This thread currently has 6,964 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
December 20, 2018, 8:19pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,993
Gold Stars: 193

I saw recently clubs were requested by the EFL to indicate whether they were happy to support the proposal to retain the current format of the EFL Trophy for a further three seasons.
I suspect GTFC will support it in it's current format for a further three seasons although I haven't seen anything and might have missed it  !!!

Lincoln have today made their position clear.......https://www.redimps.co.uk/news/2018/december/181220-statement/

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
HertsGTFC
December 20, 2018, 8:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,873
Gold Stars: 227
Here we go again.....

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
Bigdog
December 20, 2018, 9:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Another three years railroaded through without proper time allowed for consultation. I thought football was for the fans but unfortunately our attendance at games is becoming more and more irrelevant as the suits look at the P&Ls and balance sheets which underline the increasing influence of Premier League TV money and the whims of those clubs that play in that league. It's alright for boards like ours and Lincoln's bringing out statements that they reluctantly voted for it and had reservations but the truth is that they haven't got the balls to say no and say enough is enough for the price of a few pieces of silver dribbling down from the huge gold reserves of the teams gorging themselves at the top table. First team squads of 60 plus players, golden handshakes bigger than any club at our level could dream of spending on one player handed out to an individual who is already rich while women and children use squalid toileting facilities at Blundell Park. It's a national disgrace how the game of football is developing in this country. As long as the top 6 are ok and feel that they can compete with Barca and Real Madrid and Gareth's boys reach the odd semi final or two, the FA and EFL will give themselves a pat on the back. Man U have spunked 600m quid on players in the past two seasons and achieved nothing. That amount would pay for twenty lower league new stadiums which would transform those towns for at least fifty years. The inequity of it all makes my blood boil like hundreds of thousands of others but no fooker in a suit ever listens..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
ginnywings
December 20, 2018, 9:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
The wedge gets hammered home a little more each time. It's insidious and their hope is that it will become the norm over time. In three years, people will start to accept it, then they will turn the screw a little more, until they get their way. Take the money now, and pay the consequences later...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 49
KingstonMariner
December 20, 2018, 9:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Yeah, intercourse em.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
jamesgtfc
December 20, 2018, 10:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Personally I think the format of the competition is great but the invited teams should be replaced by the top teams in the Conference.  Groups should then be localised to create as many derby games as possible.

Group games could perhaps be scheduled for weekends before the competition reverts to midweek in the knockout stages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
moosey_club
December 20, 2018, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,197
Gold Stars: 224
The opposition to it will become apathetic...lets face it...we know that the boycott isnt going to work because by and large the clubs dont give a fck as the money injection from the Premier League means the clubs dont lose.
Strange that Lincoln seem to think their fans are against it when they have been one of the higher attended clubs in the comp...plus they went to Wembley ...so personally i think that statement is just smoke....they love it but are scared to publicy say so.

I presume our position has already been declared to the League following a hurriedly put together emergency vote with the following attendees in place... Majority Shareholder, John Fenty & the former chairman all present ...the vote being unequivocal with all 3 in favour of remaining in the comp.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 49
LH
December 20, 2018, 10:17pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Personally I think the format of the competition is great but the invited teams should be replaced by the top teams in the Conference.  Groups should then be localised to create as many derby games as possible.

Group games could perhaps be scheduled for weekends before the competition reverts to midweek in the knockout stages.

Agree with most of that. If we were in a group with Scunny, Lincoln and Donny all of the games would be close to sell outs. I don’t think it should be played at weekends though. Midweek cup games were something I missed during our non league exile.

I watched the ITV England documentary tonight and was reminded that many of those semi finalists had played  in the third and fourth tier and in non-league either on loan or on permanent contracts. The FA should be sticking their oar in on this issue and protecting clubs like ours and those lower down.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
arryarryarry
December 21, 2018, 4:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from jamesgtfc

If I remember correctly they did that some years ago and we were knocked out by a non league club, Morecambe.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 49
GrimRob
December 21, 2018, 6:53am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
The format is not brilliant even ignoring the invited teams as there are too many irrelevant games. It's a shame there wasn't time to consider alternatives as there must be some. The old format didn't work either the obvious thing is more local games.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 49
Grim74
December 21, 2018, 7:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
It’s like the EU stay in it and they will eventually intercourse you over, I would love the clubs to show some real integrity and tell the EFL to ram it in its current form, because it’s clear the vast majority of the fans (excluding the gimps) don’t want it and how refreshing would it be for the clubs to listen and take action.

