5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
November 24, 2018, 5:44pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Enjoyable game...once we got over the first 20 minutes or so. That opening spell was highlighted by hoofs to no-one in particular, a lack of strength in the challenge and lack of conviction in defence. Once Pringle got to grips with the game it got better and the first equaliser came from a very good move down the left with a decent finish. The decision to move Vernam out wide  proved to be excellent. Cannot let the first half go without mentioning Maccas TWO good saves. The first when he got two strong hands to a shot which looked like it was sneaking in at the near post and the second which was breath-taking (although any goalkeepers seeing the highlights tonight might be pointing to the fact that he could have dealt with the original cross) On the balance of play probably didn't deserve to be level at half time but I'd take it every time. Second half was as different again. Clifton Pringle Vernam and Hess really took the game to Northampton and their decent second goal from a free kick was slightly against the run of play. The decision to bring Cardwell on proved to be a bit of tactical genius. So pleased for the lad to react quickest to a loose ball in the six yard area. Town could have won it in the 10 minutes following the leveller but then came the Collins sending off. Looked a cert from the away end but it was a long way away. Shows maybe why he backs off so often! Last 10 or so was about preservation but Akheem (whose pace frightened Norrhampton) could have covered himself in glory for the second week running with a free header which he got too much on sending it over the bar.
Shout out to both full backs. If Foxy does go in January I think he'll be missed and Hendrie just gets better game by game.
Pretty happy tonight.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bigdog
November 24, 2018, 5:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Really poor start. Players usually go out with the last minute instruction of "Make your first touch, first tackle, first header or first pass a good one and start on the front foot". We started like we'd just got off the coach after arriving just before kick-off. It looked like it was going to be a long afternoon after 30 minutes but I ended up being fully entertained by the end of the match. Sloppy from the start, error after error, poor pass after poor pass, backing off and backing off and they inevitably score. Several more chances handed to them and we could have been 3-0 down without stringing three passes together. Just a wholesale lack of confidence. Then after Macca dives out to cut out a low dangerous cross, we break up the other end and Vernam converts a neat well-taken goal full of composure. Suddenly we have a spring in our step and Hessenthaler has a header cleared off the line and Northampton suddenly realise they've got a game on their hands. Grimsby confidence up, Northampton confidence down and suddenly the game levels out and at times tipped in our favour in the second half. We knocked it around well with combinations from Vernam, Pringle Clifton and Embleton who was MIA in the first half due to being started on the wing. The interchanging of Vernam and Embleton by Jolley seemed key as well as Collins trying to keep a high line and tighter to his forward in the second half, something he didn't first half and it caused us all sorts of problems. You can't give a player like Van Veen enough time and space to turn without getting punished. Northampton didn't really threaten at all second half and after giving away a preventable free kick, Van Veen expertly bent the ball into the bottom corner to give them probably an undeserved lead. Usually it would be game over but we kept pressing with the newly introduced forward pairing of Cardwell and A Rose and scored a deserved equaliser through Cardwell who prodded home after a goalmouth scramble. Of course it's never straightforward following Town and although I thought Collins was unlucky to be sent off, it did highlight a problem we have when he's left one and one at times. We held on, and I'm pleased to say that for the final hour of the game, i was entertained and proud of my team. Special mention to Macca for that unbelievable save just before after we equalised in the first half. Had it gone in we may have been beaten by five or six if our heads dropped. Davis looked strong at the back, Pringle looked classy on the ball, Vernam looked dangerous when running with it, Clifton was a bundle of energy, Hessenthaler a calming influence and once Embleton moved to a central position he caused them all sorts of problems. If only Akheen could have finished that header, it would have wrapped up an unexpected but fully deserved victory. We're no way near the finished article, MJ still has some problems to solve, but there's definitely green shoots of improvement to build upon. Great support yet again and roll on Tuesday night...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 41
Abdul19
November 24, 2018, 6:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Agree Bigdog but I think that save was at 1-1 (just before half time).

