6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
November 17, 2018, 6:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Not the best of games, made a whole lot worse by a laughably bad ref. How he came up with some of those decisions, i have no idea.

The game had 0-0 or 1-0 either way written all over it, and i feared if anyone was going to get the vital goal, it would likely be them, who were slightly less bad than we were, and for me had the games best player in their No 15. Neither side created much and defences were on top. Thought Hendrie looked excellent, and he looks a long term right back to me, so we could do with getting tied down to a longer deal. MOM for Town was our Harry, who i thought did most things well and never gives up, but no-one stood out too much, except for the clownshoe ref.

Footy is all about taking your chances and when the ball fell nicely to Akheem, he gleefully smashed it into the net, to take all the points. A game i will quickly forget, but important that we keep plugging away and getting up that table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
RoboCod
November 17, 2018, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Brief highlights. Made up for Akheem, all that frustrated waiting for clearance to play was smashed into that shot.

[url]https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11556732/grimsby-1-0-crawley[/url]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
Cloudy
November 17, 2018, 6:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
That’s was really turgid stuff. Crawley marginally the better side but frankly the game was very poor in standard and quality.
We were very slow in midfield and out fought and out thought.
How on earth did Pringle even get considered for man of the match!

Last 15 mins Clifton and Hess finally started to take the game to Crawley who were fortunate the ref was sooo bad as on other day Connolly ( number 6) could have been cautioned 5 or 6 times. A real throw back to thuggery! Have to say Crawley right back Young was impressive.

Giving Akeem more that stoppage time paid dividends, good finish after Davis headed it down.

There have been games were we deserved more than we got so I’d take the 3 points when the game looked like a nil nil.

Enjoyed the draw with Exeter, wins over Colchester and MKD but not enthused about today
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
GrimRob
November 17, 2018, 6:14pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Truly  awful game Crawley came for a draw. Surprised to see Josh Payne sat in front of their back four in the Welsh role. It's not as though our attack is that potent. The subs worked well  and you could argue that our managers tweaked the team until the goal came. It's a good thing that football is not an entertainment business cos everyone went home happy.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 58
Tangerine Chris
November 17, 2018, 6:26pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
I would rather we win ugly than lose playing good football.  Nearly fell asleep first half, bored second half until our goal

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
HertsGTFC
November 17, 2018, 6:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Poor display overall apart from the one piece of quality for the goal which was great to see from a young player who’s been very patient.

Thought Jolley got the selection wrong by starting Cardwell, nothing against him he just looks a long way from match fitness never mind sharpness, then again a win is a win and it was much needed with Cheltenham winnning too and a couple of hard games coming up.

So the ref........ absolute disgrace, not fit enough by a country mile and did nothing to keep the game flowing, thought he played to the cameras a bit and should have given Palmer a 2nd yellow for that cheap shot shove later in the game. The EFL need to develop and deliver better.

UTM!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
Bigdog
November 17, 2018, 6:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from golfer

Must have been bad-that's the shortest post you have ever written Bigdog

True golfer. Just really pleased to see a promising youngster enjoy bagging his first League goal and a late winner too. Outweighed writing about everything else that was poor today...

Let's hope there's some entertainment and better performances around the corner..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
Jarmo.Is.God
November 17, 2018, 7:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Was a ST holder from 04 until the play off winning campaign.

Then 1st baby come along, and since got to as many as possible.
No.2 is due January so made it bit more difficult.

Experienced FGR and Macclesfield so far, then went today...

Summary: we was bang average at very best.

Macca did everything asked of him, and bailed Collins out big time
Back 4 did ok, Collins was fine apart from that 1 moment, fox was below average first half, ok second

Midfield 4 was poor first half, and improved slightly second half

Vernam looked very good every time he had the ball

Cardwell won his share of headers, and dealt with a very difficult ref

Thomas looks dangerous, just didn't see enough of the ball

Woolford showed a good first touch from coming on and did well

Rose took his goal well, but showed a lack of decision making, but that will come with game time.

Most notable thing for me, was the fans
So many disgusting comments during the game

Telling fox he's excrement
Sack Collins
And moaning when we don't pass it forward

Decent crowd size, but a toxic atmosphere throughout for no reason at all

Crawley wasn't bad, and played some good football, with a few good individual players
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 17, 2018, 7:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from MuddyWaters
A win's a win but a poor game with an even worse ref.

In a sea of mediocrity, the least culpable was Luke Hendrie with honourable mentions for Andrew Fox on his return and Harry Clifton for his second half.

Agree with these brief comments but thought Davis deserves some praise because Palmer was very awkward and put himself about but Davis stuck at it and won a lot of aerial challenges.

Had we lost we would be in meltdown at how poorly we played but one moment of quality papers over those cracks. Thought we missed Mitch Rose’s physicality and Cardwell looked well off the pace so surprised at him starting. Need to work with Vernam and work out why he disappears out the game so much particularly in second half.

Poor game, poor entertainment but great result.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
Maringer
November 17, 2018, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Poor game, poor performance, but we'll take the three points.

I actually thought Clifton wasn't at his best by a long way today but kept grafting. Not sure who I'd give MOTM. Probably Davis, who defended well and it was a great knock down for the goal.

I thought their No. 28 in midfield was useful - covered every blade of grass and kept the ball moving well. Palmer poor and spent most of the game on the floor appealing for something or other.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.