December 31, 2018, 10:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Mike Ashley isn't buying the club!

His brother might be though....

His brother is local, married to a local woman here, and together, I've heard they are interested in the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Cloudy
December 31, 2018, 11:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Frying pan/fire?

I do know his brother is Grimsby based although I have no idea if he has any money
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 96
Davec
December 31, 2018, 11:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Cloudy
Frying pan/fire?

I do know his brother is Grimsby based although I have no idea if he has any money

It seems in December 2017 Sports Direct wanted to pay him 11 million but shareholders rejected it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 96
Jarmo.Is.God
December 31, 2018, 11:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Cloudy
Frying pan/fire?

He has money, just not Mike's amount of money, owns a helicopter etc.

However my understanding, is that Mike isn't allowed to buy another club once sold Newcastle? not sure of the laws/rules of that side.

So I've been told his brother would be the main owner, with Mike's 'backing'

All this is a rumour through contacts that know the family, could be a wind up, could be true, just a bit weird they told me, thought nothing off it, then I see a few post on social media of similar stuff
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 96
lew chaterleys lover
December 31, 2018, 11:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Cloudy
Frying pan/fire?

Are we going to stick in the frying pan forever then, and never have a fresh start?

I doubt whether the rumours are true, but surely we have got to be receptive to any possible new buyers after 16 years of almost total misery?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 96
Hagrid
December 31, 2018, 11:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,383
Gold Stars: 532
I also heard this. But who knows
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 96
Dan
December 31, 2018, 11:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Well his brother runs / ran a company that managed international delivery for Sports Direct and was registered to an address near Hewitts Circus so he does have some connection to the area.

https://www.ft.com/content/1ea7d2b0-6631-11e6-a08a-c7ac04ef00aa

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 96
Mariner93er
December 31, 2018, 11:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Well Fenty has been holding out to sell the club to the right person hasn't he? Surely an Ashley wouldn't be that person.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 96
forza ivano
December 31, 2018, 11:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
What would be the point? Ashley is no lover of football just a businessman through n through. Surely that's the problem with him n the geordies? He wants to run it as s profitable business, won't spend any money and wants to make a profit when he sells. Cant see why hed want to waste a couple of s million on a small club that has got no connection to and there's no profit to be made at the end of it. Doesn't make any sense imho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 96
psgmariner
December 31, 2018, 11:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Heard this from two separate people last night. Don’t believe it though.

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 96
diehardmariner
December 31, 2018, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from forza ivano
What would be the point? Ashley is no lover of football just a businessman through n through. Surely that's the problem with him n the geordies? He wants to run it as s profitable business, won't spend any money and wants to make a profit when he sells. Cant see why hed want to waste a couple of s million on a small club that has got no connection to and there's no profit to be made at the end of it. Doesn't make any sense imho

All part of the Sports Direct masterplan.  Build us a crappy identikit stadium, redevelop Blundell Park as a Sports Direct distribution centre (complete with boat access over the railway line and out to the Estuary) as part of their plan to conquer the European market.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 96
pizzzza
December 31, 2018, 12:14pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Yeah was told something similar the other day,  personally I doubt there is anything in it. 2+2=5 springs to mind....
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 96
monkeyboy
December 31, 2018, 12:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Grasping at straws for me, David Ross would be more likely and that is not likely.
Fenty wants his cash back, no one in there right mind would pay that in the current situation.

Cant see the Council letting the land go either and would want to charge a fortune to sell or lease the land, i reckon whatever happens will put the long term security of the club at huge risk.
Dont move we will be left behind  and move and its a risk unless someone is willing to chuck a risky 10 million investment into the pot.

