3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
cardiffmariner
December 8, 2018, 6:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,293
Gold Stars: 23
Deserved all three points. Better team up until their goal, which was a lucky deflection. Struggled to regain composure after that and thankful for half time.

Second half only one team in it. Pressed well and had enough good positions/chances to have pushed on and won. When we kept the ball down we looked good and I was particularly impressed with the midfield.

Came away upbeat. The only other game I’ve seen this season is FGR and we were unrecognisable from that.

Wes Thomas ran his bottom off and did superbly for the goal. Maybe the wrong Rose brought on.

Onwards and upwards. If you weren’t there today resist the temptation to criticise. The result wasn’t what we want but the performance was. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
barralad
December 8, 2018, 7:26pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +85 / -20
Approval: +9,192
Gold Stars: 121
Pretty much as I saw it. We started on the front foot but first half there were too many misplaced passes and players not moving/anticipating. We were bullied especially in midfield by their two big lads and Thomas in particular got increasingly frutrated by the lack of service-berating Clifton for one particularly half hearted pass. Their goal took enough of a swerve deflection to turn a decent effort into an unstoppable one. There was of course opportunity for an excellent Macca save with his feet from close range. The fans mirrored the team's doldrums despite the efforts of a lone guy who showed great tenacity in starting at least ten songs only for nobidy to join in. His voice gave out just after they scored. One of the features of Town's recent play has been that the days of thinking we won't come back after going behind have gone and nobody seemed particularly concerned.
Second half was totally different. Pringle found his line, Vernam found his speed and willingness to run with the ball and Clifton and Hess discovered their teeth.  The equaliser owed much to some fantastic work by Thomas and great anticipation from Embers who'd drifted into the six yard box totally unmarked. From then there was only one team in it. Thomas missed a good chance created by his own strong running and skill on the ball. Pringle should've done better with his effort. Having read on here the criticism of Jolley for the sub it seems a tad harsh. Those around me (and me) thought he looked knackered and that's without mentioning the punch up he got involved in off the ball with one of their lads when punches were landed. We will always miss his ability and it proved to be the case. Their penalty was too far away to see properly but the earlier incident where Thomas was just thrown to the ground was missed by a lino 30 feet away and a ref even closer. We didn't deserve to get nowt out of the game. We have played far worse and won under Jolley particularly at the back end of last season. Not too despondent tonight.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
Mariner93er
December 8, 2018, 7:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,666
Gold Stars: 28
A great summary. We're a few good additions away from being a good team. There was a spell leading up to our goal were it was wave after wave of attack, it was great to watch. In the end we've lost to a cruel deflection and a sloppy penalty. To be fair to Davis, he didn't do a thing wrong up until then, and I think he's made a real difference at the back since he's come in.

Defeats like this hurt the most, when you know we didn't deserve to lose, but encouraging signs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
hampshiremariner
December 8, 2018, 7:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,006
Gold Stars: 35
I truly dislike Cheltenham Uo until that play-off final in 2006 we always beat them. Now it's the other way round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Abdul19
December 8, 2018, 8:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,431
Gold Stars: 213
Incredibly, Slades took 4 points off them last season.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
December 8, 2018, 9:13pm
Guest User
We are progressing.

Finding us very enjoyable to watch

Second half absolutely dominated them

Their keeper was man of match

Their number 6 was quality. Apart from that they look like a decent conference team. Very well organised off the ball. Direct and physical on it. Lacking in quality overall.

Collins shows his worth every time I see him. Think hess had a great game. Thomas can roll his man and create stuff out of nothing.

Don’t think jolley was to blame at all. He is progressing us nicely.

Need to keep embo.

Hate Cheltenham with a passion
Reply: 5 - 29
HertsGTFC
December 8, 2018, 9:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,555
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from 3610
We are progressing.

Finding us very enjoyable to watch

Second half absolutely dominated them

Their keeper was man of match

Their number 6 was quality. Apart from that they look like a decent conference team. Very well organised off the ball. Direct and physical on it. Lacking in quality overall.

Collins shows his worth every time I see him. Think hess had a great game. Thomas can roll his man and create stuff out of nothing.

Don’t think jolley was to blame at all. He is progressing us nicely.

Need to keep embo.

Hate Cheltenham with a passion

This...

