2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
barralad
November 28, 2018, 8:41am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Thirty years ago this season was Sir Alan's first season in charge of The Mariners. Anyone over 40 who regularly watched Town at that time will remember that Buckley's way of playing the game didn't meet with either instant success or universal appreciation by fans who had suffered five years of rapid decline. I vividly remember watching the team surrender meekly to a Rochdale side struggling to shake off the tag of perennial strugglers and the word consistency was never used in the same sentence as GTFC.
Then on one wet night in November something happened. A Donny side nearer the top of the Division 4 table than the bottom were put to the sword 5-0 in what was described by the Grimsby Evening Telegraph at the time as a scintillating display of attacking football. Within days runaway league leaders Wolves had been beaten in the F.A. Cup and there was a buzz around the club that saw renewed enthusiasm. Quite simply the Town had woken up to what they were seeing.
I would never risk making predictions-God knows we've had many a false dawn over the last decade or so but how great would it be if the next couple of months be of 2018/19 followed a similar pattern??

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner Timsky
November 28, 2018, 8:55am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
On last nights performance and the last hour of Saturdays game and the game v Mk Mongs we SHOULD be beating Chesterfield very comfortably and finding ourselves in the hat for the 3rd round, , , , ,, ,

but, , , , ,,

We are Town and things don't always go to plan

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
grimps
November 28, 2018, 9:28am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
I was thinking the same the other day , we was near the bottom until our cup run started the season Sir Alan took over .
We went onto beat Wolves who was running away with the third division , Rotherham who would end up Div 4 Champs and Middlesbrough away who was 5th in Div 1 at the time and we  nearly made the play offs after getting to the 5th round of the Fa cup .
A good cup run could  just be the thing we need , pushing up the league with no pressure would also give this team the rest of the season to Gel and improve .
Town fans are right miserable illegitimates most of the time but when they can see a team improving and giving their best they’re the greatest fans in this league .
Dare we believe ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
marinerdazza
November 28, 2018, 10:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
The similarities are not lost on me. We just got better and better that year. Had Gilbert joined a couple of months earlier, I think we'd have gone up in the 88/89 season. We weren't far off...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
RoboCod
November 28, 2018, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
That midfield was also run by an energetic, never-give-up midfield ball of energy who was also a local lad.
Bit early in Harry's career to make the Cockers comparison, but another exciting potential parallel.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
HertsGTFC
November 28, 2018, 9:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
A couple of more footballing wins on the bang and a decent 3rd round cup draw would certainly keep momentum going....

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
UTMariners
November 28, 2018, 9:22pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 6
Loving the optimism around the club at the moment. It feels like it could be the start of something special, but whether it or it isn't, I think we deserve to dream after the s**t of the past twenty years...

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
GrimRob
November 28, 2018, 10:16pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
A lot of clubs have overtaken us in the last 30 years in terms of facilities and fan base. The Bosman ruling has also made it a lot harder to hang on to decent players than it was then. 30 years ago Dembele would be still here for starters!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 15
moosey_club
November 28, 2018, 10:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
also similarily the game was played out a decrepit Blundell Park ...  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
1mickylyons
November 29, 2018, 7:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from grimps
I was thinking the same the other day , we was near the bottom until our cup run started the season Sir Alan took over .
We went onto beat Wolves who was running away with the third division , Rotherham who would end up Div 4 Champs and Middlesbrough away who was 5th in Div 1 at the time and we  nearly made the play offs after getting to the 5th round of the Fa cup .
A good cup run could  just be the thing we need , pushing up the league with no pressure would also give this team the rest of the season to Gel and improve .
Town fans are right miserable illegitimates most of the time but when they can see a team improving and giving their best they’re the greatest fans in this league .
Dare we believe ?