We have great fans we just dont have mega rich fans, shame david ross aint a fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 96
ska face
December 31, 2018, 12:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
Aye just what we need, some cockney gobshite who would rather his staff urine themselves or give birth in the toilets at work than lose a few pence-worth of labour. People like Ashley need lining up against a wall.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 96
devs
December 31, 2018, 12:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
I think Mike's brother owns Ashley Blinds in Louth?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 96
Tommy
December 31, 2018, 12:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I think the story on that "Grimsby Independant" site has basically given people free reign to come up with rumours of who might be buying GTFC. And because of that story, people are more likely to buy into these rumours.

I don't attach any credit to a rumour being heard from different people, as there's every chance it could be just started from one person making it up and then each person told telling 3 people, then they each tell 3 people, and so on. Before you know it it's spread and you've heard 3/4 people tell the same thing they've heard but it was all from the same one person.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 96
GrimRob
December 31, 2018, 12:35pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Well John Ashley has been involved in some controversy in the past.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42107736

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/10/whos-who-at-sports-direct-mike-ashley

John Ashley, IT director, 54

If there is another brain behind the success of Sports Direct – aside from the founder’s – it belongs to the other Ashley. John Ashley is Mike’s older brother and a computer science graduate who in effect built the company’s IT system from the ground up, since starting at the retailer in 1989. The result is far from flashy – but it works.

“Sports Direct has a very bespoke IT system which is a very strong part of SD,” says one insider. “They are very basic systems but they do exactly what they want them to do.” The unpretentious nature of his work is also mirrored by Ashley’s personal style. “He wears a lumberjack shirt that’s too big and baggy trousers that are too big that he’s forever pulling up,” says one former Sports Direct worker.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 96
Bigdog
December 31, 2018, 12:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from forza ivano

Newcastle are exactly where they should be in the football pyramid in my opinion and achieved that without going into debt. Ashley certainly backed them to get back into the Premier League when they got relegated and had the acumen to get Benitez (who's no mug) to manage them. How much would they have to spend to rise three or four places in the Premier League? 200, 300, 400 mill and get into debt? If there's a slightest hint in this rumour, I'd have every faith in him (or by backing his brother) getting a new stadium built quicker than anyone else and helping Town up a league or two. He may be many things, but most of all he's an exceptionally talented businessman and has more brains than people give him credit for. Ruthless yes, reckless no, and say what you want, if he sold Newcastle tomorrow, he'd be leaving them in a stronger position than they've been since the Keegan days. To even consider or prefer staying as we are against someone of the ilk of Mike Ashley or family member to get involved with his backing is laughable. Some of you lot are scared of your own shadow sometimes. If anyone could turn himself a profit with regeneration opportunites going begging while raising our club from the ashes it would be someone like Mike Ashley. I'd rather have him backing us in some way rather than a rival in our own division. I know people who have worked fairly closely with him for a long time and would advise everyone not to take his public image driven by the press as the only facet to his persona and more importantly, he gets things done.

Having said all of this, I can't imagine it ever happening, but would be pleasantly surprised if it came to fruition..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 96
WetFlannel
December 31, 2018, 1:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Ashley backing them to come back up is like when people say ‘Fenty financed us through the Conference!’ In that neither of them would have needed to do so in the first place if they hadn’t been so tight fisted with the budget whilst in their original leagues in the first place. Newcastle have the £100 million a season every other premier league team has yet have a net profit in transfer expenditure, whilst teams much smaller like Bournemouth are outbidding them. Rafa Benítez is working wonders and they’re an EPL team despite Ashley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 96
Mrs Doyle
December 31, 2018, 1:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

He has money, just not Mike's amount of money, owns a helicopter etc.

However my understanding, is that Mike isn't allowed to buy another club once sold Newcastle? not sure of the laws/rules of that side.

So I've been told his brother would be the main owner, with Mike's 'backing'

All this is a rumour through contacts that know the family, could be a wind up, could be true, just a bit weird they told me, thought nothing off it, then I see a few post on social media of similar stuff

Is it that guy near Caburn Hill on the A46 he has a helicopter and pad nice place as well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 96
marinerdazza
December 31, 2018, 1:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
The grimsbyindependent.com domain was registered about a month ago. Sounds like someone having a laugh/sh*tstirring to be honest.