No doubt the clubs will bemoan the financial implications but I don’t buy that crap, there will still be a competition to be had regardless of premiership reserve teams. We all know what the real reason is it’s merely a stepping stone to league football B teams despite what they say. Sounds a bit like “there will be no EU army” 🧐

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 49
Abdul19
December 21, 2018, 7:49am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from arryarryarry

If I remember correctly they did that some years ago and we were knocked out by a non league club, Morecambe.

And Carlisle the year before.

I also like the idea of a localised group format, but there's no way it could be played at weekends (there's 46 league games to play!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
Grim74
December 21, 2018, 8:28am
Cocktail Drinker
All they would have to do to make a massive success of the competition would be to give the winner a ueafa cup play off place, imagine that! it would capture the imagination and dreams of the lower league teams and the fans who would never get the chance to watch their team play in Europe, sponsors would be falling over themselves to be involved.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
Abdul19
December 21, 2018, 12:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
I think UEFA might have something to say about that

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
rancido
December 21, 2018, 7:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,525
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Grim74
It’s like the EU stay in it and they will eventually intercourse you over, I would love the clubs to show some real integrity and tell the EFL to ram it in its current form, because it’s clear the vast majority of the fans (excluding the gimps) don’t want it and how refreshing would it be for the clubs to listen and take action.

No doubt the clubs will bemoan the financial implications but I don’t buy that crap, there will still be a competition to be had regardless of premiership reserve teams. We all know what the real reason is it’s merely a stepping stone to league football B teams despite what they say. Sounds a bit like “there will be no EU army” 🧐

Without sponsorship the competition will die. It was only the inclusion of Premiersh*t reserve teams that saved the competition. I'm not saying I agree with the format but it does give a lower league team a realistic chance of playing at Wembley and the financial benefits do help lower league teams.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
GrimRob
December 21, 2018, 8:56pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Quoted from rancido

Without sponsorship the competition will die. It was only the inclusion of Premiersh*t reserve teams that saved the competition. I'm not saying I agree with the format but it does give a lower league team a realistic chance of playing at Wembley and the financial benefits do help lower league teams.

Isn't that the point of a consultation though? I cannot accept that every possible idea has been considered and this is the only viable one. I bet there would be loads of good ideas with a proper consultation across all the members.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 49
Grim74
December 21, 2018, 9:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
I think UEFA might have something to say about that

Why would they? I’d be Interested to know the answer as I would of thought UEFA would issue our places and then it’s up to the FL and premiership to decides how a team wins the spots? Or is it not the simple?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
Grim74
December 21, 2018, 9:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Isn't that the point of a consultation though? I cannot accept that every possible idea has been considered and this is the only viable one. I bet there would be loads of good ideas with a proper consultation across all the members.

Who did the negotiating for the lower league clubs Theresa May? How about we will let your B teams play in our cup completion, and as a compromise the winner of the competition gets a UEFA place that’s it deal or no deal take it or leave it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
Abdul19
December 22, 2018, 7:33am

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Grim74

Why would they? I’d be Interested to know the answer as I would of thought UEFA would issue our places and then it’s up to the FL and premiership to decides how a team wins the spots? Or is it not the simple?

As far as I understand it, UEFA issues the 3 EL places to clubs who fulfill specific criteria (2 x cup winners, league position).

I'd guess that the chance of UEFA taking a place in their competition away from the 5th best team in the PL (Chelsea?) to give to Stevenage or Reading under 23s is minimal.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 49
KingstonMariner
December 22, 2018, 12:46pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

As far as I understand it, UEFA issues the 3 EL places to clubs who fulfill specific criteria (2 x cup winners, league position).

I'd guess that the chance of UEFA taking a place in their competition away from the 5th best team in the PL (Chelsea?) to give to Stevenage or Reading under 23s is minimal.

Now don't go bringing logic into the subject of negotiating with Europe  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
LH
December 23, 2018, 12:17pm

GTFC confirm that they voted AGAINST the EFL trophy format in it’s current form in this months vote. Well done for considering the fans views, Town.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
KingstonMariner
December 23, 2018, 12:20pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from LH
GTFC confirm that they voted AGAINST the EFL trophy format in it’s current form in this months vote. Well done for considering the fans views, Town.

Where did you hear this LH?

If true, it's a good change.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
LH
December 23, 2018, 12:21pm

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
Henryscat
December 23, 2018, 12:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Statement from club - Town voted against

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
TheRealJohnLewis
December 23, 2018, 12:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Bravo GFTC, finally listening to the fans.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
pizzzza
December 23, 2018, 12:31pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,700
Gold Stars: 137
Have to say I am pleasantly surprised by this. The club get heat when they get it wrong so have to them credit when it is due. Well done Town.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
KingstonMariner
December 23, 2018, 12:42pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from LH

Thanks LH.

