December 5, 2018, 2:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Tommy

I wouldn't make that connection myself.

Hooper was very very rarely used as a striker. And without Hooper we've still got 5 strikers (not including Robles who appears to be cheap and making up the numbers).

If anything it'd suggest to me a wide player may be incoming. But right just be a case of freeing up some of the budget by offloading someone not making the 18-man squad.

We have one proven striker at the club plus Cardwell who is making his way in the game. We must recruit another surely?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
zorro_is_a_Mariner
December 5, 2018, 2:55pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Hooper didn't score enough for us, he wasnt clinical enough up top and his not league 2 level.

1 hatrick at the end of last season and some people thought he would smash it this season. Jolley game him enough chances and his clearly not good enough.

All the best Hooper at Bromley. utm

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
Abdul19
December 5, 2018, 4:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Good luck to the lad, played well in the run that kept us up. Hope he does well and they want to sign him, to free up some wages.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
Tommy
December 5, 2018, 4:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We have one proven striker at the club plus Cardwell who is making his way in the game. We must recruit another surely?

Not sure while we've still got 5 strikers.

And it depends how much we want Cardwell and A.Rose to develop (I think they both could develop into very useful players). As any new striker signing pushes them down the pecking order. And are we guaranteed goals from a new striker. Obviously nothings a guarantee, it'd take a proper "hairs on the back of your neck" signing to warrant bringing one in, for me.

Otherwise, don't bother. We've started scoring goals, we're starting to get a nice settled system and settled side. And we've got promising young players who with game time could really push on.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
KingstonMariner
December 5, 2018, 5:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Great nightlife in Bromley.

Must have improved an awful lot since the mid-90s then,   I moved over from that way then and it was thoroughly suburban.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
sonofmadeleymariner
December 5, 2018, 5:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Problem with Hooper is he doesn't know how to play football. He's got physical attributes and the skill but he doesn't know what he's doing on a pitch.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
jamesgtfc
December 5, 2018, 5:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Problem with Hooper is he doesn't know how to play football. He's got physical attributes and the skill but he doesn't know what he's doing on a pitch.

Always thought similar. He probably trains really well. Technically, he is quite good but he doesn't use his physical attributes enough and he seems to lack a "football brain".

For his size, he doesn't win anywhere near enough headers and doesn't anticipate crosses, often stood flat footed in the box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
LondonMariner43
December 5, 2018, 7:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
For a striker, reading the game can be the most important attribute - getting in the right place at the right time - Sheringham, Lineker.

My son plays striker in his Sunday league team and scores a few.  He isn’t very skillful but a combination of football nous and pace means he is often the one popping the ball in the net.  He always says he mainly scores tap ins but I always reply that someone has to be there to tap it in.

Bit like Vernam’s goal on Saturday.  It was a bit of a scuff off his knee but if he hadn’t been onside and in the box at the right time, he wouldn’t have got the goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Maringer
December 5, 2018, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,397
Gold Stars: 184
I think Hooper is decent in the air, but only when playing off the wing where he doesn't have to look both directions for the defender. Through the middle, he's not aware enough to get his body into the right position to shield it or make it difficult for the defender to get the ball.

A pity he's not pushed on after finishing last season well but I think he was helped by the work rate of Cardwell then who was absent when he was in the team this season. Not to mention, of course, we've signed some better players since then as well. I'd imagine he'll do decently well in the Conference but I'd think we would certainly need another striking option in the squad if he leaves. Lose Thomas to injury or suspension and we're then looking rather thin up top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
Swansea_Mariner
December 5, 2018, 8:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,429
Gold Stars: 63
Another Slade signing bites the dust
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hooper

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.