Private Message
promotion plaice
December 2, 2018, 12:29pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Happy with that group for us.

Tough on Northern Ireland ..........drawn in the same group as Holland and Germany.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
Abdul19
December 2, 2018, 12:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
And even if we don't somehow win the group, we've still got a spot in the playoffs because of the Nations League.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 2, 2018, 12:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Abdul19
And even if we don't somehow win the group, we've still got a spot in the playoffs because of the Nations League.

If we can’t win that group we should pack up the game altogether.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
GrimRob
December 2, 2018, 5:12pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
We still qualify if we come second I think. Then we have a further chance after that in the play-offs? Southgate has been dealt a good hand again, he's a lucky manager.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 19
Maringer
December 2, 2018, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
Czech Republic aren't the team they were a few years back so we certainly ought to be too strong for those countries.

The 'tournament' itself will be shite, though. Playing a load of games in cities spread across Europe does not a tournament make. It's almost as though the bigwigs at UEFA don't have a clue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
TheRealJohnLewis
December 2, 2018, 5:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
How the intercourse is Israel in Europe?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
Manchester Mariner
December 3, 2018, 10:29am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
How the intercourse is Israel in Europe?

It's wherever it wants to be and anyone who argues against them is an antisemite.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
Maringer
December 3, 2018, 1:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
Well, no.

Israel were expelled from the AFC some years ago (back in the 1970s, I think?) which was probably the best thing as most of their neighbours in the region refused to play them in any competition, it wouldn't be safe for them to play any away games and away fans from their neighbours wouldn't get an entry visa.

It was decided that the best thing would be to bung them in UEFA. Probably the best choice, all things considered, though not exactly ideal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
Abdul19
December 3, 2018, 2:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Makes a lot more sense than Australia playing in Asia!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
diehardmariner
December 3, 2018, 3:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,413
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from GrimRob
We still qualify if we come second I think. Then we have a further chance after that in the play-offs? Southgate has been dealt a good hand again, he's a lucky manager.

We topped a three-team group that featured a side that were World Cup finalists four months ago and a side that are still classed as one of the heavy hitters in the world.  That was from a poor start and required a win away at Spain and then beating the World Cup finalists at home in the final two games.

Not sure you can say he's lucky.  He's a very good international manager who is making the most of the supply stream of talent presented to him, a stream he helped develop.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
Gaffer58
December 3, 2018, 6:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
I just think it's great that when we play such as France, Germany Spain etc we actually think we can win, whereas over the last 40 years those teams usually beat us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
Ipswin
December 3, 2018, 7:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Netherlands in the Europa Nations League thingy semi final next June and Portugal play Switzerland
Shame I wanted to play the Dutch in the final would have been a great final I think
Still so long as we stick it up Ronaldo

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
GrimRob
December 3, 2018, 10:15pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from diehardmariner

We topped a three-team group that featured a side that were World Cup finalists four months ago and a side that are still classed as one of the heavy hitters in the world.  That was from a poor start and required a win away at Spain and then beating the World Cup finalists at home in the final two games.

Not sure you can say he's lucky.  He's a very good international manager who is making the most of the supply stream of talent presented to him, a stream he helped develop.

When I said he was lucky I didn't mean that he was overachieving more that he was blessed. I rate him but sometimes the cards just fall your way, like the way the draw opened out in the World Cup and the fact that this extra tournament just happened to come along during his watch. Likewise, the glut of good young players lined up for the next decade. He only got the job by complete chance as well! It's really as though the world has arranged all the pieces in his favour.  The Football Gods shine upon Gareth Southgate and nearly everyone likes him. I certainly do, always have done.  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 19
KingstonMariner
December 3, 2018, 10:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Abdul19
Makes a lot more sense than Australia playing in Asia!

Or Kazakhstan in Europe. They have a border with China FFS. You can't get much deeper into Asia than that before you start coming out the other side!

Plus, Turkey was always the border between Europe and Asia, what with Istanbul being on the European side and the bulk of the country in Asia (the clue's in the title - 'Asia Minor'!). Yet beyond Turkey we have Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
kamakazebear
December 4, 2018, 1:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +457
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Or Kazakhstan in Europe. They have a border with China FFS. You can't get much deeper into Asia than that before you start coming out the other side!

Plus, Turkey was always the border between Europe and Asia, what with Istanbul being on the European side and the bulk of the country in Asia (the clue's in the title - 'Asia Minor'!). Yet beyond Turkey we have Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia.

If Australia can enter the Eurovision Song Contest, anything is possible!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
KingstonMariner
December 4, 2018, 2:03am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from kamakazebear

If Australia can enter the Eurovision Song Contest, anything is possible!

Oz qualifies for that fair and square by being the campest country in the world. 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
diehardmariner
December 4, 2018, 7:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,413
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from GrimRob

When I said he was lucky I didn't mean that he was overachieving more that he was blessed. I rate him but sometimes the cards just fall your way, like the way the draw opened out in the World Cup and the fact that this extra tournament just happened to come along during his watch. Likewise, the glut of good young players lined up for the next decade. He only got the job by complete chance as well! It's really as though the world has arranged all the pieces in his favour.  The Football Gods shine upon Gareth Southgate and nearly everyone likes him. I certainly do, always have done.  

I get what you're saying, but I'm not even sure I agree that the cards fell that much in his favour in the World Cup.  Whilst you can argue we had a relatively easy route to the semi-finals, I think that goes more on the pre-tournament conception of who would do well and who wouldn't.  Who actually had a tough route?  The last year has seen a massive power shift at the top table.  The teams that have dominated the last decade are simply spent forces.  Southgate recognised the pending tide change and got ahead of the curve.  Out went the old guard and in came a new fresh England, one capable of playing a game he recognised.  Whilst I'm sure most will think it was the right decision to offload Rooney, Hart, Cahill etc. many a manager wouldn't have done that because it was the easy choice to stick with them.  The decision to go with back 3 on the eve of the tournament was bold, brave and brilliant.  He deserves credit for recognising and acknowledging that we weren't quite there yet and had to adapt just for the tournament.

In terms of luck, had we had a little against Croatia we would have been out of sight by half-time.  

His appointment, I agree with what you're saying.  I think he was the next in line after Big Sam but it would probably be about now that he was taking charge. At the time I thought Sam was the right man but Southgate has proven that he should have had the job all along.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
Abdul19
December 4, 2018, 8:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I think the eastern Europe-Asia border is the Ural river, so about 1% of Kazakhstan is in Europe (although obviously they play their games about a million miles east of here). This might be nonsense though, I've not done any of my usual high intensity checks (Wikipedia or an episode of Pointless)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
Gaffer58
December 4, 2018, 9:21am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
So if we lose all our group games we're through anyway due to the nations cup thingy? It's all the start of a closed shop in the premier, certain clubs always in the champions league, eventually clubs like Town will have to accept division 2 is the best we'll ever be because we don't reach the criteria required for division 1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Euro 2020 Qualifying

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.