7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
November 28, 2018, 3:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

Still got Elliott Whitehouse to come back as well. I wonder how far he's off from a return.
[tweet]1067061995105595393[/tweet]

Highly unlikely he will be able to play 1st team football this season and if he does will be the last game or two at best.

Can't hurry these things -leave it until next season
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
November 28, 2018, 3:49pm
Guest User
Won't we be needing a left back?

A good striker is always welcome at any club, but with Thomas, Cardwell, Akheem and (cough) JJ
our need is not so critical. And we look capable of getting goals from midfield.

Someone who can deliver a good cross might be a better shout...but do they exist?
I watch plenty of Premiership players who seem incapable of beating the first defender when they
put the ball into the box.

So a quality left back who's a decent crosser would be top of my list. Wishful thinking, probably...
Reply: 11 - 68
Pogo
November 28, 2018, 4:30pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
We have a brilliant crosser of the ball in Ben Pringle, I thought we was class yesterday along with most of the team.. he’s got that bit of quality we need and I’d love to see him sign permenantly UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 68
Maringer
November 28, 2018, 4:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,405
Gold Stars: 184
I think we have enough central defenders and it will be interesting to see if Collins is returned to the team straight away or not. I think Davis and Whitmore have shown they are generally good enough at this level when in form and it would be nice to see Famewo getting a game in his preferred position as well due to his extra athleticism.

If Fox does leave, we might perhaps sign a left-sided player capable of playing wing-back as well to give the option of three at the back? Not sure if Collins is really mobile enough any longer to play in a three, however.

Up front, we do have quite a lot of strikers, especially if Cook is considered as such (still doesn't look a striker to me). However, nothing wrong with having a lot of striking options available and, though generally playing quite well, Thomas and Vernam haven't exactly been prolific this season. None of the forward line is irreplaceable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 68
Stew0_0
November 28, 2018, 4:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
We NEED to tie down Hendrie and Embleton until the end of the season, as they are now KEY players for us.

Other than this a striker, a left back (Koiki?) and a winger please.

On departures expecting Fox to leave and would like us to move on Robles, Hooper and maybe extend Wrights loan at Boston until end of the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
MuddyWaters
November 28, 2018, 5:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
The extension of Embo's loan will be a great bit of business and, as others have said, the departures of those not in the matchday squad by others capable of starting is essential. We've got the nucleus of a decent side now and, with Whitmore & Davis in the side, pose a greater threat at set-pieces too.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 68
pen penfras
November 28, 2018, 7:31pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Nutsy
Come January I want to see us tie Embleton down for the whole season, as well as a winger/striker and possibly a CB...

Surely we need to offload players before we bring more in. If Embleton stays, he virtually has to play. Signing a winger as well means he gets pushed into the middle and one of Clifton or Hessenthaler loses a place they don't deserve to. Mitch Rose has also been very good this season and there's also John Welsh. It's way too many midfielders, and there's still Whitehouse to come back.

We're pretty meaty up front too. Thomas, Cardwell, Cook, Vernam and Rose have all scored goals this season and I think there's plenty of threat with these players, particularly Thomas who looks a very good player.

Oh and Hooper is also still about, although seems hard to envisage him breaking back into the side at the moment.

We do seem a little bit short at the back, probably because we seem to have had two or three injured or suspended pretty much since the season started. It'd be nice to keep Hendrie for the season, but I do think we've been caught out quite a lot when he bombs forward, we lose the ball and then get hit on the counter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
HertsGTFC
November 28, 2018, 7:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,876
Gold Stars: 227
On the basis of last night firstly I’d just completely  focus on retaining every player in the squad, minimise the disruption and grow the long term build & unity. Leave Max Wright out and everyone signed who wants to stay and remain “part of it” stays.

For cover though another CB, a FB who can play both sides and another wide player.

All that said we are a work in progress, MJ has a plan and we just need to trust in that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
moosey_club
November 28, 2018, 8:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,203
Gold Stars: 224
Bearing in mind it has been hinted that Fox has had discussions about leaving then i take that as code for....."I'm off but i will give you the Jan window to replace me so i dont leave you in the lurch"

So i expect a full back....that Ali Koiki (?) fella from Burnley would do me fine if he was available but i think he has recently made the first team matchday squad so may be out of reach now.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 68
headingly_mariner
November 28, 2018, 9:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Left back, pacy winger and big physical centre forward for me. But must add quality, not cheap squad fodder.

I’d really like to see us sign Hendrie permanently
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.