Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca , how long before the inevitable happens?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 313 Guests

Macca , how long before the inevitable happens?

This thread currently has 7,529 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
November 25, 2018, 7:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
How long before a bigger club comes in for James and makes us an offer we can’t refuse?

I know he’s on a relatively long deal, settled in the area and Town through and through but surely his form after coming back from injury last season must be courting interest?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
November 25, 2018, 7:33pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
Nothing less than £1.5m... Loves the club, loves the people, settled and is a decent keeper at this level. So unless we get offered a big amount we should stand our ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
chaos33
November 25, 2018, 7:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
1.5 million?! In our dreams....

Good question posed and might attract interest in January I guess. Having a great season again, and his contract situation gives us a bit of protection and a decent bargaining position should an offer come in and he wants to move. I think, in the real world we might get a few hundred K for him if that happens.
30 next summer.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
jamesgtfc
November 25, 2018, 7:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Josh Vickers at Lincoln is a great keeper but keeps getting bad leg injuries. He was out for most of last season, came back and has only just returned from a second long lay off.  Rory Watson at Scunthorpe is out for some time with a broken arm also.

If one of them two came in, he wouldn't have to move away from the area. At this level, the silly money tends to go on strikers so I don't think we would get anything near what we would hope. 4 points above the bottom 2, he is much more valuable to us than what someone would pay.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
forza ivano
November 25, 2018, 7:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
Can we try and get a little bit of balance please? James has been great for us and obviously loves where he is, BUT he's been at the div 4/5 level fo nearly ten years now and he's there for a reason. He's a great shot stopper but IMHO his failure to command his 6 yard area almost cost s dear yesterday and for that reason it's why he is where he is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
OllieGTFC
November 25, 2018, 8:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Put it this way if a club want a decent keeper or striker they will pay decent money for them, both position are hard to come by let’s face it, personally can’t see him leaving he would of gone in the summer if he was to go

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
GrimRob
November 25, 2018, 8:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Everyone has got a price. If someone is willing to pay a big fee for him and add a "0" to his weekly wage bill he'll be off. Wouldn't you if the same thing happened in your career?

We've got him on a long-term deal so we have done everything we can.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 58
Ipswin
November 25, 2018, 8:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
He's going nowhere

Firstly because I think he is happy at Grimsby Town especially as there is no competition for the spot and secondly because he his playing at his level (and he knows it) and no one, especially a higher division club (which just could interest him moneywise I suppose) is going to come in for him.

He is a good Div 4 level keeper, no more than that.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
Poojah
November 25, 2018, 8:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,489
Macca has been a fantastic servant to this club over the last 8 or so years but the fact he is still here is telling in itself.

No doubt he’s a great shot stopper, but at roughly 6ft he’s relatively short for a goalkeeper which impedes his ability to command the box. Similarly, his kicking is not brilliant and he has at least one or two horror shows in his locker per season.

I’ve absolutely no doubt he bleeds black and white and in the context of our league position we’re incredibly lucky to have him, but for the reasons above I don’t see a significant cash offer arriving anytime soon.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
chaos33
November 25, 2018, 10:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I reckon pretty much every pro keeper has 1 or 2 horror shows a season.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca , how long before the inevitable happens?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.