I’d give it no more credibility than someone on here with three posts in two years...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 96
forza ivano
December 31, 2018, 1:38pm

Exile
Quoted from Bigdog

Newcastle are exactly where they should be in the football pyramid in my opinion and achieved that without going into debt. Ashley certainly backed them to get back into the Premier League when they got relegated and had the acumen to get Benitez (who's no mug) to manage them. How much would they have to spend to rise three or four places in the Premier League? 200, 300, 400 mill and get into debt? If there's a slightest hint in this rumour, I'd have every faith in him (or by backing his brother) getting a new stadium built quicker than anyone else and helping Town up a league or two. He may be many things, but most of all he's an exceptionally talented businessman and has more brains than people give him credit for. Ruthless yes, reckless no, and say what you want, if he sold Newcastle tomorrow, he'd be leaving them in a stronger position than they've been since the Keegan days. To even consider or prefer staying as we are against someone of the ilk of Mike Ashley or family member to get involved with his backing is laughable. Some of you lot are scared of your own shadow sometimes. If anyone could turn himself a profit with regeneration opportunites going begging while raising our club from the ashes it would be someone like Mike Ashley. I'd rather have him backing us in some way rather than a rival in our own division. I know people who have worked fairly closely with him for a long time and would advise everyone not to take his public image driven by the press as the only facet to his persona and more importantly, he gets things done.

Having said all of this, I can't imagine it ever happening, but would be pleasantly surprised if it came to fruition..

But where twould he profit come from when he's had to shell out £2 million in the first place and then there's the £15 million to find for the new ground?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 96
Bigdog
December 31, 2018, 2:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from forza ivano

But where twould he profit come from when he's had to shell out £2 million in the first place and then there's the £15 million to find for the new ground?

Working with the council to regenerate in areas that need it. ie if investor is going to build the stadium and spark the regeneration process, what would the council offer in enabling projects and how much profit could be squeezed from those enabling projects by a skilled operator? Far better to have someone who has the cash to dangle as a carrot for cooperation rather than someone else not having a pot to pisss in looking for handouts. Stronger bargaining position etc etc. Ashley came from knocking out crapp off a market stall to where he is now, someone like him would be in a far better position than me to outline how to achieve it. There's plenty of shades of grey in business rather than the black and white of buyout and stadium build costs..

(Still only chewing the fat over a far-fetched rumour by the way)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 96
gaz57
December 31, 2018, 3:03pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Bigdog

Working with the council to regenerate in areas that need it. ie if investor is going to build the stadium and spark the regeneration process, what would the council offer in enabling projects? Far better to have someone who has the cash to dangle as a carrot for cooperation rather than someone else not having a pot to pisss in looking for handouts. Stronger bargaining position etc etc. Ashley came from knocking out crapp off a market stall to where he is now, someone like him would be in a far better position than me to outline how to achieve it. There's plenty of shades of grey in business rather than the black and white of buyout and stadium build costs..

(Still only chewing the fat over a far-fetched rumour by the way)

Life goes in circles, from selling crap on a market stall to owning a football stadium next to Fremo market.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 96
OllieGTFC
December 31, 2018, 3:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
If the rumour wasn’t true then surely the club would of made a statement about this ?

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 96
Tommy
December 31, 2018, 3:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
If the Club responded to every daft rumour doing the rounds they'd never get anything else done.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 96
denni266
December 31, 2018, 3:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from OllieGTFC
If the rumour wasn’t true then surely the club would of made a statement about this ?

Thats a fair point to make, But there has not been a lot coming out the board room for months
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 96
AdamHaddock
December 31, 2018, 3:35pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
I remember Mike Ashley necking a non alcoholic pint in front of the geordies to try and fit in. What will this guy do? Swallow a haddock and chips in one go and end up with peas round his face?