That same Rotherham side thumped us 0-4 at home in the League and was memorable in Town (I can`t remember but think it was 0-4 at HT) PULVERISED them for most of that game but couldn`t score and they were clapped off HT and FT and the attitude of most GY fans coming out the ground was someone is gonna cop a right hammering soon. It was a pretty bizarre reaction too be honest given the result and the Swins of the time used to write in scathing letters to the Telegraph demanding change and the following week saw plenty of letters. Those who had been and watched the game were rewarded though as the Buckley side clicked and swept all before them over the next few year`s playing a brand of football most could only ever dream of.Dare we dream history might be about to repeat itself?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
1mickylyons
November 29, 2018, 7:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
A lot of clubs have overtaken us in the last 30 years in terms of facilities and fan base. The Bosman ruling has also made it a lot harder to hang on to decent players than it was then. 30 years ago Dembele would be still here for starters!

This despite the haters is still one of the few Clubs around given the relatively small fanbase with such a partizan away following it can build momentum extremely quickly and steamroller anything it comes across. That support though small is steadfast you can`t buy it you can`t manufacture it IT`S JUST THERE. The 12th man cometh and beware all those who oppose the Black and White hordes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
moosey_club
November 29, 2018, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from 1mickylyons

This despite the haters is still one of the few Clubs around given the relatively small fanbase with such a partizan away following it can build momentum extremely quickly and steamroller anything it comes across. That support though small is steadfast you can`t buy it you can`t manufacture it IT`S JUST THERE. The 12th man cometh and beware all those who oppose the Black and White hordes.

but perversely we tend to play better when BP is empty.....get a decent size crowd in and the players crumble..

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
KingstonMariner
November 29, 2018, 6:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club

but perversely we tend to play better when BP is empty.....get a decent size crowd in and the players crumble..

It seems that way to me too. Maybe it's just that when we're on a good run, crowds rise and as all runs come to an end, a good one inevitably ends in front of a good crowd.

Cod Almighty's shrink says bigger crowds help (or rather that smaller crowds do harm): 'From a psychological perspective, we know that the fewer people watching us, the more we subconsciously reduce our effort and persistence.'

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=6932

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
1mickylyons
November 30, 2018, 6:49am
Special Brew Drinker
I always take umbrage when people have a pop at our home crowd.The home fans are no worse than anywhere else at Grimsby and it`s usually the player`s at fault for damping enthusiam with a slow start in recent year`s when the numbers have turned out. The Scunny and Hudds FA Cup games the ground was just like day`s of yore and Blundell Park once again resembled a bear pit which in turn had the player`s raise their game. Tuesday Night a fairly sparse crowd but it still got right behind the team 2nd half when the player`s went up a few gears. The support at Grimsby is fairly unique from what I have seen as in when the team plays well pretty much the whole crowd back them vocally and when they are crap it`s silent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
Davec
November 30, 2018, 9:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
If we go on a run and and show that we can win consistently then we will have no issue getting atleast 5k every home game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
Teestogreen
November 30, 2018, 7:07pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from barralad
Thirty years ago this season was Sir Alan's first season in charge of The Mariners. Anyone over 40 who regularly watched Town at that time will remember that Buckley's way of playing the game didn't meet with either instant success or universal appreciation by fans who had suffered five years of rapid decline. I vividly remember watching the team surrender meekly to a Rochdale side struggling to shake off the tag of perennial strugglers and the word consistency was never used in the same sentence as GTFC.
Then on one wet night in November something happened. A Donny side nearer the top of the Division 4 table than the bottom were put to the sword 5-0 in what was described by the Grimsby Evening Telegraph at the time as a scintillating display of attacking football. Within days runaway league leaders Wolves had been beaten in the F.A. Cup and there was a buzz around the club that saw renewed enthusiasm. Quite simply the Town had woken up to what they were seeing.
I would never risk making predictions-God knows we've had many a false dawn over the last decade or so but how great would it be if the next couple of months be of 2018/19 followed a similar pattern??

If this is the start of something good - the first half performance at Carlisle was the start i.m.o.

UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Parallels With 30 Years Ago

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.