Well done to the club* for listening. (* and for the avoidance of doubt that includes Fenty and the other board members)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
immariner
December 23, 2018, 1:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,405
Gold Stars: 59
So what happens now? Continued boycott of all games, or reflecting the club's change of stance, just those against B teams?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
promotion plaice
December 23, 2018, 1:11pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,993
Gold Stars: 193

Pleasantly surprised.......well done GTFC

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
Cloudy
December 23, 2018, 1:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from immariner
So what happens now? Continued boycott of all games, or reflecting the club's change of stance, just those against B teams?

What happens is always down to individual choice ( or at least it should be)
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
Mrs Doyle
December 23, 2018, 1:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Well this time they have listened to the fans but unfortunately, it seems the format is here to stay as other clubs have voted for it??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
MuddyWaters
December 23, 2018, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
As Cod Almighty have suggested, spend money in the Club Shop if you don't want to attend the games - I think that's a fair shout!

https://twitter.com/codalmighty/status/1076821447211917312
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
MuddyWaters
December 23, 2018, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
As Cod Almighty have suggested, spend money in the Club Shop if you don't want to attend the games - I think that's a fair shout!

https://twitter.com/codalmighty/status/1076821447211917312
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
headingly_mariner
December 23, 2018, 1:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Better news that Town have started to listen and vote with the fans wishes. I certainly won’t be attending any of the games under the current format but I will now make sure I spend my ticket money in the club shop every time their is a game. Would be a shame if people started attending now because that just legitimises the competition. But we can be proud of the club’s stance.
It is hard to forget that the fans have been called bullies by the club over this issue though, but credit to those who’ve made this decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
MuddyWaters
December 23, 2018, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
And, by the way, thank you to the GTFC board for listening to the fans!

Let's hope that this is a sign of things to come!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
HertsGTFC
December 23, 2018, 2:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,873
Gold Stars: 227
Well done Town....... the whole think is a complete stack if sh1t.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
Bigdog
December 23, 2018, 2:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Praise to the GTFC board for listening and voting no..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
LH
December 23, 2018, 3:06pm

Maybe donating the money to the YDA would be more beneficial and appropriate? Let’s just say theres 2000 people missing the game but donating their tenner ticket money that’s £40k for them if we matched this season’s performance and fixtures. That would be a big boost for the Youth and would benefit the English game as the PL want to do by invading this competition.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
headingly_mariner
December 23, 2018, 4:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Quoted from LH
Maybe donating the money to the YDA would be more beneficial and appropriate? Let’s just say theres 2000 people missing the game but donating their tenner ticket money that’s £40k for them if we matched this season’s performance and fixtures. That would be a big boost for the Youth and would benefit the English game as the PL want to do by invading this competition.

Brilliant idea. Could be something the Trust could faciltate and add an online donation page. Think more people would donate than would’ve attended the games.
Our youth setup is providing us with first team players and long may that continue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
December 24, 2018, 7:27am
Guest User
If the club and supporters feel so strongly about it, then the easiest solution would be simply don’t enter the competition
Reply: 39 - 49
Davec
December 24, 2018, 7:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Brilliant idea. Could be something the Trust could faciltate and add an online donation page. Think more people would donate than would’ve attended the games.
Our youth setup is providing us with first team players and long may that continue.

I agree with this idea. Anybody who isn't going to a checkatrade game and would have normally gone can spend extra in the club shop or donate that match ticket fee to the youth set up and if the trust could set this up then it can be an ongoing effort to support the youths.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
diehardmariner
December 24, 2018, 9:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,396
Gold Stars: 532
Before I give the club praise, I would like to know exactly what the voting options were.

If it was a simple case of Yes or No to the current format including the Under-23 sides, then yes full credit to them for at long last taking the views of the fans on board.

If the voting was more complex than a Yes/No, i.e. here are some options for further adjusting of the format please select your preferred format, then I would like to know exactly what it was that the club voted for.

Not trying to negative on this, but the club don't exactly have a great record with these issues do they?
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
Meza
December 24, 2018, 2:23pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from diehardmariner
Before I give the club praise, I would like to know exactly what the voting options were.

If it was a simple case of Yes or No to the current format including the Under-23 sides, then yes full credit to them for at long last taking the views of the fans on board.