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 96
Gaffer58
December 31, 2018, 4:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
You never know, his brother might be a town fan but just doesn't shout about it. He might want to take over and hopefully if he's got the funds run it himself with no interest/ interference from Mike Ashley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 96
GrimRob
December 31, 2018, 4:29pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Mike Ashley is the 58th richest person in the country, he's not somebody you'd turn away.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 96
forza ivano
December 31, 2018, 4:32pm

Exile
Quoted from Gaffer58
You never know, his brother might be a town fan but just doesn't shout about it. He might want to take over and hopefully if he's got the funds run it himself with no interest/ interference from Mike Ashley.

Yeah, right. And pigs might fly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 96
grimsby pete
December 31, 2018, 4:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,798
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from OllieGTFC

You would have thought so but John is not talking to us anymore.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 96
Poojah
December 31, 2018, 5:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
This feels very much like the kind of rumour started by someone linking a few unrelated facts together in a bid to make it sound vaguely plausible.

Assuming it’s not though, which scenario is favourable? Being owned by someone with vast wealth and an incredibly impressive track record in business whose interest in the club is borne solely out of their own personal gain, or a substantially less wealthy ‘fan’ who no doubt wants the best for the club, but whose running of it has been, shall we say, questionable? I’m not sure there’s an easy answer to that.

To that end, by the time the club is sold, Mike Ashley (and family) will have made a fortune both directly and indirectly out of Newcastle United - how would you realistically acheive that with Town? Short of replicating the success of Bournemouth, which is probably impossible now anyway due to FFP regulations in place now, I’m not sure you could.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 96
golfer
December 31, 2018, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
If Ashley buys this club I will run across B.P.with a white feather stuck up my arsen. For your sakes I hope he doesn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 96
denni266
December 31, 2018, 5:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
I thought the going rate was a sausage  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 96
Grimsby2012
December 31, 2018, 6:05pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
I was told the same thing a few days ago by my step father who used to work high up at FiveStar and is still a close friend of Fenty. He's never lied before so maybe something in it?

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 96
moosey_club
December 31, 2018, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
wonder if their sister Laura would be interested

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 96
MuddyWaters
December 31, 2018, 6:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Grimsby2012
I was told the same thing a few days ago by my step father who used to work high up at FiveStar and is still a close friend of Fenty. He's never lied before so maybe something in it?

Was he on the mezzanine?
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 96
Mrs Doyle
December 31, 2018, 6:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Approval: +4,859
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 96
December 31, 2018, 6:37pm
Guest User
Lad I know who works for a Big 4 accounting firm in Leeds is booked to do some due diligence in Grimsby next month. He is bound by confidentiality but hinted it was a bid deal involving a former fish baron and retail group. Sounds a tad fishy to me but he works with lots of big cheeses.
Reply: 39 - 96
KingstonMariner
December 31, 2018, 6:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 28195
Lad I know who works for a Big 4 accounting firm in Leeds is booked to do some due diligence in Grimsby next month. He is bound by confidentiality but hinted it was a bid deal involving a former fish baron and retail group. Sounds a tad fishy to me but he works with lots of big cheeses.

Cheese factory, and outlet near the docks it is then.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 96
rancido
December 31, 2018, 6:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 28195

Mr Cheddar, Mr Wensleydale and Mr Dunlop -  a well known cheese consortium called Cheese'R'Us!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 96
December 31, 2018, 7:01pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

Mr Cheddar, Mr Wensleydale and Mr Dunlop -  a well known cheese consortium called Cheese'R'Us!

