7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
wigworld
December 22, 2018, 5:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
First game I've been able to get to since September.
Score more a reflection of how bad they were than how good we are. I didn't think we looked that great until last 10 minutes when suddenly we started playing some nice football. Bizarrely, the change seemed to happen when Woolford came on!
Happy with the result, though.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
denni266
December 22, 2018, 5:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
First game for a few weeks. county was a poor team . we didnt seem to get out of second gear but put away  our chances ,Thats a big change  from earlier in the season.. you can see the fight in towns faces and play , could it be the stick  they got earlier in the season has had the right affect. was not keen on the subs. but with games coming fast a rest is in order especialy when well in front
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 61
promotion plaice
December 22, 2018, 5:39pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189

Jolley likes us to sit deep until we nick a goal, then he still likes us to sit deep and go on the counter attack when possible to add to the tally.......some might think it's not pretty but don't knock it because it's working ....... happy days

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 61
MuddyWaters
December 22, 2018, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Let's get the bad news out of the way, Charlie's injury, heard him chatting to someone before the game and he seemed worried. Good news, we played pretty moderately and won 4-0 - MoM Harry Davis closely followed by Hess, Harry & Foxy.

Merry Christmas!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 61
Bigdog
December 22, 2018, 5:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I don't think we played that badly. We were definitely the best team in both boxes. We created five or six clear cut chances, they created nothing other than a couple of long range pot shots. Bit of a weird one as I thought Clifton and Hessenthaler both had good games individually yet Notts dominated the midfield area until they gave up in the last ten minutes. We do seem to be trying to sucker teams into letting us attack them on the break. Seen somewhere that we are top of the league table for number of shots on goal resulting from a counter attack. Yet.. our first three goals all resulted from set-pieces delivered brilliantly by Pringle. The presence of Cardwell seemed to unsettle their defence in the box and he did really well to create mayhem with a terrific turn and cross/shot for our first goal. Never seen a defence so inept at BP for a long time. County have some good players but all seem to play with a bad attitude which results in them being a poor team. Aided and abetted by a poor and weak referee, this was underlined by how many times they wanted to play the man rather than the ball. I think we gave up too much possession because by playing Cardwell, Embleton and Pringle, there was just one luxury player too many on the pitch when we didn't have the ball. Another runner may have given us a bit more of a foothold in the game, but then again when we've won 4-0, does it really matter today? Although against different and better opposition we may be found wanting in that regard.

Our defensive unit seemed to be playing under instruction to play a deeper line. Not a backing off deeper line, more like a set distance between defence and midfield to provide two solid banks of four and five. If County knocked the ball back ten yards, they pushed up ten yards, a subtle difference and it ensured our defenders defended on the front foot, smothered their attacks and didn't give them time on the ball. Other than that miskick by Whitmore at the start of the second half which nearly gifted them a goal, I thought our back four hardly put a foot wrong and seemed to win every challenge and header. Even RHJ put a decent shift in when he came on which was good to see as it looks like Hendrie could be missing games after going off injured.

In front of the defence, a special mention must go to Harry Clifton and Wes Thomas's battling qualities and workrate. Outstanding by both and capped of by each netting a well taken goal, especially Thomas who made a difficult skill look simple albeit helped by a mistake by their keeper.. Embleton added a touch of class when needed too.

Even if it wasn't much of a decent game of football to watch, plenty of our players had decent games individually. There seems to be a growing confidence in this team and if we can retain Embleton and Hendrie and add three or four more in January to improve us in one or two areas, it looks like at last that we might be getting somewhere..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 61
essexexile
December 22, 2018, 6:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +185
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from promotion plaice

Jolley likes us to sit deep until we nick a goal, then he still likes us to sit deep and go on the counter attack when possible to add to the tally.......some might think it's not pretty but don't knock it because it's working ....... happy days

Lord AB said just that in commentary - let them have the ball & when defence is in position press em, nick it, breakaway and score
Can't be bad when you're not playing that well & win 4-0 but AB said County defence very poor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 61
pen penfras
December 22, 2018, 6:10pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog
I think we gave up too much possession because by playing Cardwell, Embleton and Pringle, there was just one luxury player too many on the pitch when we didn't have the ball. Another runner may have given us a bit more of a foothold in the game

If Embleton and Cardwell are luxury players, then I'm a Frenchman. They both run their arses off for the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 61
Bigdog
December 22, 2018, 6:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

If Embleton and Cardwell are luxury players, then I'm a Frenchman. They both run their arses off for the team.

Agreed, they both ran their arses off but we weren't that effective in midfield for large parts of the game even though we did let them have the ball while keeping our shape. What I was outlining was that we were playing a unit of a forward out wide and Embleton is more of a ball player than a ball winner which is fine but can we afford Pringle to be Pringle and play a forward out wide too? My point was directed specifically at Pringle who I thought had a poor game when not taking set pieces. He was the real luxury today rather than the other two. You have to admit we were very unbalanced mainly with and sometimes without the ball at times in the midfield area, and that could be a concern against a better team than County with the same starting line up..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 61
speedy
December 22, 2018, 6:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: +445
Quoted from Bigdog

Agreed, they both ran their arses off but we weren't that effective in midfield. What I was outlining was that we were playing a unit of a forward out wide and Embleton is more of a ball player than a ball winner. My point was directed specifically at Pringle who I thought had a poor game when not taking set pieces. He was the luxury today rather than the other two. You have to admit we were very unbalanced with and without the ball at times in the midfield area, and that could be a concern against a better team than County with the same starting line up..

I would agree with pringle but not embleton. Very impressive workrate to close down who is in possesion and not just sit off but put a tackle or block in aswell. Thought cardwell looked a little confused at times as to where to be (as expected as hes a striker) but still did the job.  Thought rose made us that little bit more solid when coming on and helped us battle in the midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 61
GrimRob
December 22, 2018, 6:35pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Won 4-0 in second gear. I'd take that.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 61
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.