4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
December 16, 2018, 11:13am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,551
Gold Stars: 215
Hopefully he'll want to stay. He's settled in well and is playing superbly. There's a lot to be said for continuity!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
denni266
December 16, 2018, 11:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
I think Embleton will see the season out with us..  he is settled and enjoying his football.. He has said he is happy to stay. His  future lays further up the leagues than where we are that is for sure .but for this season he is happy here. I would not understand his home club wanting to upset the rytham at this point  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
NorthseaMariner
December 16, 2018, 11:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
I really hope he stays, but who knows what will happen? How old is he, 19, I’m not sure?

The pro’s:
He’s happy playing here
He’s getting regular game time with a team trying to play football, that also suits him.
He’s playing well here.
If it went somewhere else he may not get to play as much
Their style may not suit him and so he regresses.

The con’s:
He’s clearly destined for a higher level than lower L2
He could end up at another club playing with better players around him, maybe.

On balance I think it’s better for us and him to remain for now, but as I said who knows the outcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
Caveman
December 16, 2018, 12:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
I thought the referee yesterday deserved a mention.

In those conditions it is not just difficult for the players but with
the ball either holding up or picking up speed suddenly there are
going to be mistimed tackles and I thought the referee handled
the game sensibly.

He has shown no red cards this season and I believe he spent
only one year in the National League before being promoted to
the EFL.

Continue in that vein and he could go to the top.

Credit goes to him and both teams and btw, not one Swindon
player appealed against the penalty decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
Croxton
December 16, 2018, 12:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Just seen a slowmo of the Swindon goal. We will concede more of these if :-

A. If we pass back instead of taking responsibility.

B. If we keep giving free kicks away

c. We signal that one corner of the goal is wide open.

D. Our 6 foot CB's duck out the way!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
devs
December 16, 2018, 1:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Great point about the ref
Common sense  in those conditions
And like all good refs hardly noticed him to be fair
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
sam gy
December 16, 2018, 2:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,476
Gold Stars: 55
Just watched the extended highlights. Was a lot better than expected after reading this thread/Twitter - they had some good chances, but it looks like we definetly attacked them and had plenty of good chances too.

Happy for Pringle to have an ‘off day’, as his passing and set piece delivery is the best we’ve had in years, imo. He’s an asset and we need him on the pitch.

Speaking of assets, Embleton is just getting better and better...his ability and willingness to have a go on goal from outside the box is crucial for us. If he stays we’re gonna get a lot more goals either from him, or from his rebounds.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
Les Brechin
December 16, 2018, 3:07pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Definitely one of the best refs we've had this season.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
Tommy
December 17, 2018, 1:45pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Bigdog

First half the wind naturally pushed us back, but was too strong for Swindon to play throughballs without running out of play. Having played both at centre half and centre forward, I would say it's easier to play against the wind going forward as the ball will hold up more to be able to compete for it or turn the defence and put them under pressure and easier to defend against such a strong wind as it's difficult for a marked forward to get hold of it. Passes forward need to be really accurate whereas passes against the wind don't need to be as the ball holds up in the air to give time to compete. Also crossing with your natural foot from your natural flank is more dangerous against the wind as it's easier to bend into that uncertain area between defence and keeper and with a wind like today swirl around a bit. Swindon put a few balls in like that second half which put us under a bit of pressure.

So the wind pushed us back first half, while second half I thought Swindon's play pushed us back. At times their centre midfield drove through our centre midfield and our full backs were a little exposed at times. We were quite deep both halves. The first half I'd give credit to the wind, the second half I would give the opposition credit for pushing us back. Swindon played the ball on the ground much better than we did. To compare the two halves would be like comparing chalk and cheese when it came to the very different challenges we faced in both.

I thought DC did quite well before he went off, probably a bit too deep at times which gave their midfield too much time to play and left Clifton and Hessenthaler a bit exposed. For his first game back for nearly a month, I thought AW did really well after he adjusted to the pace of the game. It's weird but playing against the wind defensively many would instinctively think the best thing to do would be play deeper when it's completely the opposite and facing the wind you should play a little deeper to cut down the danger of the ball behind which holds up in the wind. In an ideal world it would be great if we were good enough to push up in both scenarios but I guess at this level there are always compromises not always with the defenders themselves and sometimes more to do with what happens in front of them including the quality of possession the oppo have. In Woolery, I thought Swindon had the best midfielder on the pitch and he really bossed it second half and was really surprised he got substituted near the end. They didn't seem to threaten as much after that and we played out the final ten minutes relatively comfortably.

On the whole in other games I think the AW/HD partnership play naturally at least 10 yards closer to our midfield than a DC/HD partnership. It closes down the space for the opposition to play in, get shots off and keep their heads down. They're generally prevented from shooting rather than having shots blocked with last minute lunges that fly anywhere and more importantly our defenders stay on their feet more too. At the same time it closes down the space on the flanks which means that the full backs push up to our wide men more who when closer in attendance are able to support Hendrie and Fox better. I thought Pringle cheated a bit today and when Hessenthaler was moved out to the right after Pringle was substituted, he did more to support Hendrie than Pringle did all game. Pringle is a luxury player who I enjoy watching with the ball but I'm not sure if he's a long term fix due to his lack of pace and willingness to work defensively. On the other side Fox did well but their full back had the freedom of the park second half to put some dangerous balls in after Vernam went off and it left us unbalanced as neither Embleton or Clifton fully assumed that role.

So, it was hard to compare DC and AW today as DC played most of the first half and AW the rest and all of the second and both faced very different propositions..

Thanks mate, appreciate the response. Thought the conditions might make it difficult to directly compare the two different partnerships.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.