Sounds crackers to me lad
Reply: 42 - 96
HackneyHaddock
December 31, 2018, 7:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 28195

Interesting and could just be part of the Freeman Street due diligence.  I'd also be careful repeating that on here as your mate's confidentiality might well extend to not telling his friend about a prospective project and it ending up on a football forum.  Do him a favour and delete maybe??!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 96
golfer
December 31, 2018, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
A friend of mine who has just set up a club in USA told me in private that he wants Grimsby Town as a feeder club=but it all depends on him being made a "SIR" in the new years honours list-he wouldn't give me any more information as he had a headache following major hair transplant,but he did say his wife was looking at the possibilities of designing us a new kit in stretch lycra so that our team would stand out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 96
Marinerz93
December 31, 2018, 7:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
You had me at good with computers, done deal @ .exe

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 96
petethemariner
December 31, 2018, 7:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Cheese factory, and outlet near the docks it is then.

https://youtu.be/zB8pbUW5n1g
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 96
Theimperialcoroner
December 31, 2018, 8:35pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from golfer
A friend of mine who has just set up a club in USA told me in private that he wants Grimsby Town as a feeder club=but it all depends on him being made a "SIR" in the new years honours list-he wouldn't give me any more information as he had a headache following major hair transplant,but he did say his wife was looking at the possibilities of designing us a new kit in stretch lycra so that our team would stand out.

Can you imagine some of our wider fans in stretch Lycra?
I include myself in the category of no-one needs to see that.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 96
crusty ole pie
December 31, 2018, 8:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,326
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Is it that guy near Caburn Hill on the A46 he has a helicopter and pad nice place as well.

Knock it down just before christmas
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 96
KingstonMariner
December 31, 2018, 9:01pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

And not forgetting Citizen Camembert, the big cheese himself.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 96
Northbank Mariner
December 31, 2018, 9:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Don't forget the Dutch masterclass, Mr Edam, so good he was made backwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 96
bawarmy
December 31, 2018, 11:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,005
Gold Stars: 32
I’ve heard it’s huxford coming back but don’t shoot the messenger. It was a man in a pub that told me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 96
TAGG
January 1, 2019, 12:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
It would be such a good new year if Mr Fentys fingers could be prised of the wheel.

UTM
Happy New Year 👍🏻

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 96
arryarryarry
January 1, 2019, 12:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from bawarmy
I’ve heard it’s huxford coming back but don’t shoot the messenger. It was a man in a pub that told me

I rented a telly from his brother.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 96
bawarmy
January 1, 2019, 1:17am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,005
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from arryarryarry

The man in the pub?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 96
KingstonMariner
January 1, 2019, 1:17am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Most people buy tellies from blokes in pubs. This one must have really seen you coming.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 96
Mallyner
January 1, 2019, 8:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from bawarmy

I hope not, my good friend Roger who had lots of dealings with him both in his job at the airport and as a club steward, told me he is a despicable  man.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 96
arryarryarry
January 1, 2019, 1:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer
If Ashley buys this club I will run across B.P.with a white feather stuck up my arsen. For your sakes I hope he doesn't.

That would be one for the highlights DVD.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 96
arryarryarry
January 1, 2019, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Heard at the match today that Mr Jolley senior is buying the club.🤔
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 96
Mighty_Mariner
January 1, 2019, 1:50pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought he'd passed away?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 96
chipsandgravy
January 1, 2019, 1:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from bawarmy

Horrible man who very nearly bankrupt the club before Fenty bailed the club out!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 96
Davec
January 1, 2019, 1:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from arryarryarry

We've had this rumour before and I'm sick of hearing it now

Michael's father passed away a few years ago now as it's been mentioned on several occasions on here. Let's show some respect!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 96
TheRealJohnLewis
January 1, 2019, 1:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I think his dad is dead, so unlikely!
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 96
Hagrid
January 1, 2019, 1:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,383
Gold Stars: 532
Well said aaron
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 96
Barrattstander
January 1, 2019, 2:18pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +875
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from bawarmy
It was a man in a pub that told me

About as reliable an alleged source of ‘inside’ information as the legendary ‘bloke behind me at the match’

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 96
KingstonMariner
January 1, 2019, 3:08pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Davec

We've had this rumour before and I'm sick of hearing it now

Michael's father passed away a few years ago now as it's been mentioned on several occasions on here. Let's show some respect!

