Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If games ended after 43 minutes...
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 174 Guests

If games ended after 43 minutes...

This thread currently has 2,582 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
mike502
December 4, 2018, 10:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
Our struggles in the second half of matches this season - at least until recently - are well known.  But this is quite remarkable... if all League Two games this season had finished at half-time, we'd be fifth... and if they'd finished after 43 minutes, we'd be top!

The gif below - from [url]www.experimental361.com[/url] - shows the results, team by team, of recalculating the league table including only the goals scored up to and including each of the 90 minutes.

[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/l2-2018-12-04.gif?w=455&zoom=2[/img]

Not sure it's particularly meaningful, but it's quite interesting. Someone clearly has too much time on their hands though...
Logged Offline
Private Message
supertown
December 4, 2018, 10:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Interesting but like you say, someone needs to get a job or a hobby !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
TownSNAFU5
December 4, 2018, 10:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,841
Gold Stars: 42
If Carlsberg started matches at 45 mins, we would be screwed!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
Poojah
December 4, 2018, 11:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,413
Gold Stars: 1,497
It’s a strange and quite remarkable stat. Is it meaningful? Quite possibly.

I think it reinforces what we already know - that the side is capable but suffers from mental fragility. We haven’t, until recently, reacted well to events in games going against us.

When you look at the youth of the squad though I think that’s to be expected, but if we can crack that side of things (and signs are we’re beginning to) I’m confident we’ll continue to develop as the season progresses.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
December 4, 2018, 11:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
I think Jolley would be really interested in that statistic or maybe he does already know about it. I think it could actually be a confidence thing, we have the mentality to battle back in games. But we feel uncomfortable being in the lead, we don’t see ourselves so much as doing well and winning once were infront, but holding on.

We need to enjoy winning, stay focused and push for the next goal. Also learn how to pass it around calmly and control a game, more , frustrating the opposition. We sometimes look a bit frantic when we needn’t be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
BeijingMariner
December 4, 2018, 11:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from mike502
Our struggles in the second half of matches this season - at least until recently - are well known.  But this is quite remarkable... if all League Two games this season had finished at half-time, we'd be fifth... and if they'd finished after 43 minutes, we'd be top!

The gif below - from [url]www.experimental361.com[/url] - shows the results, team by team, of recalculating the league table including only the goals scored up to and including each of the 90 minutes.

[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/l2-2018-12-04.gif?w=455&zoom=2[/img]

Not sure it's particularly meaningful, but it's quite interesting. Someone clearly has too much time on their hands though...

I think that without doubt this is meaningful and potentially useful.
Knowing the way you act and think is a powerful tool; who would want to go into a game with no knowledge of either the opposition or, indeed your own team's habits? If this was just a waste of time, why would watching a match back be any different? It's all information.
Data isn't the single answer to everything, but I think MJ could really use this info. I hope he reads this.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
Southwark Mariner
December 4, 2018, 11:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,543
Gold Stars: 82
you can get a half season ticket....maybe we should be selling half a game ticket....send everyone home happy!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
Mrs Doyle
December 5, 2018, 4:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Don't worry M.J. is already on the case he knows the score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
pen penfras
December 5, 2018, 7:19am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Poojah
It’s a strange and quite remarkable stat. Is it meaningful? Quite possibly.

I think it reinforces what we already know - that the side is capable but suffers from mental fragility. We haven’t, until recently, reacted well to events in games going against us.

When you look at the youth of the squad though I think that’s to be expected, but if we can crack that side of things (and signs are we’re beginning to) I’m confident we’ll continue to develop as the season progresses.

I think it's more to do with the way we've been playing. We're playing a high pressing game and for the first 7 or so games, we were pressing incredibly hard for the first 45 minutes. I don't think we scored the goals we deserved, then by about 60 or 70 minutes the players were knackered and that resulted in us letting in goals and teams beating or drawing with us when they were only on top for the last 20/30 minutes. After this happened a few times, the mental fragility seemed to kick in and we went on a run of being poor all round.

I think Jolley has seen this and we don't press quite as hard as we were doing at first. It also seems like we have changed our shape to counter the way that teams were scoring against us, because we're not seeing the defence get run ragged so much now, or maybe that's because we've got more mobile midfielders with Welsh and Woolford not in the side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
diehardmariner
December 5, 2018, 7:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,386
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from pen penfras

I think it's more to do with the way we've been playing. We're playing a high pressing game and for the first 7 or so games, we were pressing incredibly hard for the first 45 minutes. I don't think we scored the goals we deserved, then by about 60 or 70 minutes the players were knackered and that resulted in us letting in goals and teams beating or drawing with us when they were only on top for the last 20/30 minutes. After this happened a few times, the mental fragility seemed to kick in and we went on a run of being poor all round.

I think Jolley has seen this and we don't press quite as hard as we were doing at first. It also seems like we have changed our shape to counter the way that teams were scoring against us, because we're not seeing the defence get run ragged so much now, or maybe that's because we've got more mobile midfielders with Welsh and Woolford not in the side.

Nailed on.

Jolley has brought extra energy into the side which has allowed us to keep a higher tempo for longer.  We've also got Thomas fitter as the main striker which makes a massive difference if you go with the notion that defence starts at the front.

It's no coincidence that since Welsh, Woolford and to an extent Hooper have come out of the eleven we look fresher and our performances reflect that.

The side that beat Tranmere was really young.  I think only Thomas over 30, then McKeown at 29, Davis at 27 and then everyone is under 25.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
Croxton
December 5, 2018, 8:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Getting Hess, Vernam, Clifton' Pringle and Embleton on at the same time has lifted energy levels, fluency and goal threat. Some of the goal attempts on Sunday were wayward but if you don't buy a ticket.......... Also more evidence that there is less expectation on fullbacks to supply the width/crosses etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If games ended after 43 minutes...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.