1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Sigone
December 19, 2018, 4:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Of the alliance cup after a 1-0 win at cheapside today against Bradford city ..Brandon Buckley getting the goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
December 19, 2018, 5:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Well done lads!

Be great if they can repeat the feat of Woodsy's side in the early noughties and win the comp.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
1mickylyons
December 20, 2018, 10:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Love to see and hear MJ publicly back them I know he will have done in private and that`s what matters most. At long last GTFC appear to be really focusing on home grown talent and this will reap dividends long term.Football goes in cycles and GTFC are due a run of goodluck hopefully the emergence of Clifton is the start of this? Oh and Scunny prepare yourselves for hard times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
Kennyh
December 20, 2018, 1:41pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +48
Massive credit to Woodsy...looks like we have a great group of youngsters available for the first team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
diehardmariner
December 20, 2018, 2:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,403
Gold Stars: 532
Can't be a fluke that we didn't really produce anyone through the youth set-up when Woods wasn't involved and then we look to be back on the right track now he's heading it up again.

I think we're very lucky to have him as a youth coach.  
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
LondonMariner43
December 21, 2018, 3:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
Interesting how Neil Woods seems to be a great youth coach but hasn’t had success as a manager.  Did the Town job come too early or is he just not the right personality for a senior role?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
diehardmariner
December 21, 2018, 4:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,403
Gold Stars: 532
I think the accusations that were always thrown at Woods is that he was too nice.  How true that is I don't know. Personally I always felt Woods was on a hiding to nothing when he took over here, such was the state of the club and the dressing room.  He didn't get it all right in his first pre-season but realistically in hindsight we can now see that it wasn't a quick fix needed.  It must have frustrated him to see Scott and Hurst (then Hurst on his own) get a lot longer to get it right.

There's a huge difference between a good coach and a good manager though.  Woods' primary role as Head of Youth/Youth Coach whatever his title is to develop players to progress into the first team.  Results, cup runs etc. are a an added potential bonus bi-product of players developing and working well together.   Put it this way, if Town's youth side lost every single game each season but Woods' still produced two players each year that were good enough for the first team, I don't think anyone would mind.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
arryarryarry
December 21, 2018, 11:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think the accusations that were always thrown at Woods is that he was too nice.  How true that is I don't know. Personally I always felt Woods was on a hiding to nothing when he took over here, such was the state of the club and the dressing room.  He didn't get it all right in his first pre-season but realistically in hindsight we can now see that it wasn't a quick fix needed.  It must have frustrated him to see Scott and Hurst (then Hurst on his own) get a lot longer to get it right.

There's a huge difference between a good coach and a good manager though.  Woods' primary role as Head of Youth/Youth Coach whatever his title is to develop players to progress into the first team.  Results, cup runs etc. are a an added potential bonus bi-product of players developing and working well together.   Put it this way, if Town's youth side lost every single game each season but Woods' still produced two players each year that were good enough for the first team, I don't think anyone would mind.

He didn't get anything right while he was caretaker manager which made the decision to give him the post full time all the more barmy.

My understanding from one of the players was that he couldn't manage/control some of the senior players.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Youth team in the semi final

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.