Well obviously arry didn't know. Don't be so fricking holier than thou.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 96
GollyGTFC
January 2, 2019, 11:52am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Horrible man who very nearly bankrupt the club before Fenty bailed the club out!!

I bet you vote Tory! Sounds like them blaming national (GTFC) debt on Labour (Huxford) whilst conveniently forgetting the 2008 credit crunch (ITV Digital collapse) and them (Fenty) having themselves over doubled national (GTFC) debt since coming to power (buying the club).

Huxford was a decent man and he had genuine ambition to take the club further. It’s easy to forget that size wise we are in the same bracket as Wigan, Swansea & Bournemouth who had, and in Bournemouth’s case continue to have, lengthy spells in the Premier League. It’s very easy to wallow in the “Little Grimsby” excuse for complete lack of ambition after all.

Anyway, Huxford’s 80 in a few months so I think the idea that he’s going to return are frankly ridiculous.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 96
Cloudy
January 2, 2019, 12:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I bet you vote Tory! Sounds like them blaming national (GTFC) debt on Labour (Huxford) whilst conveniently forgetting the 2008 credit crunch (ITV Digital collapse) and them (Fenty) having themselves over doubled national (GTFC) debt since coming to power (buying the club).

Huxford was a decent man and he had genuine ambition to take the club further. It’s easy to forget that size wise we are in the same bracket as Wigan, Swansea & Bournemouth who had, and in Bournemouth’s case continue to have, lengthy spells in the Premier League. It’s very easy to wallow in the “Little Grimsby” excuse for complete lack of ambition after all.

Anyway, Huxford’s 80 in a few months so I think the idea that he’s going to return are frankly ridiculous.

What a wierd view. Some bring political claptrap into every argument.
I wouldnt trust Huxford as far as i could throw him. Most will have picked up I am very anti Fenty but I would take him over Huxford any day of the wekk
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 96
chipsandgravy
January 2, 2019, 12:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Oh come on! Decent man you must be joking. He let his overflated ego run away with him and paid wages we couldnt afford that nearly finished the club He was a car dealer with high opinions of himself far more than people had who dealt with him. I'm not a supporter of the Tory party just a supporter of decency which I can assure you Huxford didnt have a lot of, in my opinion of course!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 96
TheRealJohnLewis
January 2, 2019, 12:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Oh come on! Decent man you must be joking. He let his overflated ego run away with him and paid wages we couldnt afford that nearly finished the club He was a car dealer with high opinions of himself far more than people had who dealt with him. I'm not a supporter of the Tory party just a supporter of decency which I can assure you Huxford didnt have a lot of, in my opinion of course!

I've changed one word and this fits to Fenty

Oh come on! Decent man you must be joking. He let his overflated ego run away with him and paid wages we couldnt afford that nearly finished the club He was a Fish Merchant with high opinions of himself

Private Message
Reply: 69 - 96
chipsandgravy
January 2, 2019, 12:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

What a wierd view. Some bring political claptrap into every argument.
I wouldnt trust Huxford as far as i could throw him. Most will have picked up I am very anti Fenty but I would take him over Huxford any day of the wekk

Amen to that!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 96
golfer
January 2, 2019, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Funny the number of posts switch things round to call fcuk out of J.S.F.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 96
TheRealJohnLewis
January 2, 2019, 1:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer

So a post about ownership, shouldn't judge Fenty on his performance?

Private Message
Reply: 72 - 96
1mickylyons
January 2, 2019, 1:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Haha damn it gets earlier every year I see Fenty bashing Season is open

He has done some things right a lot more wrong but he hasn`t turned up got us into massive debt then done a bunk like Huxford did. To me Fenty has tried his best he just hasn`t delievered a very good best and I want someone new in who will do much better for our football club.Anyone who just thinks a shiny new stadium will make it alright need to have a look at Chesterfield and to a lesser degree Barnet. Things need to be done right on and off the pitch and at present on the pitch were looking better than for many years and look to have a genuine plan revolving around younger players.Off the pitch it`s a bit of a shambles all round BUT no worse than in the previous umpteen year`s so we can cope. An active General Manager would work wonders at GTFC with a root and branch approach.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 96
Cloudy
January 2, 2019, 1:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from golfer

Dont see any posts on this thread 'calling the 'fcuk out of J.S. F.'.

