Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Solihull v Blackpool (Live BBC 2)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 227 Guests

Solihull v Blackpool (Live BBC 2)

This thread currently has 6,020 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Tommy
December 1, 2018, 9:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Summerfield is hardly bossing the midfield, he's anonymous, passing backwards or sideways when he does get the ball.  Useless at set pieces, a team with Summerfield in, is never going to score many goals.

This is where a bias takes over.

You must've ignored all the forward passes and only chosen to notice the sideways/backwards passes, that are often the right decision to keep possession. They just nearly scored from a Summerfield free kick too for a bit more balance.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
promotion plaice
December 1, 2018, 9:54pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Amond poor tonight.....Shaun Pearson gets MOTM

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
TheRealJohnLewis
December 1, 2018, 9:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
That's the first of all the corners and free kicks that has had a positive effect. The rest of the match he been ineffectual.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
LH
December 1, 2018, 10:11pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player or even a team hit every set piece in a match exactly where they want them to go. Isn’t it something daft like 2% of corners result in a goal?
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
moosey_club
December 2, 2018, 12:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from LH
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player or even a team hit every set piece in a match exactly where they want them to go. Isn’t it something daft like 2% of corners result in a goal?

Probably...but thats where Cambridge, Watford, Wimbledon, Lincoln just adapted their style to play for corners and set pieces....up the number you get and the likelehood you will score increases...playing the percentages.
I think the analyst. that Graham Taylor based his approach on had presented the case that most goals were scored with no more than 3 prior touches for the team.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
KingstonMariner
December 2, 2018, 1:16am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club

Probably...but thats where Cambridge, Watford, Wimbledon, Lincoln just adapted their style to play for corners and set pieces....up the number you get and the likelehood you will score increases...playing the percentages.
I think the analyst. that Graham Taylor based his approach on had presented the case that most goals were scored with no more than 3 prior touches for the team.

Charles Hughes?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
Maringer
December 2, 2018, 9:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
Yep, which led to a great example of the law of unintended consequences as managers such as Taylor looked at the surface of the stats and decided that it meant the best way to score was to get it into the opposition box as quickly as possible, which led to decades of HOOFball in England.

I'd say our recent tactics of 11 men in the box to defend set pieces is a similar example of looking at the stats but not the wider view. You'll never persuade me that getting everyone back instead of leaving one or two players further upfield is the best way to defend them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
moosey_club
December 3, 2018, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Maringer
Yep, which led to a great example of the law of unintended consequences as managers such as Taylor looked at the surface of the stats and decided that it meant the best way to score was to get it into the opposition box as quickly as possible, which led to decades of HOOFball in England.

I'd say our recent tactics of 11 men in the box to defend set pieces is a similar example of looking at the stats but not the wider view. You'll never persuade me that getting everyone back instead of leaving one or two players further upfield is the best way to defend them.

Me neither.....just having a single player up would occupy at least 2 opposition and give us a fighting chance of preventing the ball coming straight back.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Solihull v Blackpool (Live BBC 2)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.