8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Manchester Mariner
November 27, 2018, 3:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Macclesfield trying to repeat their appointment when Paul Ince managed to haul them from rock bottom to safety.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 76
marinerdazza
November 27, 2018, 3:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,844
Gold Stars: 82
Any reticence to appoint Sol has always been about his "fragile" nature. Nothing else.

And for that reason alone, people are bound to be skeptical about this news.

Could work for him - it's currently the hardest job in league football so there's absolutely no pressure.

It's quite a big could though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 76
Ipswin
November 27, 2018, 4:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

That is true but when has it ever really been an advantage? Great players rarely make great managers. In fact, if you look at many of the best managers they the drive to become coaches because their football careers had been underwhelming, either because injury (Clough, for instance) or that they simply weren't that outstanding as players.

I am simply saying, as Campbell has already been derided as management potential, that he is no less experienced than Jolley

I don't know about ex-players becoming successful managers but I bet there are more of them than there are ex-stockbroker / financial kids who succeed in football management

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 76
Northbank Mariner
November 27, 2018, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Ipswin

I am simply saying, as Campbell has already been derided as management potential, that he is no less experienced than Jolley

I don't know about ex-players becoming successful managers but I bet there are more of them than there are ex-stockbroker / financial kids who succeed in football management

Sari isn't doing to bad...
I agree with your sentiments swin but Sol Campbell lost all credibility with his stupid statement about being a brilliant footballing mind...
Good luck to him in the conference!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 76
TAGG
November 27, 2018, 4:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Maringer

Pretty basic when you look at the recent form. Of clubs around the bottom third of the table, Macclesfield have the worst record over the past 5 or 6 games and we're next in line.

You'd have to say that it's a big gamble for Macclesfield, but Campbell might just be able to wangle a few good loanees from big clubs just because of his name. Could be enough to save them. If not, it will no doubt be somebody else's fault because he apparently has one of the greatest football minds in the business. He told us so himself, so it must be true.

Really!!!
16     Grimsby     6     2     1     3     5     7     -2     7
17     Crawley     6     2     1     3     9     12     -3     7
18     Crewe Alexandra     6     2     1     3     6     11     -5     7
19     Swindon Town     6     2     1     3     3     8     -5     7
20     Yeovil Town     6     1     3     2     5     6     -1     6
21     Macclesfield     6     2     0     4     4     13     -9     6
22     Newport     6     1     2     3     8     11     -3     5
23     Exeter     6     0     4     2     5     8     -3     4
24     Notts County     6     0     3     3     5     10     -5     3

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 76
Maringer
November 27, 2018, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from TAGG

Really!!!
16     Grimsby     6     2     1     3     5     7     -2     7

OK, then. The past 5 games - which is what the BBC web site shows on the league table. That shows 4 points from 5 games. People foolish enough to put bets on teams going down at this point of the season must get their facts from the BBC.  

As for tanga's idea that Brian Clough had an underwhelming playing career, I wish we had such an underwhelming striker! He scored 251 goals in 274 league games which is just about twice as many goals as Mendonca scored in his whole career. Not a half bad record.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 76
Abdul19
November 27, 2018, 4:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,546
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Good luck to him in the conference!!!

Conference?! I bet he's gone by March!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 76
Poojah
November 27, 2018, 7:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,469
Gold Stars: 1,500
Let’s hope this thread doesn’t come back to haunt us. Like everyone else, I have no idea how good or otherwise Sol Campbell will be at football management however I will at least credit him with having the balls to take this job on.

If you fail in your first job as a football manager there tends not to be a second, and this one looks incredibly tough on paper. Deluded or not, only time will tell, but evidently he believes he can pull it off.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 76
chaos33
November 27, 2018, 8:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from Ipswin

But be does have less managerial experience than Jolley.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 76
Ipswin
November 27, 2018, 9:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from chaos33

But be does have less managerial experience than Jolley.

You're not counting Lancashire Boys League and a Subbuteo team in Sweden surely?

Anyway great start for Campbell so far one nil up at Exeter. perhaps he'll have the same lucky streak Jolley had at the end of last season and get Macc out of trouble

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One less relegation spot to worry about

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.