jamesgtfc
December 26, 2018, 10:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mikey_345

See your point but it’s somewhat different to previous examples. Strikers and midfield is a lot different to playing CB in this league. Throwing a young lad in against Stockley and Exeter May not be the best way to introduce him.

Let’s be honest, this is at times a brutal league physically, just look at today’s game, and as far as I’m aware Pollock hasn’t played competitive men’s football yet.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope he and others come through.... it just for me wouldn’t be the right circumstances to throw him in. For him aswell as the club.

Agree with you here. By all means Pollock is seen as a great prospect but throwing him straight in against Jayden Stockley could destroy him. Then again, it could be the making of him.

If MJ feels he is ready, he has already shown he isn't afraid of playing the youngsters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
promotion plaice
December 26, 2018, 10:38pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I would have taken 3 points from these 2 away games so whatever team plays at Exeter they are under no pressure for me and any more points for us are a bonus.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
FishOutOfWater
December 26, 2018, 10:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from promotion plaice

I would have taken 3 points from these 2 away games so whatever team plays at Exeter they are under no pressure for me and any more points for us are a bonus.

Tend to agree with you but another point, even if a boring 0-0, would do us nicely
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 55
Mariner93er
December 26, 2018, 10:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I'm just not sure putting rose or woolford in defence is anymore preferable to playing a youth in his natural position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
Tommy
December 26, 2018, 11:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I understand people's reservations about putting a young player in at centre back, but it's a great opportunity for Pollock if you ask me.

It's Exeter FFS, not Real Madrid. They're only 9 points ahead of us and we are actually THE form side in the division.

If we can't give a debut to a young lad who is very highly thought of, against a team 9 points above us when we're not under any pressure of a relegation fight, and have one fit centre back, I'll be a little disappointed. When would we be willing to debut a centre-back otherwise? When we're 4-0 against a team 2 league's below in a cup?

Ryan Bennett was given a chance at a similar age (I know he sometimes played at full back initially) and he was not only ready, but has gone into better things. Appreciate that not every debutant goes that way but we seem to be giving young players opportunities at the moment and this would be a great chance to really put these values into action.

What's the alternative, Woolford at left back? Mitch Rose at right back? No thanks to either for me, and that's without considering that we'd have Fox or RHJ at centre half (again, neither of those for me).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Tommy
December 26, 2018, 11:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
By the way, this centre back crises smacks of xmas 2005/6 to me.

Where's Glen Downey?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
cjbill
December 27, 2018, 6:19am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +215
The only thing I wonder is why didn't Pollock come on for Harry Davis as a sub? There was a centre back there on the bench but he wasn't picked. That is what makes me feel like it's unlikely he will be picked to start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
GrimRob
December 27, 2018, 6:53am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Mitch Rose used to play at right back for Ilkeston so that's an option Jolley will maybe favour over Pollock. His brother is not a bad fullback either 😉

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 55
LongEatonMariner
December 27, 2018, 8:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
I’d keep changed to a minimum so either put Pollock in or one of the central midfielders as a centre back. Making two players play unfamiliar positions seems more problematic (shuffling one fullback into middle and putting a midfielder as full back).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
pizzzza
December 27, 2018, 8:24am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Yeah a few people have asked me how I would approach this one if I was in MJ's shoes. For me, I'd be sticking Pollock in there, much rather have a natural CB playing. If he is not good enough to play then he should not be on the bench at all.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Exeter

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.