diehardmariner
December 31, 2018, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from forza ivano
What would be the point? Ashley is no lover of football just a businessman through n through. Surely that's the problem with him n the geordies? He wants to run it as s profitable business, won't spend any money and wants to make a profit when he sells. Cant see why hed want to waste a couple of s million on a small club that has got no connection to and there's no profit to be made at the end of it. Doesn't make any sense imho

All part of the Sports Direct masterplan.  Build us a crappy identikit stadium, redevelop Blundell Park as a Sports Direct distribution centre (complete with boat access over the railway line and out to the Estuary) as part of their plan to conquer the European market.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 96
pizzzza
December 31, 2018, 12:14pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,659
Gold Stars: 135
Yeah was told something similar the other day,  personally I doubt there is anything in it. 2+2=5 springs to mind....
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 96
monkeyboy
December 31, 2018, 12:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Grasping at straws for me, David Ross would be more likely and that is not likely.
Fenty wants his cash back, no one in there right mind would pay that in the current situation.

Cant see the Council letting the land go either and would want to charge a fortune to sell or lease the land, i reckon whatever happens will put the long term security of the club at huge risk.
Dont move we will be left behind  and move and its a risk unless someone is willing to chuck a risky 10 million investment into the pot.

We have great fans we just dont have mega rich fans, shame david ross aint a fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 96
ska face
December 31, 2018, 12:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,355
Gold Stars: 824
Aye just what we need, some cockney gobshite who would rather his staff urine themselves or give birth in the toilets at work than lose a few pence-worth of labour. People like Ashley need lining up against a wall.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 96
devs
December 31, 2018, 12:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
I think Mike's brother owns Ashley Blinds in Louth?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 96
Tommy
December 31, 2018, 12:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I think the story on that "Grimsby Independant" site has basically given people free reign to come up with rumours of who might be buying GTFC. And because of that story, people are more likely to buy into these rumours.

I don't attach any credit to a rumour being heard from different people, as there's every chance it could be just started from one person making it up and then each person told telling 3 people, then they each tell 3 people, and so on. Before you know it it's spread and you've heard 3/4 people tell the same thing they've heard but it was all from the same one person.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 96
GrimRob
December 31, 2018, 12:35pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Well John Ashley has been involved in some controversy in the past.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42107736

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/10/whos-who-at-sports-direct-mike-ashley

John Ashley, IT director, 54

If there is another brain behind the success of Sports Direct – aside from the founder’s – it belongs to the other Ashley. John Ashley is Mike’s older brother and a computer science graduate who in effect built the company’s IT system from the ground up, since starting at the retailer in 1989. The result is far from flashy – but it works.

“Sports Direct has a very bespoke IT system which is a very strong part of SD,” says one insider. “They are very basic systems but they do exactly what they want them to do.” The unpretentious nature of his work is also mirrored by Ashley’s personal style. “He wears a lumberjack shirt that’s too big and baggy trousers that are too big that he’s forever pulling up,” says one former Sports Direct worker.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 96
Bigdog
December 31, 2018, 12:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from forza ivano
What would be the point? Ashley is no lover of football just a businessman through n through. Surely that's the problem with him n the geordies? He wants to run it as s profitable business, won't spend any money and wants to make a profit when he sells. Cant see why hed want to waste a couple of s million on a small club that has got no connection to and there's no profit to be made at the end of it. Doesn't make any sense imho

Newcastle are exactly where they should be in the football pyramid in my opinion and achieved that without going into debt. Ashley certainly backed them to get back into the Premier League when they got relegated and had the acumen to get Benitez (who's no mug) to manage them. How much would they have to spend to rise three or four places in the Premier League? 200, 300, 400 mill and get into debt? If there's a slightest hint in this rumour, I'd have every faith in him (or by backing his brother) getting a new stadium built quicker than anyone else and helping Town up a league or two. He may be many things, but most of all he's an exceptionally talented businessman and has more brains than people give him credit for. Ruthless yes, reckless no, and say what you want, if he sold Newcastle tomorrow, he'd be leaving them in a stronger position than they've been since the Keegan days. To even consider or prefer staying as we are against someone of the ilk of Mike Ashley or family member to get involved with his backing is laughable. Some of you lot are scared of your own shadow sometimes. If anyone could turn himself a profit with regeneration opportunites going begging while raising our club from the ashes it would be someone like Mike Ashley. I'd rather have him backing us in some way rather than a rival in our own division. I know people who have worked fairly closely with him for a long time and would advise everyone not to take his public image driven by the press as the only facet to his persona and more importantly, he gets things done.

Having said all of this, I can't imagine it ever happening, but would be pleasantly surprised if it came to fruition..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 96
WetFlannel
December 31, 2018, 1:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Ashley backing them to come back up is like when people say ‘Fenty financed us through the Conference!’ In that neither of them would have needed to do so in the first place if they hadn’t been so tight fisted with the budget whilst in their original leagues in the first place. Newcastle have the £100 million a season every other premier league team has yet have a net profit in transfer expenditure, whilst teams much smaller like Bournemouth are outbidding them. Rafa Benítez is working wonders and they’re an EPL team despite Ashley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 96
Mrs Doyle
December 31, 2018, 1:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

He has money, just not Mike's amount of money, owns a helicopter etc.

However my understanding, is that Mike isn't allowed to buy another club once sold Newcastle? not sure of the laws/rules of that side.

So I've been told his brother would be the main owner, with Mike's 'backing'

All this is a rumour through contacts that know the family, could be a wind up, could be true, just a bit weird they told me, thought nothing off it, then I see a few post on social media of similar stuff

Is it that guy near Caburn Hill on the A46 he has a helicopter and pad nice place as well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mike Ashley rumour

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.