You getting paranoid
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 96
psgmariner
January 2, 2019, 2:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
The new ground down Freemo is the key to a new owner. Speak to people at the council if you want the gossip.

Private Message
Reply: 75 - 96
golfer
January 2, 2019, 2:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

You getting paranoid

Quick Specsavers shuts at 5-30
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 96
Stadium
January 2, 2019, 2:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Haha damn it gets earlier every year I see Fenty bashing Season is open

He has done some things right a lot more wrong but he hasn`t turned up got us into massive debt then done a bunk like Huxford did. To me Fenty has tried his best he just hasn`t delievered a very good best and I want someone new in who will do much better for our football club.Anyone who just thinks a shiny new stadium will make it alright need to have a look at Chesterfield and to a lesser degree Barnet. Things need to be done right on and off the pitch and at present on the pitch were looking better than for many years and look to have a genuine plan revolving around younger players.Off the pitch it`s a bit of a shambles all round BUT no worse than in the previous umpteen year`s so we can cope. An active General Manager would work wonders at GTFC with a root and branch approach.

It's hilarious isn't it.
No doubt another 40 odd page thread with ideas about takeovers etc with no action or end result as per normal.
Coupled with the latest ridiculous rumours it's certainly silly season again.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 96
TheRealJohnLewis
January 2, 2019, 2:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

It's hilarious isn't it.
No doubt another 40 odd page thread with ideas about takeovers etc with no action or end result as per normal.
Coupled with the latest ridiculous rumours it's certainly silly season again.

Show me a thread that does have action points and an end result and not just discussion which a fans forum normally is.

Additionally, what are the dates we can discuss JF's failed reign?
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 96
Stadium
January 2, 2019, 2:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Show me a thread that does have action points and an end result and not just discussion which a fans forum normally is.

Additionally, what are the dates we can discuss JF's failed reign?

Exactly my point.
There aren't any.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 96
TheRealJohnLewis
January 2, 2019, 3:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
So what's your issue this discussion/thread?  
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 96
moosey_club
January 2, 2019, 3:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
ooohhh....someone mentioned Huxford...shudders .....

now while i will say he was far more than a car salesman as he has been refererred to... and i believe at least at one time was involved in an airline company running out of Humberside (Eastern Airlines ?? ) which i think was pretty profitable at one point so i think he has more business nouse than you might think ... but ...

he was a fking terrible Sunday League ref and for that i will forever hold him in disdain...pompous, arrogant and officious ....the day a teammate grabbed his book off him as he was being booked and ripped it up in his face will live long in the memory... Match abandoned.... points lost.....sine die for the player and a club warning was well worth witnessing the event.  

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 96
Stadium
January 2, 2019, 3:05pm
Champagne Drinker
So what's your issue this discussion/thread?  

None whatsoever.
It was just an observation.
Carry on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 96
moosey_club
January 2, 2019, 3:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

None whatsoever.
It was just an observation.
Carry on.

back to Citizen Camembert are we ....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 96
golfer
January 2, 2019, 3:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

You getting paranoid

You either think i am J.S.F. or you don't know the meaning of the word paranoid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 96
chipsandgravy
January 2, 2019, 3:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

now while i will say he was far more than a car salesman as he has been refererred to... and i believe at least at one time was involved in an airline company running out of Humberside (Eastern Airlines ?? ) which i think was pretty profitable at one point so i think he has more business nouse than you might think ... but ...

he was a fking terrible Sunday League ref and for that i will forever hold him in disdain...pompous, arrogant and officious ....the day a teammate grabbed his book off him as he was being booked and ripped it up in his face will live long in the memory... Match abandoned.... points lost.....sine die for the player and a club warning was well worth witnessing the event.  

