused a safety certificate? What would happen then? We desperately need a fresh cash injection and fresh ideas and impetus at the club to drag us into the 21st century and also to insure us from any unseen eventualities that could impact severely on playing budget etc. The lack of clarity and urgency for future planning in the video left me fearful for the mid to long term future and I'm pretty sure many others think that too. While worrying and discussing it, it doesn't detract me in any way from being excited about the team Jolley is building, just two different subjects re GTFC that deserve polar opposite feelings and I'm quite capable of separating the two. I'm miffed that more fans aren't talking about the off field problems we have instead of ignoring them and concentrating solely on Jolley, because I'm sure one day the lack of anger and disquiet from some will come back to bite us in the bottom as lack of progress off the pitch will severely impact the team on the pitch. After eighteen years of stagnation and the current lack of vision or urgency shown by JF, not enough pressure is being put on the board to move the club forward off the pitch in my humble opinion..  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 379
Limerick Mariner
January 11, 2019, 6:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,553
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from 4055

No.

He is a failure. Not because of anything to do with the playing, but because a large number of clubs have long overtaken GTFC in the quality of their stadium, hospitality and conferencing, training and other facilities. He is clearly not capable of delivering in that respect and the club will be become more and more of a backwater club as a result, success on the pitch will be a temporary blip. If Jolley does really well he will be off. 30 years ago the likelihood of Shrewsbury Town poaching a manager from GTFC would have been negligible, likewise Scunthorpe / Doncaster / Rotherham / Lincoln etc...he has presided that over the decline if he is a true fan he needs to accept that and help find people who can deliver...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 255 - 379
TownSNAFU5
January 11, 2019, 7:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Bigdog, you have identified a number of realistic  potential risks and costs to GTFC operating as a viable business and football club sometime in the future.

The caveat being that no additional funding is received or made available to fund them.

Taking the above potential costs from the playing budget is a worry.

The Board should be looking at these risks and how to manage and fund them.  This is prudent and part of their responsibilities. Also identifying contingencies (if the Main Stand was closed).

If the Board are unable or unwilling to cover these potential risks and costs, then they should look harder at attracting and engaging with other parties than can supply new investment, ideas and energy.  Change is good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 256 - 379
TownSNAFU5
January 11, 2019, 7:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Bigdog, you have identified a number of realistic  potential risks and costs to GTFC operating as a viable business and football club sometime in the future.

The caveat being that no additional funding is received or made available to fund them.

Taking the above potential costs from the playing budget is a worry.

The Board should be looking at these risks and how to manage and fund them.  This is prudent and part of their responsibilities. Also identifying contingencies (if the Main Stand was closed).

If the Board are unable or unwilling to cover these potential risks and costs, then they should look harder at attracting and engaging with other parties than can supply new investment, ideas and energy.  Change is good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 257 - 379
Gaffer58
January 11, 2019, 7:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
The problem with having the " benign " loans is that any extra income, e.g., this years cup run, will just go to pay some off, instead of being used as additional investment in the club, so basically we just tread water each year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 379
ginnywings
January 11, 2019, 8:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
If we can't secure the requisite funding for a new ground, then at some point we are going to have to find funding to improve BP. The floodlights and the Main stand are on their last legs, and the Osmond isn't far behind, so it's not even a case of updating them because we would want to, more a case of we will have to at some point. We can't keep going on putting a sticking plaster over the cracks forever if we are going to be there for some time to come. Where's the money going to come from? I can see a floodlight fund starting up if they get condemned and the fans having to dig into their pockets again at some point. Maybe it's time to stop dreaming of a new ground, and start to think of ways to give the old home a face lift?

Do we just ignore all this and concentrate on the team because they are starting to show some promise? Do we just stick our fingers in our ears and hope it all goes away? Smacks of fiddling while Rome burns to me.

As fans, of course we have concerns over the future direction of the club, and the future direction of the club is determined by the board, chief of which is JF. So as fans, we are going to discuss him and the other board members on a GTFC fans forum, are we not? I have absolutely no axe to grind with JF, and in my brief times talking to him, he's a decent bloke. Doesn't mean that he can't be called out, or held to account, as anyone in his position should be. He's the main director of our local team and a councillor, so public scrutiny goes with the territory.

For the record, i think he was right to comment on recent speculation over a takeover, but i can understand those who think he should have maybe kept it a bit more brief. I didn't watch it personally, so i have no comment on the full content of the interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 259 - 379
38 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Takeover

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.