Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › More news...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 294 Guests

More news...

This thread currently has 7,244 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
November 17, 2018, 12:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ivanosandwich
I'll be pleased to see Jim, I've got a 2CV to book in for a service.

I had a 2CV once and it was the first car I ever had with AC - you pulled a knob on the dashboard which opened a vent to allow fresh air in! Very unique hinged door windows as well.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
Les Brechin
November 17, 2018, 12:24pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Teesknees
On the subject of players past, there was a good interview with Tony Ford on the OS this week, I haven't seen it mentioned on here. He was talking about his career and he came acoss really well.. There was some footage of a couple of games involving Tony and the good team of that era, it showed a couple of meaty tackles, including a friendly one by Sir R Cumming, but what was noticable was the fact that the players tackled just got up and ran off, no rolling around on the floor if they'd been shot and no mass gathering around the ref trying to induce a sending off etc.
There was also some brief footage of Fred "How" Dineage interveiwing the players on the pitch after possibly beating Sheff Utd to win promotion.. that's only a guess.. there was no soundtrack.. but just thought if that type of footage still exists it would be good to see it in its entirety... it's good to reminisce to a better time!

I'm fairly sure that Fred Dineage interview was at Mansfield the game before Sheff United when we drew 0-0 to clinch promotion,

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
stuart brace was king
November 17, 2018, 5:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +145
Quoted from rancido

I had a 2CV once and it was the first car I ever had with AC - you pulled a knob on the dashboard which opened a vent to allow fresh air in! Very unique hinged door windows as well.

Haha!!! I remember those.
Had a Christmas job once at MFI Scunny and this guy used to pick me up in one.  He had this amazing knack of hitting the hinged window with his elbow, tapping his fagg and flicking the fagg ash off, all before the window swung back and clicked into place.  It was poetry in motion.
Also remember the car was effin cold in December!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
ivanosandwich
November 17, 2018, 7:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from psgmariner

I’ve passed that one on to my dad (Phillip Lumley).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
The Yard Dog
November 17, 2018, 8:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Ipswin

Heartbreaking that the great man himself Sir Matt won't be there

Spoke to his son Neil the other day, enquired about Matt, said he was doing ok, which was good to hear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 17, 2018, 8:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Teesknees
On the subject of players past, there was a good interview with Tony Ford on the OS this week, I haven't seen it mentioned on here. He was talking about his career and he came acoss really well.. There was some footage of a couple of games involving Tony and the good team of that era, it showed a couple of meaty tackles, including a friendly one by Sir R Cumming, but what was noticable was the fact that the players tackled just got up and ran off, no rolling around on the floor if they'd been shot and no mass gathering around the ref trying to induce a sending off etc.
There was also some brief footage of Fred "How" Dineage interveiwing the players on the pitch after possibly beating Sheff Utd to win promotion.. that's only a guess.. there was no soundtrack.. but just thought if that type of footage still exists it would be good to see it in its entirety... it's good to reminisce to a better time!

Tony was a bright lad and he had a great attribute, he clearly listened. I remember Tom Casey days very well from the old Barrett Stand and seeing those youngsters come into the side. John Newman was an excellent manager, often forgotten when people talk about great Town managers. He and George Kerr seemed to have the knack of knowing when to leave things alone and let the team play. There was a maturity in Kev Moore, Kev Drinkell, Tony Ford and co. and a team spirit like Fordy said that had come from being together so long. Ford and the Moore brothers came from the Wintringham team at the same time as Paul Emson who came back to Town via Derby.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
Teestogreen
November 17, 2018, 8:25pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
I can remember being in Peterborough United's Directors Box around then when Town won 3-1. Phil Hubbard finished off a 15 pass move (or thereabouts) for our 3rd goal, and I think Jim Lumby scored one of the first 2 goals. Don't think Bobby Ross was around then though, as thought he was earlier?

Also, there's 3 goalkeepers in that squad, and town were pretty devoid of money at that time (to be able to support 3 goalkeepers) - but maybe?

Quoted from Teesknees
The following players from the 72 squad will be at the match tomorrow according to the main site

Dave Boylen
Harry Wainman
Bobby Ross
Owen Simpson
Mike Czuzman
Phil Hubbard
Alan Woodward
Stuart Gray
Neil Freeman
Clive Wiggington
Ian Turner
Jim Lumley
Mike Hickman

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 17, 2018, 8:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Teestogreen
I can remember being in Peterborough United's Directors Box around then when Town won 3-1. Phil Hubbard finished off a 15 pass move (or thereabouts) for our 3rd goal, and I think Jim Lumby scored one of the first 2 goals. Don't think Bobby Ross was around then though, as thought he was earlier?

Also, there's 3 goalkeepers in that squad, and town were pretty devoid of money at that time (to be able to support 3 goalkeepers) - but maybe?

Harry W was Number One in 1971-2. The reserve keeper was a bloke called Cuff, can't remember his first name. McMenemy had Ian Turner in the team and then took him to Southampton where he had a very good career. Then Harry was back as Number One but he did miss some games and the reserve then was Neil Freeman. They more or less shared the job for a few seasons but it was mainly Harry until 1978. After that we were in the Batchy days.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
Cloudy
November 17, 2018, 9:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

Harry W was Number One in 1971-2. The reserve keeper was a bloke called Cuff, can't remember his first name. McMenemy had Ian Turner in the team and then took him to Southampton where he had a very good career. Then Harry was back as Number One but he did miss some games and the reserve then was Neil Freeman. They more or less shared the job for a few seasons but it was mainly Harry until 1978. After that we were in the Batchy days.

Pat Cuff, was only on loan ( from Middlesbrough?)in 71-72.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
Teestogreen
November 17, 2018, 9:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
I was just going to say - wasn't it Pat Cuff? Then I suddenly thought he may have been a jockey. But Cuff does ring a bell for us.

Cheers for all of that feedback.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › More news...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.