If the voting was more complex than a Yes/No, i.e. here are some options for further adjusting of the format please select your preferred format, then I would like to know exactly what it was that the club voted for.

Not trying to negative on this, but the club don't exactly have a great record with these issues do they?

Your a hard person to please.  They've now done exactly what fans wanted.  So for me if I go to these matches atleast I'm going knowing they don't support it but also to give the club that extra income.  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
moosey_club
December 24, 2018, 2:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,197
Gold Stars: 224
too little too late for me ... the stab in the back from the club regards the whole affair goes a lot deeper for me. The board nailed their colours to the mast on the original vote when it comes to fan consideration and showed a total lack of respect to the Trust by excluding them at that time too.
Underhand and disrespectful to the people who finance the club, the supporters !

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
diehardmariner
December 24, 2018, 3:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,396
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Meza

Your a hard person to please.  They've now done exactly what fans wanted.  So for me if I go to these matches atleast I'm going knowing they don't support it but also to give the club that extra income.  

If the definition of a hard person to please is wanting all the facts before I give them praise, then yeah that's me.

You'll have to forgive me for not rolling over and having my belly tickled on the back of a brief and quite loose statement when the club have let us down so many times in the past.  The club ignored the views of the fans for the past two years on this and just over a year ago the very same regime told the fans to 'shut up', they don't get off the hook just because of one statement.

I still won't be going because I believe the competition is simply wrong, regardless of the clubs stance on it.  That's my opinion and stance.  If people have differing views then they're completely entitled to them and I certainly wouldn't judge them or condemn for it.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
SteffiMariner
December 24, 2018, 6:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from diehardmariner

If the definition of a hard person to please is wanting all the facts before I give them praise, then yeah that's me.

You'll have to forgive me for not rolling over and having my belly tickled on the back of a brief and quite loose statement when the club have let us down so many times in the past.  1) The club ignored the views of the fans for the past two years on this and 2) just over a year ago the very same regime told the fans to 'shut up', they don't get off the hook just because of one statement.

I still won't be going because I believe the competition is simply wrong, regardless of the clubs stance on it.  That's my opinion and stance.  If people have differing views then they're completely entitled to them and I certainly wouldn't judge them or condemn for it.

1) So, the club listens and is still vilified. It did what the supporters asked yet you are still wanting to have a pop.

2) Makes one statement that tells the fans to shut up yet won't take one statement that goes to rectify this.

What more could the club have done here? The have issued a brief statement letting people know what is going on and how they voted. In the past the club have been vilified for long posts without actually saying anything. The club just can't do anything right in the eyes of some 'supporters'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
ska face
December 24, 2018, 7:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,536
Gold Stars: 833
Agree with DHM, wouldn’t trust this lot as far as I could throw them and had their vote been a deciding one, or one of more than 3 voting against, then we really would have seen how important the fans are to them.

Still, all immaterial now as it’s gone through and the normalisation of B-Teams continues. We’ll have been playing against youth teams for 6 years before we get a chance to even vote on it again.

Wonder who the other two clubs are?
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
Bigdog
December 24, 2018, 8:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
If the club does twenty things wrong I'll criticise them twenty times. If the club gets twenty things right I'll praise them twenty times like I have done on this thread re finally voting the right way. Just so happens that there's been helluva lot more to criticise than praise the past decade or so. It's a step in the right direction, but only one step in a long journey to right a litany of wrongs.

This board has still got plenty to prove and many on here are not stupid enough to think that one vote rectifies everything and airbrushes everything that's gone on in the past and is still going on in the present..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
Quagmire
December 24, 2018, 8:38pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
I’m sorry but I’m far too cynical of the Fenty regime.

It’s an easy win.

Vote against it and you can’t possibly lose.

You get the fans onside and either get the money anyway or you’re one of the clubs who decided that it shouldn’t progress as it is because we’re getting the thin end of the wedge.

The man is a politician.  Don’t be fooled that he has taken the fans views on board over this. He knows full well he can’t lose by voting against it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
KingstonMariner
December 24, 2018, 8:47pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Quagmire
I’m sorry but I’m far too cynical of the Fenty regime.

It’s an easy win.

Vote against it and you can’t possibly lose.

You get the fans onside and either get the money anyway or you’re one of the clubs who decided that it shouldn’t progress as it is because we’re getting the thin end of the wedge.

The man is a politician.  Don’t be fooled that he has taken the fans views on board over this. He knows full well he can’t lose by voting against it.

If he'd been a good politician he'd have realised he couldn't lose in 2016 when the first vote was held. His basic instinct is wrong on nearly every occasion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › EFL Trophy decision

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.