I was well aware of his business history and I can assure you in my eyes never rose above that of a car salesman!!
Anyway enough on this...Embleton has signed till the end of the season!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 96
supertown
January 2, 2019, 3:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,439
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You need to check your information. Swansea is a large city with 3 or 4 times the population of Grimsby . Bournemouth has over twice our population . Wigan is similar but it is a neighbouring town of Manchester
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 96
moosey_club
January 2, 2019, 4:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I was well aware of his business history and I can assure you in my eyes never rose above that of a car salesman!!
Anyway enough on this...Embleton has signed till the end of the season!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 96
grimsby pete
January 2, 2019, 4:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,798
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from moosey_club

Agree 100% about his reffering I got sent off by him after a player went over the top of the ball and could have broke my leg,

I muttered a few words to him and Huxford caming running over with notebook in hand,

I pulled my sock down to show him the scar and he said " I am not bothered about that " and sent me off for swearing    twit

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 96
MuddyWaters
January 2, 2019, 4:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Not going to get too excited over takeover rumours but I give some credence to it being linked to an NELC funded stadium.

John Fenty has been called everything from saviour to Genghis Khan during his tenure and he seems to have had a lot of control for what isn’t a great investment over a long period of time. Personally, I would like to see some freshness in the boardroom to match the new, fresh approach on the pitch but then I’m not the purse keeper. UTM
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 96
KingstonMariner
January 2, 2019, 9:49pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Not going to get too excited over takeover rumours but I give some credence to it being linked to an NELC funded stadium.

John Fenty has been called everything from saviour to Genghis Khan during his tenure and he seems to have had a lot of control for what isn’t a great investment over a long period of time. Personally, I would like to see some freshness in the boardroom to match the new, fresh approach on the pitch but then I’m not the purse keeper. UTM

Don't think anyone would make that comparison. We'd be playing in Europe by now if the Genghis Khan comparison held true.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 96
1mickylyons
January 3, 2019, 7:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Don't think anyone would make that comparison. We'd be playing in Europe by now if the Genghis Khan comparison held true.

Be a formidable attacking line up worthy of striking fear into defenders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 96
Mariner8
January 3, 2019, 2:21pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -86
Yes, Huxford was involved in Eastern Airways... Doubt he is interested in having anything to do with the club again. He was involved in the club at the same time as Richard Lake (Eastern Airways owner) - what were people's opinions of him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 96
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 3, 2019, 4:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from Mariner8
Yes, Huxford was involved in Eastern Airways... Doubt he is interested in having anything to do with the club again. He was involved in the club at the same time as Richard Lake (Eastern Airways owner) - what were people's opinions of him?

Heard he couldn’t get his ideas “off the ground”!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 96
rancido
January 3, 2019, 7:27pm

Special Brew Drinker

I've changed one word and this fits to Fenty

I didn't see the relevance of the fact he was a fish merchant or why it was highlighted. If you care to look through the clubs history there have been a few Fish Merchants on our board. In fact one , whose name escapes me , always gave a present of a large parcel of fish to be shared amongst the visiting players and board members.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 96
Civvy at last
January 3, 2019, 7:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from rancido

I didn't see the relevance of the fact he was a fish merchant or why it was highlighted. If you care to look through the clubs history there have been a few Fish Merchants on our board. In fact one , whose name escapes me , always gave a present of a large parcel of fish to be shared amongst the visiting players and board members.

That was stopped by the FA. Not by anyone connected with Town.

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 96
rancido
January 3, 2019, 7:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

That was stopped by the FA. Not by anyone connected with Town.

I know that but the point I was making was that we have had several fish merchants on our Board since our inception.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 96
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mike Ashley rumour

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.