This thread currently has 2,912 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
November 15, 2018, 8:14pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
I know it's only a friendly but come on England......even though I'm having to listen to it on the radio as I haven't got SKY (national disgrace}

I believe if Spain don't win in Croatia tonight in the Nations League a win on Sunday for us would put us in the Knock out stages of the new competition.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Croxton
November 15, 2018, 8:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
If the F.A. expect me to get Sky why should I give a flying feck?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
LH
November 15, 2018, 8:49pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
HT Both goals well taken. Dominated it as expected really and maybe took longer than it should have to take the lead but they can be excused as it’s the first time many have played at this level. I’m there on Sunday so hope we’ve got a qualification to play for.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
promotion plaice
November 15, 2018, 9:12pm

OOOHHH   Rooney coming on

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
promotion plaice
November 15, 2018, 9:13pm

Latest     Croatia 2-1 Spain  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
mimma
November 16, 2018, 12:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
Watched the U21s against Italy. Really good game,  very impressed with England. We have a good crop of young players coming through. England won 2 - 1 stretching their unbeaten run to over 20 odd games.Henderson made some great saves in goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
Maringer
November 16, 2018, 7:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from promotion plaice

Latest     Croatia 2-1 Spain  

Can't bring myself to any sort of level of excitement about this 'Nations Cup' thing as I've seen perhaps 30 minutes highlights of all the games combined. I don't have Sky Sports and don't plan to get it. The fact that there has been so little discussion of any of the games on here is very telling as to how this will impact the support for the team longer term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
diehardmariner
November 16, 2018, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,073
Gold Stars: 518
In defence of the Nations League, it was an attempt to breathe new life into the previously pointless friendlies and I think it has to an extent.

Teams are treating the competition with far more respect than they ever did the friendlies.  England's win in Spain was a really good game to watch, whereas Croatia v Spain last night was brilliant from the off (I say that as a harsh critic of international football too!).

Personally I would rather we play teams in and around our level with something, even if it's relatively meaningless, to play for as opposed to just a run-out for players and maybe the odd new face getting a chance.

I'm actually looking forward to Sunday's game.  I suppose for the smaller teams who perhaps looked forward to friendlies against the likes of Spain, Germany etc. it's maybe not so great as they're now playing other relative minnows on a more regular basis.  

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
November 16, 2018, 9:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Im loving england under southgate and the nations league games adding competetiveness, actually excited for international breaks because were almost always good to watch now and theres exciting young players that you want to see how they perform in the team like jadon sancho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 16, 2018, 11:13am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer

Can't bring myself to any sort of level of excitement about this 'Nations Cup' thing as I've seen perhaps 30 minutes highlights of all the games combined. I don't have Sky Sports and don't plan to get it. The fact that there has been so little discussion of any of the games on here is very telling as to how this will impact the support for the team longer term.

It may work out OK but like you I am not excited by it. The idea seems to be to fill in the gaps between cups and put a bit of edge into what would otherwise be friendlies, but mainly to raise cash. Perhaps it will work but I am not reading much into the performances of individuals or teams. And charity friendlies against the USA are definitely never going to prove anything about anyone.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v USA

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.