Paris Mariner
December 30, 2018, 11:20am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from Bigdog

It's a good point to make. We've had a great set of results this month without playing well in a footballing sense. We've learnt how to stay in games and have found ways to score and both have to be taken as huge improvements from where we were. I get the impression that we are short in certain areas which means we do get pushed back too often. My opinion is that our squad is still a work in progress and as a whole is still unbalanced and hopefully this will be addressed in the transfer window. There is the added problem we've had with injuries to consider too. With what he has had at his disposal, I don't think MJ could have got much more out of the squad and the players themselves couldn't have pulled together a better points haul this month than they have. Is it sustainable how we're playing? I'd say no. What is sustainable is the work ethic and team spirit but to progress we will need to improve certain areas in the matchday eleven. Looking at the transfer window coming up, this is my assessment of the squad..

Sticking with MJ's favoured 4-5-1 / 4-3-3

GKs - we're ok here

Right Back - If Hendrie stays we're fine here
Left Back - If Fox goes, we'll need a replacement unless Famewo is available

Centre Backs - If we look forward two weeks after injuries and suspensions, we're fine here if everything is ok with Famewo

Central Midfield - If Embleton stays, with Hess, Rose, Clifton, Embleton, Welsh we're ok for numbers

Forwards - We've got Thomas, Cook, A Rose and Cardwell which as we play one up front is enough numbers wise but every club should be on the look out for a signing in this department that's going to result in extra goal threat.

Then we come to what I see is the problem area. We seem settled with a midfield three of Hess, Embleton and Clifton. These three are very effective in closing down space and with Clifton and Embleton bursting forward carry a considerable amount of attacking threat. Defensively at times I think they can be physically bullied and defensively I feel that they are left exposed by our wide men as much as our full backs are. There's no doubt that our wide men are putting the effort in, but have they got the attributes to make a cohesive unit?

Wide Areas - Pringle, Woolford, Cardwell, Vernam. Does this area look as strong as other positions? Out of the four, I only see Vernam as a long term prospect for a progressive team in this position once he fully learns aspects of defending.responsibilities. Once he's rounded his game he has the perfect attributes in driving us forward and will be a goal threat and dangerous on counter attacks. Cardwell is a hard working square peg in a round hole at the minute doing the best he can for the team. I see him more as a back up to Thomas in the holding the ball up one up front role. Then we come to left hand side. Both Pringle and Woolford are ball players with a lack of pace and this area I think we need a more dynamic player to help with the pace and physicality of our team unless we stiffen our midfield three up with a more physical player and play Embleton out wide, but then again, this would reduce Embleton's effectiveness. If Fox stays, could Ring do a job here?

So on balance, and hoping Embleton and Hendrie stay until the end of the season, the most important areas I feel we need to improve to impose greater authority and control in games is out wide in midfield. As a club we always need to be on the look out to improve in every position, but wide midfield is our weak link in my opinion and it impacts in every other area of our play..

We have just brought in Ring who is a left back.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 36
Bigdog
December 30, 2018, 11:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Paris Mariner

We have just brought in Ring who is a left back.

Understand that, but if Famewo (who is a centre half and only a makeshift left back) continues to be unavailable, and Fox goes, it will leave us with Ring as our only left back, which still leaves us short of cover in that position..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
Poojah
December 30, 2018, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,453
Gold Stars: 1,499
I think we need to be measured in this transfer window. It’s easier to disrupt what’s already working well in January than it is to improve the squad in my opinion. With what I imagine is a fairly tight budget, we need to spend wisely.

I think back to Bignot’s (only, thankfully!) transfer window two years ago when we signed no less than 8 players - Yussuf, Gunning, Asante, Osborne, Clements, Jones, Dyson and Maxwell. I’m not suggesting they were all bad players, but in totality that window ultimately took us backwards, not forwards.

Short-term injury problems and suspensions aside, I don’t think the squad actually NEEDS that much. For me, we should only be looking to sign players if the opportunity arises to bring in someone clearly and demonstrably better than what we’ve already got, or someone that gives us an option we’re currently missing (i.e a direct, pacy / tricky wide man).

Ring makes obvious sense if Fox is indeed about to leave, and a short-term loan deal for a centre back may also be prudent, but over and above that I’d be far happier with one or two really smart signings than several ok ones.

Anyway, I’m not too worried - if Bignot was as mad as a bag of chips Jolley is a sea of calmness and serenity by comparison. I’m confident we’ll get it right.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
Bigdog
December 30, 2018, 11:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Poojah
I think we need to be measured in this transfer window. It’s easier to disrupt what’s already working well in January than it is to improve the squad in my opinion. With what I imagine is a fairly tight budget, we need to spend wisely.

I think back to Bignot’s (only, thankfully!) transfer window two years ago when we signed no less than 8 players - Yussuf, Gunning, Asante, Osborne, Clements, Jones, Dyson and Maxwell. I’m not suggesting they were all bad players, but in totality that window ultimately took us backwards, not forwards.

Short-term injury problems and suspensions aside, I don’t think the squad actually NEEDS that much. For me, we should only be looking to sign players if the opportunity arises to bring in someone clearly and demonstrably better than what we’ve already got, or someone that gives us an option we’re currently missing (i.e a direct, pacy / tricky wide man).

Ring makes obvious sense if Fox is indeed about to leave, and a short-term loan deal for a centre back may also be prudent, but over and above that I’d be far happier with one or two really smart signings than several ok ones.

Anyway, I’m not too worried - if Bignot was as mad as a bag of chips Jolley is a sea of calmness and serenity by comparison. I’m confident we’ll get it right.

Agree with this.

Maybe a couple coming in this January would suffice. It would then leave us looking at needing to make only four or five signings in the summer. A much sounder base to work from than the past few seasons and more like the profile of a promotion chasing squad than one that has to virtually start squad building from scratch every summer..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
Stew0_0
December 30, 2018, 12:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
A short term loan for a Centre half a wide player (or 2 if Vernam out long term) would do for me in the window assuming we can keep Embleton and Hendrie.  Happy with the rest of the squad unless a superb striker for this level becomes available to us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
Davec
December 30, 2018, 12:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Yeah I prefer half full it always feels great when you battle and win against the odds.

Not getting carried away and we have ridden our luck on occasions but who could have foreseen this dramatic turn of form from a couple of months ago?

The most satisfying aspect is the hard work and determination put in by EVERY player and seeing the young players growing better and better.

Pollock took his chance really well and did himself the world of good with that display can be very proud of his first outing.

The balance of youth and experience looks right. Macca, Collins, Thomas, Vernam and Woolford all have bags of that and with the energy of younger players like Cardwell, Rose, Embelton and Clifton to keep up the tempo.

Just glad we have eased our way out of a tricky situation anything else will be a massive bonus.

M.J. and his coaching staff are doing an excellent job in moulding this squad into a fighting unit.

Vernam has bags of experience? I don't even think he has played 50 pro games yet as he???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
chaos33
December 30, 2018, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Poojah

I agree too, in general.

If we can secure Embleton and Hendrie, that would be fantastic. Beyond that I'd like another defender, a winger and a striker, partly to respond to the loss of Vernam, about whom, nobody seems to know much in terms of his injury. Given we've also shifted Hooper and Robles, all in all, 3 or 4 more players in would be good.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.