1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
November 18, 2018, 1:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,840
Gold Stars: 42

It was reported on RH last night that for the first time since 1998, we had kept 4 consecutive clean-sheets in league games at home.  (Port Vale, Exeter, Colchester and Crawley).  

For good measure we also won 1-0 away at Carlisle the week before this home run started.  

If this stat is true over 20 years then it is both commendable and a sad indictment of our NL days at home.

We have also conceded 6 fewer goals overall, home and away, than Newport who are 3rd.  (23 and 29).

We know that we have no pace in central defence, players long in the tooth, and our full-backs have been injured. The defence is also prone to making silly mistakes.

However,  the reality/perception is that despite these weaknesses and errors, we can defend well in some games and secure points/wins against the top teams. (MK Dons (twice), Lincoln, Colchester and Exeter).  We can do it but are just too poor or inconsistent against many other poorer teams. This is very frustrating.

Our midfield is set-up more to offer protection to the back 4 to get into attacking positions.

This reduces the opportunities to create good chances to score.  Our achillies heel.  If we concede first, we are likely to lose.  Often 1-0.

We need a winger and scoring striker in January.  If we can secure these players, then the generally sound defence can support the strikers to score more goals and hopefully get more wins.  Maybe Ahkeem Rose has a role to play as well?

Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
November 18, 2018, 4:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,197
Gold Stars: 224
The pressure on the defence is immense due to our lack of goal scoring...it isn't difficult to understand that should  they let a goal in that another one soon follows...that is a mental strength thing but without the "goals for" column going up then the defense are under it from the kick off... week in week out that builds and probably helps explain why every now and then we look like we fall apart.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 4
KingstonMariner
November 18, 2018, 8:27pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good point Moosey. Sure that when the front line finally clicks, we might see a rapid transformation. Just a hunch that a minor change in one area can lead to s step change in overall performance.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 4
Mallyner
November 18, 2018, 8:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Good point Moosey. Sure that when the front line finally clicks, we might see a rapid transformation. Just a hunch that a minor change in one area can lead to s step change in overall performance.

It's only a quick calculation but I believe 1 more goal in the close games would have given us 11 more points and we would be 1 point off the play offs.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 4
KingstonMariner
November 18, 2018, 8:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Small margins.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The case for the defence

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.