5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Grim74
December 21, 2018, 7:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
It’s like the EU stay in it and they will eventually intercourse you over, I would love the clubs to show some real integrity and tell the EFL to ram it in its current form, because it’s clear the vast majority of the fans (excluding the gimps) don’t want it and how refreshing would it be for the clubs to listen and take action.

No doubt the clubs will bemoan the financial implications but I don’t buy that crap, there will still be a competition to be had regardless of premiership reserve teams. We all know what the real reason is it’s merely a stepping stone to league football B teams despite what they say. Sounds a bit like “there will be no EU army” 🧐

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 49
Abdul19
December 21, 2018, 7:49am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,551
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from arryarryarry

If I remember correctly they did that some years ago and we were knocked out by a non league club, Morecambe.

And Carlisle the year before.

I also like the idea of a localised group format, but there's no way it could be played at weekends (there's 46 league games to play!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
Grim74
December 21, 2018, 8:28am
Cocktail Drinker
All they would have to do to make a massive success of the competition would be to give the winner a ueafa cup play off place, imagine that! it would capture the imagination and dreams of the lower league teams and the fans who would never get the chance to watch their team play in Europe, sponsors would be falling over themselves to be involved.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
Abdul19
December 21, 2018, 12:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
I think UEFA might have something to say about that

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
rancido
December 21, 2018, 7:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Grim74
It’s like the EU stay in it and they will eventually intercourse you over, I would love the clubs to show some real integrity and tell the EFL to ram it in its current form, because it’s clear the vast majority of the fans (excluding the gimps) don’t want it and how refreshing would it be for the clubs to listen and take action.

No doubt the clubs will bemoan the financial implications but I don’t buy that crap, there will still be a competition to be had regardless of premiership reserve teams. We all know what the real reason is it’s merely a stepping stone to league football B teams despite what they say. Sounds a bit like “there will be no EU army” 🧐

Without sponsorship the competition will die. It was only the inclusion of Premiersh*t reserve teams that saved the competition. I'm not saying I agree with the format but it does give a lower league team a realistic chance of playing at Wembley and the financial benefits do help lower league teams.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
GrimRob
December 21, 2018, 8:56pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from rancido

Without sponsorship the competition will die. It was only the inclusion of Premiersh*t reserve teams that saved the competition. I'm not saying I agree with the format but it does give a lower league team a realistic chance of playing at Wembley and the financial benefits do help lower league teams.

Isn't that the point of a consultation though? I cannot accept that every possible idea has been considered and this is the only viable one. I bet there would be loads of good ideas with a proper consultation across all the members.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 49
Grim74
December 21, 2018, 9:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
I think UEFA might have something to say about that

Why would they? I’d be Interested to know the answer as I would of thought UEFA would issue our places and then it’s up to the FL and premiership to decides how a team wins the spots? Or is it not the simple?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
Grim74
December 21, 2018, 9:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Isn't that the point of a consultation though? I cannot accept that every possible idea has been considered and this is the only viable one. I bet there would be loads of good ideas with a proper consultation across all the members.

Who did the negotiating for the lower league clubs Theresa May? How about we will let your B teams play in our cup completion, and as a compromise the winner of the competition gets a UEFA place that’s it deal or no deal take it or leave it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
Abdul19
December 22, 2018, 7:33am

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Grim74

Why would they? I’d be Interested to know the answer as I would of thought UEFA would issue our places and then it’s up to the FL and premiership to decides how a team wins the spots? Or is it not the simple?

As far as I understand it, UEFA issues the 3 EL places to clubs who fulfill specific criteria (2 x cup winners, league position).

I'd guess that the chance of UEFA taking a place in their competition away from the 5th best team in the PL (Chelsea?) to give to Stevenage or Reading under 23s is minimal.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 49
KingstonMariner
December 22, 2018, 12:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Abdul19

As far as I understand it, UEFA issues the 3 EL places to clubs who fulfill specific criteria (2 x cup winners, league position).

I'd guess that the chance of UEFA taking a place in their competition away from the 5th best team in the PL (Chelsea?) to give to Stevenage or Reading under 23s is minimal.

Now don't go bringing logic into the subject of negotiating with Europe  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › EFL Trophy decision

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.