Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Under the radar memorable Town matches...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 237 Guests

Under the radar memorable Town matches...

This thread currently has 5,797 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Yossarian
December 30, 2018, 4:08pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,076
Gold Stars: 18
,,,maybe not the most obvious games.

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Charlton fan and we were talking about the more memorable games we had experienced over the years.

Funnily enough neither of us selected what the other expected (no big cup games, promotion games etc)... we also, of course, shared a complete love for Clive Mendonca, but I digress.

So, what are you under the radar memorable games?

Some of mine in no particular order (and also showing my age)

4-0 v Huddersfield Town at Blundell Park, 1990: Town totally slaughtered Huddersfield - they were utterly brilliant that night at Cockerill scored one of the best goals I've ever seen by Grimsby

4-2 Home to Barnsley, 1992.  Christmas game, I recall - the Ponton was pumping and Town scored in the first minute.  Great atmosphere.

Welling Away - 4-0 Win, Jan 2016  Welling is about 3 miles from my house, so took a mate along for a "misery match" in the wet, cold weather.  We had a great time in the pubs - loads of Town fans singing non-stop, a crappy little ground, great atmosphere and we laughed our asses off for the whole game.  My mate has been in love with Town since that game.

Palace 5- Grimsby 0.  5-0 down at half time, my car got stolen and I had to get back to Bristol.  An utterly miserable experience, never forgotten.  Life as a Grimsby fan in a nutshell.

Crawley 0 - Grimsby 1.  Our first game in the conference and I remember thinking "oh dear, is this the kind of stadium we are playing in now?" not realising that Crawley was probably one of the better grounds.  

Grimsby 1 - WBA 0: The Bonetti Game!!

Birmingham 0 - Grimsby 1:  must have been about 20 years ago - it was the most utterly dire game, Grimsvy didn't even have a shot on target and Brum scored an own goal.  Mediocrity personified.  Great day out.

Just some random thoughts...
Logged Offline
Private Message
friskneymariner
December 30, 2018, 4:25pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Wasn't the goal at Birmingham scored by Dave Smith direct from a corner Sept 1998 I think.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 50
Yossarian
December 30, 2018, 4:28pm
Snakebite drinker
FriskneyMariner - you could be correct - it was a long time ago.....It was a memorable game for me because I'd not actually see Town win in the flesh for 4 years since moving to London.,

Aaaah - Friskney!  I have memories of helping my dad shoot ducks down that way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 50
KingstonMariner
December 30, 2018, 4:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good suggestion Yossarian.

Off the top of my head, one stand out for me was Birmingham away in 1990 in the Third Division. 0-0 but think we deserved more from the game. Muddy pitch. Big, ramshackle stadium (before St Andrews was redeveloped). What sticks in my memory the most though was the big, raucous Town following. If someone said there was 2000 there I wouldn't be surprised.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 50
Posh Harry
December 30, 2018, 4:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
I always fondly remember 3-1 away win at PNE. First game of the season, Neil woods scored 2 on his debut, great atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 50
Yossarian
December 30, 2018, 4:32pm
Snakebite drinker
I have a penchant for the more esoteric matches in general - can't beat a dour 0-0 away draw in winter at some lower league ground.

Misery and football generally go hand in hand - I pity those that support successful teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 50
Abdul19
December 30, 2018, 6:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
1-0 at Rotherham in 2003. Oster scored in injury time.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 50
Poojah
December 30, 2018, 6:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from Abdul19
1-0 at Rotherham in 2003. Oster scored in injury time.

That’s on my list too. A fairly dire game on a Tuesday night before Livvo skinned a young Paul Hurst to pull back for Oster to tap-in from memory.

Remember a game just prior to Christmas a couple of years earlier, away to Preston at Deepdale. Town were behind after about 20 seconds before a Menno Willems free-kick and a late Groves header won us the game.

I remember a couple of good ones at West Brom in pretty quick succession too. One was on the Easter bank holiday if I remember and Luke Cornwall scored a cracking volley to give us a 1-0 which massively boosted our chances of staying up. One of Peter Handyside’s last games I think after Zhang Enhua had gone back to China.

Then at the start of the following season we played them again. Danny Coyne saved a Lee Hughes penalty before Alan Pouton converted one of our own at the other end.

Thinking of Enhua, I seem to remember him scoring in a cracking 2-2 draw against Bolton at the Reebok. It was a Tuesday night but still a full house as Bolton had put on some sort of family promotion with all tickets £5 and fair rides outside the ground and pyrotechnics as the players walked out onto what was a really shoddy pitch.

The Gateshead 6-1 game was great too for so many reasons, but probably doesn’t qualify as ‘under the radar’ since we won by a 5 goal margin including a hilarious opening goal and a Scott Neilson stunner.

Good times.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 50
Cloudy
December 30, 2018, 6:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
March 2015 away to Dover- won 1-0 a few months earlier we also won 1-0 at Eastleigh, both long trips on a Tuesday night but the sort of results that made it all worth it.

April 1972 a Clive Wiggington goal gives us a 1-1 draw to secure promotion.

A 0-0 draw at Colchester about 1989, awful game
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 50
jock dock tower
December 30, 2018, 6:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
1964-5 away at Boothferry Park, Hull to see Town get a 3-3 draw. My very first away league game with my dad.

1966-7 vs Scunthorpe 7-1 with Tees and Green both getting hat tricks

1970-1 vs Cambridge United Matt Tees homecoming, he scores in 2-0 win and he puts 3,000 on the gate.

1971-2 away at Brentford lost 2-0 and huge Town following down at Griffin Park. Game was on ITV on Sunday. Had to run through the backstreets to get back to the station in one piece. Sh1t myself.

1980-1 at QPR lost 1-0. Drunk as a skunk. Huge Town following there as we tried our damndest to get three successive promotions.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 50
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Under the radar memorable Town matches...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.