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
moosey_club
December 8, 2018, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
watched the highlights now and Chelts had plenty of chances in the game as did we....its a shame Thomas and Pringle werent a little cooler in front of goal but thats why they are playing at this level....soft penalty but fair play to Jones he was on the move anticipating the nod down and we were flat footed which was enough for Hendrie to be challenging slightly late and from the wrong side.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
sydney
December 8, 2018, 10:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 2
So frustrating
We dominated,  they where poor, we looked like the only team who was going to win after we equalised
And we lost!
We seemed to play in spasms
Brilliant for 10
Then Sat back for 10
Came away from a game where we where confident we would get a result and couldn’t believe we had actually lost
Thomas was excellent today and wish he had scored from his second half 1 on 1 with the keeper
Vernam Quiet
Stronger and Stronger second half and should have won
Ref was shite and inevitable he would influence a major decision coz if there’s was a pen So was ours earlier in the half
Two Winnable Home games coming up
Come on Town keep improving and keep together
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
Bigdog
December 8, 2018, 11:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I largely agree with Barra, cardiffmariner and salfordmariner about the events of the game. We are improving, we are becoming enjoyable to watch and we should have won today.. but we didn't and we didn't because we shoot ourselves in the foot in games like this that we should win at a canter. Let's face it, Cheltenham are a very poor team, one of the worst defensively I've seen all season and barring one or two individuals not a patch on our eleven.

Where I disagree is with the not too disappointed, don't be downhearted sort of sentiments. I was spitting feathers that we lost a game like this. I was really frustrated. Are we going to be a set of fans that don't mind getting beat by a shite side because we were better than we've been in the past season or two? Are we becoming more accepting of undeserved defeats when we shouldn't? We want to be supporting ruthless winners and demanding three points off sides like Cheltenham if we are going to progress.

I don't understand Jolley's statement saying that we were trying to play deep and hit them on the break because for the first thirty minutes or so we were pressing them high up the pitch and taking the game by the scruff of the neck. But.. we didn't get that breakthrough and then for the rest of the half including the ten minutes before they scored our defence unexplicably dropped off an extra ten or twenty yards and they got a foothold in the game using the extra space. suddenly our midfield two were more exposed and they had time on the ball, suddenly Fox was more exposed not knowing whether to stick or twist with their wing back as Embleton wasn't helping and the central defence was too deep to give him support. Does he go tight and expose himself to the ball inside him? Dropping off so much causes this indecision and lets a team like Cheltenham get into a game that their inabilities shouldn't be able to if we kept our foot on the gas. To be fair their goal, lucky or not was coming the five or ten minutes before it did and they could have added another before half time. We came out second half and should have won the game with the gilt edged chances we created and some great crosses no-one had the gumption to gamble for. It was working well because our defence got tighter and higher then last fifteen we dropped right off again and gave them time and space in and around our box. I was alarmed at how deep we drop into our box too, if we're going to drop deep you defend at the edge of your box to avoid incidents like the penalty decision.

We are improving and I'm now expecting us to win games like this. We have only ourselves to blame and there will be plenty for Jolley to analyse this weekend, both good and bad. Hess and Thomas were outstanding and our other players were both good and bad throughout the game. I know we've seen a lot of shite over the past two seasons and to be truthful there's not a lot to worry about but there's plenty we can improve upon. I'm more frustrated that we haven't built upon our good run today than seeing some of the ineptitude last season because I didn't expect much from the side last season. I do this season and if the players are honest with themselves, they threw three points away today and will know they will need to be more ruthless and eliminate the mistakes. If not, we are not going to progress. If we are going to play on the front foot from front to back, I'd like to have a defence that plays on the front foot like the game against Tranmere, I think this is the way we're going to get the best results as well as playing an attractive brand of football. Today was a mish mash of styles throughout the ninety minutes and there were periods of play that we looked cohesive and others where we looked a bit of a muddle.

I've got hope for this team with a few tweaks and a couple of additions, but we're going to have to put games like this away regularly if we want to be at the other end of the table in the future. I'm not downhearted but very frustrated that we've let three points go. We can't keep writing off games like this and politely say that it doesnt matter too much, because it does..

We didn't deserve to win today because we weren't ruthless enough in both boxes. On the balance of play it's easy to say that we deserved to win but at the crucial moments we were slack and at times we made poor positional decisions and gave Cheltenham more room to play than we are capable of letting them have. These areas need to improve as much as other aspects of our game have recently. We weren't unlucky today, we just let a game that we generally dominated slip through our fingers and only have ourselves to blame..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.