Bigdog
December 9, 2018, 5:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC

We are a work in progress potentially we'll progress to see Whitmore & Davis as the CB pairing next season. If MJ is thinking that next season we'll seriously challenge for top 7 then having a solid CB pairing will be crucial I'm not sure why Collins appears to be guaranteed to start when we are building for the future.  

That's the bit I don't get Herts. What can being dropped when playing well do to Whitmore's confidence? Is it helping with building a team for the future and are our results any better with Collins in the team? He's as good if not better in the air than Collins, quicker, stronger, marks tighter, Davis seems to play better on the front foot with Whitmore, the team seem to play better on the front foot as a whole by holding a higher line with Whitmore and Whitmore is less error prone.

Collins may make the odd eyecatching last ditch block or header but if anyone's got the time to watch the match on Saturday again and study our back line habits during the game ie dropping off and giving Cheltenham threatening time and space and see how many times Collins recklessly runs into midfield and misses headers it will dilute any positive thoughts about his play if a fan stops solely ball watching throughout the game. The gap between defence and our midfield was alarmingly large at times, defenders lining up on our six yard box while the opposition were free on the edge of the box and Davis was drawn into playing the same way when he looked so impressive on the front foot against Tranmere.

I can't my head around what Jolley sees to make DC a guaranteed starter and not many fans could argue against my opinion if they took their defensive loyalty hat off and properly studied the evidence. I'm not part of a witch hunt as some would argue, I just want our side to be the best it can be as soon as it can and in my mind MJ playing DC is holding us back and also holding careers back of young players that can do better if given the chance on a regular basis.

In the last two games I've seen no benefit in dropping Whitmore at all, as was the case when DC walked straight back in the side after his broken arm..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
December 9, 2018, 5:53pm
Guest User
I know you think he sits too deep, slow etc...
all these are valid points. But, and it’s all about opinions..... but I think he brings something to the team that shows his worth.

He is a “ruthless winner” as you put it.

He has played in the premier league, and his experience is crucial for our young developing side. I am sure our centre half’s will learn and develop aspects of their game from playing and training with him.

He leads from the front and organises the defence, gets his head on everything.

For what it’s worth. I think Davis is playing very well, especially since moving to centre half. And I really like whitmore. He reminds me a little of Pearson.

I am not saying Collins is miles ahead of these two, I just said I thought his mentality and experience (along with good performances), show his worth to the team.
Reply: 21 - 29
Northbank Mariner
December 9, 2018, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from 3610
I know you think he sits too deep, slow etc...
all these are valid points. But, and it’s all about opinions..... but I think he brings something to the team that shows his worth.

He is a “ruthless winner” as you put it.

He has played in the premier league, and his experience is crucial for our young developing side. I am sure our centre half’s will learn and develop aspects of their game from playing and training with him.

He leads from the front and organises the defence, gets his head on everything.

For what it’s worth. I think Davis is playing very well, especially since moving to centre half. And I really like whitmore. He reminds me a little of Pearson.

I am not saying Collins is miles ahead of these two, I just said I thought his mentality and experience (along with good performances), show his worth to the team.

Unfortunately he's holding back the progression of the team tho, there's no doubting he WAS a great defender with a very good pedigree but now, father time is showing and the way we have to play with DC in the back line is affecting our forward play...
I know what you're saying him transferring his knowledge and experience onto our young defenders but I'd rather see that done on the trainihg ground and not on match days on the pitch .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
MuddyWaters
December 9, 2018, 6:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Harry Davis has made over 200 senior appearances, giving plenty of experience, and I would argue that Whitmore has been our best centre back this season other than one really poor outing at Bury - he was not on his own - DC has been great but the other two would get the nod from me.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Mariner93er
December 9, 2018, 6:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Collins brings experience. There were so msny times yesterday when he was bellowing instructions to the younger players, telling them were to position etc. Whether this leadership warrants a starting birth is debateable, but beyond him it's a very young team.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Bigdog
December 9, 2018, 7:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Harry Davis has made over 200 senior appearances, giving plenty of experience, and I would argue that Whitmore has been our best centre back this season other than one really poor outing at Bury - he was not on his own - DC has been great but the other two would get the nod from me.

Pringle, Thomas, McKeown and Hessenthaler have also played over 200 games too. We're not that short of experience in our regular starting line up and with only one teenager in the side and a total of three under the age of 24, we're hardly matching the Busby Babes are we? It's a pleasant change from the past few years of journeyman after journeyman but I don't think the average age of our side is much different to many in our league and doesn't need a babysitter which has been proven on several occasions this season..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Cloudy
December 10, 2018, 7:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Unfortunately he's holding back the progression of the team tho, there's no doubting he WAS a great defender with a very good pedigree but now, father time is showing and the way we have to play with DC in the back line is affecting our forward play...
I know what you're saying him transferring his knowledge and experience onto our young defenders but I'd rather see that done on the trainihg ground and not on match days on the pitch .

If I am being generous I’d say that may be correct as I doubt DC will be playing in our first team in 2 years time but maybe we should just ‘build for the future’ and forget about today?

ANY manager will pick what he believes is his best team to win a game, with possibly half an eye on the next game or two (I.e. Tuesday sat, Tues or a packed Christmas program) and that is precisely why  DC is one of the first names on the team sheet.
If I was manager I’d want my best defender playing, I don’t accept we would play any higher up the pitch if DC wasnt  playing ( by way of example I recall seeing us sit in our box for the 2nd half at MKD).

For every Kev Moore you want a Chris Nicholl for every Mark Lever or Peter Handyside you need a Lord Futcher.

Not a witch hunt?
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
pen penfras
December 10, 2018, 8:01am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
I don't really understand why Collins is being berated and Whitmore sought of as the replacement. I agree that Collins' lack of mobility is a weakness, but Whitmore isn't any different as far as I can see and Collins is far better in the other aspects such as reading the game, leading the defence and playing the ball out.

If you were talking about playing Famewo, who is something different to the others, then I might understand. But Whitmore isn't the answer to the problems that Danny Collins brings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
MuddyWaters
December 10, 2018, 4:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from pen penfras
I don't really understand why Collins is being berated and Whitmore sought of as the replacement. I agree that Collins' lack of mobility is a weakness, but Whitmore isn't any different as far as I can see and Collins is far better in the other aspects such as reading the game, leading the defence and playing the ball out.

If you were talking about playing Famewo, who is something different to the others, then I might understand. But Whitmore isn't the answer to the problems that Danny Collins brings.

Danny Collins plays a very deep line because he has lost a yard of pace, Whitmore plays higher up the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
ska face
December 10, 2018, 5:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
Good of Danny Collins to step into the JJ Hooper role following his departure last week.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.