4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 3, 2019, 3:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I would imagine that the next year will be make or break. If he develops further, we can offer him something longer, if he doesn't, then a 1 year deal won't break the bank. I think he has potential and a one year extension is about right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
codcheeky
January 3, 2019, 4:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from ginnywings
I would imagine that the next year will be make or break. If he develops further, we can offer him something longer, if he doesn't, then a 1 year deal won't break the bank. I think he has potential and a one year extension is about right.

Agree with this, also a massive boost to his confidence, hopefully he can kick on that little bit, certainly puts the effort in and with a bit of luck and a few goals he could be a big asset
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
Kris2
January 3, 2019, 4:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Jolly sees something in him and there is a  player in there somewhere. Depends if we can bring that potential out of him though. Jolly clearly has a plan to build a young,hungry side and develop them and that';s something a lot of people have been calling for after a few years of ageing journeymen so we'll see how much the development pays off. The work he puts in for the rest of the season and next season will likely make or break his career.

Don't want to end up as another player who started at a big club as a youngster who never reached his potential and then fell down the leagues into non league part time football. If he builds on his strengths and works on his weaknesses to get better at those areas of his game then I think he could be a top player for us and in the future play higher up the leagues.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
January 3, 2019, 6:15pm
Guest User
Reading paid Hull £75000 for him.
Reply: 13 - 38
sydney
January 3, 2019, 9:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Does put a lot of effort in and prepared to believe in why MJ seems in him
But needs to score a goal or two please
Else Vernam will be preferred ahead mostly
But pleased with the overall message it sends out
Come on Town, believe on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
HertsGTFC
January 4, 2019, 7:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Good move by the club young and inexperienced player learning his trade and looking better month by month I think.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
moosey_club
January 4, 2019, 8:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from 140067
Reading paid Hull £75000 for him.

Was told by someone who worked in youth acadamy set ups and scouts at that level that Cardwell was outstanding at his age during his mid teen years and was sought after by several clubs.
Doesn't always transfer to adulthood i know but then again players are also discarded quickly at 16 - 17.
Although Bignot could be condemned for alot of what he did, his stated long term vision was to target that discarded age group between youth and first team to give them time to bridge the gap.  Jolley certainly appears to be supportive of a similar strategy....that is a coaches approach to the game as opposed to a managers approach i suppose and hopefully one, given time, will prove fruitful.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
Jarmo.Is.God
January 4, 2019, 8:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
It's very easy to forget he has only just turned 22, some players only just starting to get involved in the professional game at that age, and he's played around 50 already...

Gives us a different type of striker to Thomas, but should definitely be playing central, rather than out wide
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
bedders78
January 4, 2019, 9:40am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from moosey_club

Was told by someone who worked in youth acadamy set ups and scouts at that level that Cardwell was outstanding at his age during his mid teen years and was sought after by several clubs.

So Was Mad Gav

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
lew chaterleys lover
January 4, 2019, 9:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from moosey_club

Doesn't always transfer to adulthood i know but then again players are also discarded quickly at 16 - 17.
Although Bignot could be condemned for alot of what he did, his stated long term vision was to target that discarded age group between youth and first team to give them time to bridge the gap.  Jolley certainly appears to be supportive of a similar strategy....that is a coaches approach to the game as opposed to a managers approach i suppose and hopefully one, given time, will prove fruitful.

History is littered with young players who were the real deal in their early and mid-teens, only to find it much more difficult in the pro game.

He has got a decent touch for a big man, but I am a bit surprised he has been given a contract extension; Jolley must feel he can do a job for the squad at the moment though which is fair enough.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cardwell signs contract extension

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.