This thread currently has 6,933 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
December 20, 2018, 8:19pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

I saw recently clubs were requested by the EFL to indicate whether they were happy to support the proposal to retain the current format of the EFL Trophy for a further three seasons.
I suspect GTFC will support it in it's current format for a further three seasons although I haven't seen anything and might have missed it  !!!

Lincoln have today made their position clear.......https://www.redimps.co.uk/news/2018/december/181220-statement/

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
HertsGTFC
December 20, 2018, 8:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Here we go again.....

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
Bigdog
December 20, 2018, 9:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Another three years railroaded through without proper time allowed for consultation. I thought football was for the fans but unfortunately our attendance at games is becoming more and more irrelevant as the suits look at the P&Ls and balance sheets which underline the increasing influence of Premier League TV money and the whims of those clubs that play in that league. It's alright for boards like ours and Lincoln's bringing out statements that they reluctantly voted for it and had reservations but the truth is that they haven't got the balls to say no and say enough is enough for the price of a few pieces of silver dribbling down from the huge gold reserves of the teams gorging themselves at the top table. First team squads of 60 plus players, golden handshakes bigger than any club at our level could dream of spending on one player handed out to an individual who is already rich while women and children use squalid toileting facilities at Blundell Park. It's a national disgrace how the game of football is developing in this country. As long as the top 6 are ok and feel that they can compete with Barca and Real Madrid and Gareth's boys reach the odd semi final or two, the FA and EFL will give themselves a pat on the back. Man U have spunked 600m quid on players in the past two seasons and achieved nothing. That amount would pay for twenty lower league new stadiums which would transform those towns for at least fifty years. The inequity of it all makes my blood boil like hundreds of thousands of others but no fooker in a suit ever listens..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
ginnywings
December 20, 2018, 9:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
The wedge gets hammered home a little more each time. It's insidious and their hope is that it will become the norm over time. In three years, people will start to accept it, then they will turn the screw a little more, until they get their way. Take the money now, and pay the consequences later...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 49
KingstonMariner
December 20, 2018, 9:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Yeah, intercourse em.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
jamesgtfc
December 20, 2018, 10:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Personally I think the format of the competition is great but the invited teams should be replaced by the top teams in the Conference.  Groups should then be localised to create as many derby games as possible.

Group games could perhaps be scheduled for weekends before the competition reverts to midweek in the knockout stages.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
moosey_club
December 20, 2018, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
The opposition to it will become apathetic...lets face it...we know that the boycott isnt going to work because by and large the clubs dont give a fck as the money injection from the Premier League means the clubs dont lose.
Strange that Lincoln seem to think their fans are against it when they have been one of the higher attended clubs in the comp...plus they went to Wembley ...so personally i think that statement is just smoke....they love it but are scared to publicy say so.

I presume our position has already been declared to the League following a hurriedly put together emergency vote with the following attendees in place... Majority Shareholder, John Fenty & the former chairman all present ...the vote being unequivocal with all 3 in favour of remaining in the comp.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 49
LH
December 20, 2018, 10:17pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,390
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Personally I think the format of the competition is great but the invited teams should be replaced by the top teams in the Conference.  Groups should then be localised to create as many derby games as possible.

Group games could perhaps be scheduled for weekends before the competition reverts to midweek in the knockout stages.

Agree with most of that. If we were in a group with Scunny, Lincoln and Donny all of the games would be close to sell outs. I don’t think it should be played at weekends though. Midweek cup games were something I missed during our non league exile.

I watched the ITV England documentary tonight and was reminded that many of those semi finalists had played  in the third and fourth tier and in non-league either on loan or on permanent contracts. The FA should be sticking their oar in on this issue and protecting clubs like ours and those lower down.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
arryarryarry
December 21, 2018, 4:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jamesgtfc

If I remember correctly they did that some years ago and we were knocked out by a non league club, Morecambe.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 49
GrimRob
December 21, 2018, 6:53am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
The format is not brilliant even ignoring the invited teams as there are too many irrelevant games. It's a shame there wasn't time to consider alternatives as there must be some. The old format didn't work either the obvious thing is more local games.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › EFL Trophy decision

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.