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 41
Bigdog
November 24, 2018, 6:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Agree Bigdog but I think that save was at 1-1 (just before half time).

Yeah you're right. Got it mixed up with the excellent save he made from a low cross before our equaliser at 1-0..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 41
pontoonlew
November 24, 2018, 6:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Pleased with the result, look at Northampton’s current form and who they’re taking points off, they’re flying at the minute.

I really think we’re a couple of good signings from clicking, it sounds like Pringle is now match sharp and all of our strikers are now contributing. Progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 41
Rodley Mariner
November 24, 2018, 6:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
I think there's still limitations in the squad but in the last few weeks we've come from behind to beat MK Dons, scored a late winner against Crawley and come from behind twice today to get a point. Seems some character and fight there now which hasn't always been the case over the past couple of years. It would be lovely to put a few results together and have a boring season of mid-table mediocrity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 41
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 24, 2018, 6:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I like teams that come strong towards the end. It shows character and that seems to be building in this side. Great result.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 41
barralad
November 24, 2018, 6:26pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Bigdog
Really poor start. Players usually go out with the last minute instruction of "Make your first touch, first tackle, first header or first pass a good one and start on the front foot". We started like we'd just got off the coach after arriving just before kick-off. It looked like it was going to be a long afternoon after 30 minutes but I ended up being fully entertained by the end of the match. Sloppy from the start, error after error, poor pass after poor pass, backing off and backing off and they inevitably score. Several more chances handed to them and we could have been 3-0 down without stringing three passes together. Just a wholesale lack of confidence. Then after Macca dives out to cut out a low dangerous cross, we break up the other end and Vernam converts a neat well-taken goal full of composure. Suddenly we have a spring in our step and Hessenthaler has a header cleared off the line and Northampton suddenly realise they've got a game on their hands. Grimsby confidence up, Northampton confidence down and suddenly the game levels out and at times tipped in our favour in the second half. We knocked it around well with combinations from Vernam, Pringle Clifton and Embleton who was MIA in the first half due to being started on the wing. The interchanging of Vernam and Embleton by Jolley seemed key as well as Collins trying to keep a high line and tighter to his forward in the second half, something he didn't first half and it caused us all sorts of problems. You can't give a player like Van Veen enough time and space to turn without getting punished. Northampton didn't really threaten at all second half and after giving away a preventable free kick, Van Veen expertly bent the ball into the bottom corner to give them probably an undeserved lead. Usually it would be game over but we kept pressing with the newly introduced forward pairing of Cardwell and A Rose and scored a deserved equaliser through Cardwell who prodded home after a goalmouth scramble. Of course it's never straightforward following Town and although I thought Collins was unlucky to be sent off, it did highlight a problem we have when he's left one and one at times. We held on, and I'm pleased to say that for the final hour of the game, i was entertained and proud of my team. Special mention to Macca for that unbelievable save just before after we equalised in the first half. Had it gone in we may have been beaten by five or six if our heads dropped. Davis looked strong at the back, Pringle looked classy on the ball, Vernam looked dangerous when running with it, Clifton was a bundle of energy, Hessenthaler a calming influence and once Embleton moved to a central position he caused them all sorts of problems. If only Akheen could have finished that header, it would have wrapped up an unexpected but fully deserved victory. We're no way near the finished article, MJ still has some problems to solve, but there's definitely green shoots of improvement to build upon. Great support yet again and roll on Tuesday night...

Good report mate.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 41
Bigdog
November 24, 2018, 6:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Good report mate.

Thank you. I think yours was better..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 41
jamesgtfc
November 24, 2018, 6:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Last season our heads seemed to drop once we conceded and we all said the same about this team a few weeks ago.

Northampton have been in great form recently. Tuesday night will be tough and we will get to see how much of a vital cog Collins is or isn't in the team.

Rose got his first goal last week, Cardwell today. I fancy sticking some money on Clifton for Tuesday...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 41
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Bus

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.