This thread currently has 3,950 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
November 9, 2018, 9:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Our set-pieces are hopeless. HOPELESS. Recent weeks has seen free kicks in the oppositions half played, all the Town players looking startled as if to say 'eh? I didn't expect the ball' , panic sets in and its played back to a defender who plays it back to Macca who just wellies it anywhere.
As a kick off is a dead ball situation I guess it's almost lumped in with set pieces so it's a given these days that we'll concede within 10 seconds. Really poor stuff.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
lukeo
November 9, 2018, 4:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,366
Gold Stars: 144
For me and my team if we have first kick off I try to get the striker to play it into the cm, to cb and then a full back. Sounds silly but unless the opponents push and press quickly it's good to get as many people a touch of the ball as possible and get confidence up, if their first touch is a smash out of play or a intercourse up it'll effect their game. Whereas if they get to do a simple 5 yard pass it's more likely to have a more positive attitude from them. 50% of sports is mentality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
marinerdazza
November 9, 2018, 4:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
We should pass it straight back to Collins and then 8 run up to their area for him to launch it at them. Some German team did it and scored in ten seconds. It was all over the internet. Got to be worth a go once.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
Maringer
November 9, 2018, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from marinerdazza
We should pass it straight back to Collins and then 8 run up to their area for him to launch it at them. Some German team did it and scored in ten seconds. It was all over the internet. Got to be worth a go once.

The problem there begins when a defender wins the header back upfield and it's suddenly 8 vs 1 at the other end...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
golfer
November 9, 2018, 6:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from HertsGTFC
It’s almost as boring as the long Rose throw for Collins to flick on at the near post ......... which results in us losing possession as well.

Rose has never reached any of our players nevermind picking out Collins
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
Gaffer58
November 9, 2018, 7:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Well as all managers have to do the same course nowadays, I assume they are all shown the various statistics for each scenario hence finish up playing the predictable option. Also, are people starting to question our messiah's methods.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
fishboyUTM
November 9, 2018, 9:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from grimsby pete
Never understand why any player passes back to the keeper from the halfway line it never gets the team further up the field,

If Jolley wants us to do that from KO  he might as well take a leaf out of the rugby manual,

Kick it as near to the opponents corner post as possible at least then we have them in their own half,

PS.  I have no coaching badges but have been watching football for 65 years,

Slade did exactly that. Please don't go back to those days, we're like Brazil of '70 now compared to that dinosaur football!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
Tommy
November 10, 2018, 12:28am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Gaffer58
Well as all managers have to do the same course nowadays, I assume they are all shown the various statistics for each scenario hence finish up playing the predictable option.

Not really, hence so many different managers like their teams to play in many different ways.

Quoted from Gaffer58
Also, are people starting to question our messiah's methods.

I think people have questioned things he's done ever since he came in. That's just football, I wouldn't say it means people's support is wavering. There's so many variables in football that you'd almost always do something slightly different. Buckley is a footballing God to me but I'd still have done some things differently to him and some traits of his teams frustrated me. That's just football I think, maybe highlighted more nowadays with all the social-media and forums like this.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
toontown
November 10, 2018, 9:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
The kick off routine is infuriating, having someone with a decent pass such as collins stand a few feet away and watch our keeper (the least competent player with his feet of our team, obviously) welly it aimlessly forward. Obviously managerial instructions so no reflection on macca.
Combined with the fact that if macca makes a slip at that point it gifts a precious goal to the opposition, you should not be deliberately putting your keeper in that position at kickoff. Its basic stuff and yes a slip is unlikely but not THAT unlikely - it very nearly happened at home a few weeks ago. Its not even as if we get any advantage out of taking that risk, we get a disadvantage, maybe macca can kick it further but bloody hell other players will be more accurate which is more important.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
Maringer
November 10, 2018, 1:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Apart from anything else, if you're going to knock it upfield, much better to have somebody 20 or 30 yards further forward than the keeper kick it. Then it needs to be less of a whack and allows more placement.

Yeah, I know that it will still go straight into touch, whoever kicks it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kick Off

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.