6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Davec
November 18, 2018, 12:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42

I never knew you need a visa to get out of Walsall.

When Rose first signed in 2016/17 season Neil Woods mentioned he had Rose on trial for Walsall but he never signed as they had already committed to signing 2 other strikers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
toontown
November 18, 2018, 2:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from joe56
A couple of weeks ago I was on here bemoaning the fact that, by and large, our shooting lacked power, and many efforts looked like nothing more than passes to the goalkeeper. After Rose’s goal yesterday, I rest my case. The ball had hit the net before the keeper even had time to think about it. I hope the lad becomes a regular starter before long. Also, though I know many would disagree, I think Pringle is a “proper” footballer whose basic skills and awareness are way ahead of most at this level. I know there are issues about his tracking back, etc, but the quality of his crosses alone make him worth his place in my opinion. If he adds to that the goalscoring ability that has shown elsewhere, then we have a lot to look forward to.

It's all about opinions isn't it - for me pringle is a liability. The fact he occasionally has it in his locker to produce a good through ball when given time and space doesnt make up for his many faults. Every time the ball comes to him if we are on a break he slows it down, turns towards his own goal, and the chance is gone. His lack of pace, slow decision making, not tracking back etc, really not impressed with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
sam gy
November 18, 2018, 2:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
You’ve gotta remember Pringle has barely played in the last few seasons. The guy has obviously got great qualities, it just might take a little longer for him to get fully up to speed.

Oh, and he’s a winger - for those saying Jolley didn’t sign any.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
grimsby pete
November 18, 2018, 3:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from sam gy
You’ve gotta remember Pringle has barely played in the last few seasons. The guy has obviously got great qualities, it just might take a little longer for him to get fully up to speed..

That might explain when he does a good forward pass he just either stands still or walks a few steps,

When he is fit he might run and give the player with the ball another option.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
ginnywings
November 18, 2018, 5:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
A few more thoughts after having a day to digest things.

I think the crowd may have been higher than expected due to there being no Prem or Championship games over the weekend. Some just maybe wanted a footy fix on Saturday?

Our left side worried me greatly yesterday, especially first half. Pringle has some good qualities, but tracking back and defending are not among them. Not yet anyway, and maybe he will improve in that regard as he gets match fit. Fox looked very rusty at times and they were having a lot of joy down their right.

Cardwell looked like a fish out of water at times and just doesn't seem to have that goalscoring instinct to me. He doesn't have the other attributes that make him valuable either, like roughing up the defenders and creating space. Again, i'm hoping this is just down to lack of experience and/or lack of game time.

Akheem Rose, as well as being fast, looks to have the thing they can't teach good goalscorers, which is anticipation of where the ball is going to be and where the gaps are in defences.

Luke Hendrie looks to be a shoe-in at right full back and we need to get him tied to a longer deal.

Clifton is a very good prospect. A long way from the finished article, but reads and sees the game well and doesn't let his head drop. Keeps on going right 'til the end, whether he's had a good, bad or indifferent game, which is why he was my MOM, despite Hendrie probably having a better all round game.

Thomas is a great signing, but he isn't prolific and we need someone else up there to share the load. We have too many "forwards" and not enough "goalscorers".

We need more pace in key areas.

We are a decent, hard working side, with better all round players than we had last year and i think we will be ok in the league as we are, but need a good January window to progress the side. Jolley will need another 2 to 3 windows i think to make us into a side to be reckoned with. Assuming he gets the time and funds to do so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2018, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
A few more thoughts after having a day to digest things.

I think the crowd may have been higher than expected due to there being no Prem or Championship games over the weekend. Some just maybe wanted a footy fix on Saturday?

Our left side worried me greatly yesterday, especially first half. Pringle has some good qualities, but tracking back and defending are not among them. Not yet anyway, and maybe he will improve in that regard as he gets match fit. Fox looked very rusty at times and they were having a lot of joy down their right.

Cardwell looked like a fish out of water at times and just doesn't seem to have that goalscoring instinct to me. He doesn't have the other attributes that make him valuable either, like roughing up the defenders and creating space. Again, i'm hoping this is just down to lack of experience and/or lack of game time.

Akheem Rose, as well as being fast, looks to have the thing they can't teach good goalscorers, which is anticipation of where the ball is going to be and where the gaps are in defences.

Luke Hendrie looks to be a shoe-in at right full back and we need to get him tied to a longer deal.

Clifton is a very good prospect. A long way from the finished article, but reads and sees the game well and doesn't let his head drop. Keeps on going right 'til the end, whether he's had a good, bad or indifferent game, which is why he was my MOM, despite Hendrie probably having a better all round game.

Thomas is a great signing, but he isn't prolific and we need someone else up there to share the load. We have too many "forwards" and not enough "goalscorers".

We need more pace in key areas.

We are a decent, hard working side, with better all round players than we had last year and i think we will be ok in the league as we are, but need a good January window to progress the side. Jolley will need another 2 to 3 windows i think to make us into a side to be reckoned with. Assuming he gets the time and funds to do so.

Agree with most of this but think that, considering his absence, Fox did pretty well yesterday - give me a half-fit Fox over Paul Dixon every day.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
AndyDarloFC
November 19, 2018, 9:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Probably one of the scrappiest games I have seen all season, but you got the 3 points & that's all that matters.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 58
moss_side_mariner
November 19, 2018, 11:58am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Is there anything more satisfying than an 86th. minute goal against a goalkeeper that has been time wasting since the 20th. minute?

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
jamesgtfc
November 19, 2018, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from moss_side_mariner
Is there anything more satisfying than an 86th. minute goal against a goalkeeper that has been time wasting since the 20th. minute?

A goal deep into the stoppage time that the time wasting has caused would be a bit more satisfying.

I'm sure my sphincter muscles would appreciate us scoring a bit later too!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.