January 4, 2019, 12:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,534
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I'll put this point out there ..

Describe to me the definition of "a striker," either I am missing the point or I've forgotten 40 years of football knowledge over night...

He may not ever be a great goal scorer or a scorer of great goals a la Alan Connell but surely at 22 he should have had more than 1 senior goal and the odd assist by now...
No one said he doesn't bring something to the squad, he's a big unit, he could and should be bullying defenders but that makes him what, a good forward rather than a good striker??...

Call me pedantic but all I'm getting at is that so far he hasn't shown to me that as a lone striker playing up top as some think he should be as another option to Thomas that he has the ability to score the goals that role requires..

But as I've said, he hope he proves me wrong....really nice lad and I want him to make it, I just, at the moment, cannot see it..

...and there's me thinking you were called Northbank Mariner 111

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
sam gy
January 4, 2019, 12:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
He's a forward player, sure, but maybe he isn't a 'striker'.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
louth_in_the_south
January 4, 2019, 12:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Could Cardwell be a good example of how the elite academy system doesn’t work? Young player with obvious potential gets poached for £75k into a big academy and disappears, has the belief sucked out of him and ends up aged 21 having to rebuild his career at a club like Town . It seems to me like his career is kickstarting 2-3 years later than it should’ve done and will probably take a year or 2 to get firing on all cylinders again. He’s def got something about him and I’m confident he’ll be an asset and do well for Gtfc

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
ginnywings
January 4, 2019, 12:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I can't see what the argument is really. Jolley has shown (mostly) sound judgement so far and he thinks he's worth another year to develop. He either will or he won't develop into a more regular goalscorer, but surely he's worth another year to find out. As others have said, it's not all about scoring goals, and even at 22, he's still not had too much game time yet, and i doubt he is even fully match fit after his injury. He has a lot of good attributes and you never know, he may suddenly click in front of goal, once he gets the chance up top, instead of filling in out wide as he is now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
forza ivano
January 4, 2019, 1:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,135
Gold Stars: 265
i hope you're right Ginny, although jolley obviously got it badly wrong with robles so he's not foolproof.
my impression is he's like a reverse image of hooper (hooper = minimal effort but has always scored goals, cardwell = loads of effort but has never scored goals) and i just think they'll both end up at the same level in a couple of years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
Maringer
January 4, 2019, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I think his efforts at the tail end of last season contributed a good deal to us staying up. No goals, obviously, but perhaps helping to create the space for the chances and goals we did manage to get?

I wonder how many of the Cardwell doubters were among those who throught that LJL was poor as well?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
forza ivano
January 4, 2019, 2:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,135
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Maringer
I think his efforts at the tail end of last season contributed a good deal to us staying up. No goals, obviously, but perhaps helping to create the space for the chances and goals we did manage to get?

I wonder how many of the Cardwell doubters were among those who throught that LJL was poor as well?

not me - hugely appreciated what the shop achieved. ps as to his efforts at the back end - we scored 9 in 9 games of which 4 were penalties! mind you he did con the ref at swindon for our winner, so i will give you that as a  significant contribution
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 4, 2019, 3:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
I can't see what the argument is really. Jolley has shown (mostly) sound judgement so far and he thinks he's worth another year to develop. He either will or he won't develop into a more regular goalscorer, but surely he's worth another year to find out. As others have said, it's not all about scoring goals, and even at 22, he's still not had too much game time yet, and i doubt he is even fully match fit after his injury. He has a lot of good attributes and you never know, he may suddenly click in front of goal, once he gets the chance up top, instead of filling in out wide as he is now.

In a good side you need the water carriers as well as the star turns. Jolley has signed him because he knows what he can (and cannot) do and he will do a job in a number of roles when injuries and suspensions hit the team. In the meantime, as you say, Cardwell is only young and he may just get that extra gear he needs and turn into a matchwinner. Worth a punt for not much risk in my opinion.

Just to take up Maringer's point on LJL, Cardwell is nothing like the same sort of player. The only thing they have in common is a lack of goals. If Cardwell took penalties he might have scored as many times as LJL.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 4, 2019, 5:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from forza ivano
i hope you're right Ginny, although jolley obviously got it badly wrong with robles so he's not foolproof.
my impression is he's like a reverse image of hooper (hooper = minimal effort but has always scored goals, cardwell = loads of effort but has never scored goals) and i just think they'll both end up at the same level in a couple of years

Robles was a different situation though, this was a player he hadnt seen much of at the time of signing him but probably had low wages and saw something that made him think it was worth a gamble or something different

With cardwell he’s known him alot longer, plays him and he’s been in the starting 11 recently and theyre seeing enough improvement to give him another deal. Cliftons developing amazingly well and cardwell probably could too if he keeps his starting place
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cardwell signs contract extension

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.