Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Brexit

This thread currently has 77,314 views. Print
92 Pages Prev ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
May 28, 2019, 1:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
71.3 %  could not be arsed  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 420 - 918
FishOutOfWater
May 28, 2019, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,563
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete

That would also include those that cannot identify with any of the parties' policies Pete.... while apathy is arguably the main cause, many have decided enough is enough with our system and actively made a choice to not vote, which really is a sad state of affairs
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 421 - 918
grimsby pete
May 28, 2019, 3:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

That would also include those that cannot identify with any of the parties' policies Pete.... while apathy is arguably the main cause, many have decided enough is enough with our system and actively made a choice to not vote, which really is a sad state of affairs

I did not vote Tim but that was because I am still recovering from knee surgery if I had I would have voted for the Brexit party ,I think most people are just fed up with the whole thing and wants it to go away,

I am not bothered now if we leave or stay I just want it to end and a return to normality with the news programmes talking about anything but Brexit.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 422 - 918
Bawmariner
May 28, 2019, 11:31pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1
To be honest I don't think most people care about whether we leave or stay. People want us to concentrate on domestic policy. Its not surprise when were I live it takes 1 month to get a non emergency GP appointment.

I think around 20% Of the population are staunch brexiters and 20% are staunch remainers. Most of these people probably voted on Thursday which is probably why the result was pretty close. If we are going to leave we need to leave with a deal to provide as much continuity for the majority of people who don't care about brexit or even politics (MPs still represent apolitical people too. Plus the reason countries spend years trying to sign free trade agreements is because WTO rules aren't that great.

Also if we are going to leave, politicians need to be honest about how long it is going to take for the country to get back to normal. Leaving the EU is more the start of brexit than the end. Parliment then has to negotiate a new relationship with the EU and other countries  (whether we leave without a deal or not we need agreements  on issues such as air traffic and fishing waters). We also need to pass 100s of laws and spend time and money creating organisations to replace those that were devolved to the eu. The real question is are we prepared to pay for brexit with another 3 years plus of time and money?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 423 - 918
Town Monkey
May 29, 2019, 9:52am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +379
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Bawmariner
To be honest I don't think most people care about whether we leave or stay. People want us to concentrate on domestic policy. Its not surprise when were I live it takes 1 month to get a non emergency GP appointment.

I think around 20% Of the population are staunch brexiters and 20% are staunch remainers. Most of these people probably voted on Thursday which is probably why the result was pretty close. If we are going to leave we need to leave with a deal to provide as much continuity for the majority of people who don't care about brexit or even politics (MPs still represent apolitical people too. Plus the reason countries spend years trying to sign free trade agreements is because WTO rules aren't that great.

Also if we are going to leave, politicians need to be honest about how long it is going to take for the country to get back to normal. Leaving the EU is more the start of brexit than the end. Parliment then has to negotiate a new relationship with the EU and other countries  (whether we leave without a deal or not we need agreements  on issues such as air traffic and fishing waters). We also need to pass 100s of laws and spend time and money creating organisations to replace those that were devolved to the eu. The real question is are we prepared to pay for brexit with another 3 years plus of time and money?

Excellent balanced post.  I'm a staunch remainer and I had a similar discussion with a leaver friend of mine recently.  We're not going to change each others minds.  There are so many domestic issues that need to be addressed that we either need to get on and leave, preferably with a withdrawal agreement, or revoke Article 50 and get on with life.  

My fear now is that after 3 years of May being useless, a hard Brexiteer Tory leader will pursue no deal.  Therefore, our future is in the hands of 100,000 or so Tory members.  Great way to "take back control".  

Our politics is fundamentally broken.  We have a terrible government, an abysmal opposition, and a parliament that can't agree on anything.  It's this inertia more than anything else that's lead to the resurrection of people like Farage and his band of merry populists.  Ann Widdecombe is now an MEP representing me FFS!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 424 - 918
Grim74
May 29, 2019, 11:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Quoted from Town Monkey

Excellent balanced post.  I'm a staunch remainer and I had a similar discussion with a leaver friend of mine recently.  We're not going to change each others minds.  There are so many domestic issues that need to be addressed that we either need to get on and leave, preferably with a withdrawal agreement, or revoke Article 50 and get on with life.  

My fear now is that after 3 years of May being useless, a hard Brexiteer Tory leader will pursue no deal.  Therefore, our future is in the hands of 100,000 or so Tory members.  Great way to "take back control".  

Our politics is fundamentally broken.  We have a terrible government, an abysmal opposition, and a parliament that can't agree on anything.  It's this inertia more than anything else that's lead to the resurrection of people like Farage and his band of merry populists.  Ann Widdecombe is now an MEP representing me FFS!

Politics is broken but it needed breaking to fix it for the benefit of all, yes Brexit is about having our elected public servant’s making the important decisions without the interference of Brussels, taking back control and being sovereign. But it’s also responsible for the this new era of politics and the end finally of the two party system I think both sides of the divide can rejoice at this.

Take exception to your “people like Farage and populists”  it’s silly comments like this that give the left a bad name especially when Farage’s party is one of the most diverse (politically and culturally). I’ve paid my £25 membership along with over 100,000 others as I believe without the Brexit party we would be under EU rule for the rest of my life and as a proud nationalist I’d find that hard to take .

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 425 - 918
Grim74
May 29, 2019, 11:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Thing is Pete the Country was given a referendum to vote on our EU membership and over 70% turn out and this was a phenomenal number, this was supposed to be a once in a generation vote, power to the people and we had people vote for the first time ever, well 3 years later pal and you know the story the people have been betrayed simple as! they think we got it wrong, etc etc and we will probably have to do it all again until we vote the right way! is there any wonder over 70% didn’t vote?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 426 - 918
Town Monkey
May 29, 2019, 12:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +379
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Grim74

Take exception to your “people like Farage and populists”  it’s silly comments like this that give the left a bad name especially when Farage’s party is one of the most diverse (politically and culturally). I’ve paid my £25 membership along with over 100,000 others as I believe without the Brexit party we would be under EU rule for the rest of my life and as a proud nationalist I’d find that hard to take .

The left????  Is anyone left of you a "Leftie"?  I've been a Tory member and voter since I was 18.  I even went to the count at the last GE with my MP.  I should add I'm now longer a member or voter but the last few months have been politically difficult for me as I've seen the party I was a member of for so long, swing even further right.  I finally took a long hard look at myself and realised I couldn't share the same political space as the Francois and Chopes of this world.  

To my mind, it's the inability of people to see any view other than their own, and the death of subtlety and nuance that has broken our politics (the irony isn't lost on me, don't worry).  Oh and facts, I like facts, and experts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 427 - 918
Grim74
May 29, 2019, 2:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
It’s not that they’re swinging to the right or even the extreme right that’s just MSM leftie mantra you are gobbling on, the problem is that the party is stuffed full with EUrophile red Tory’s, get rid of these idiots like Rory Stewart FFS and the party can start being Conservative again and listening to the DEMOCRATIC will of the people.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 428 - 918
Limerick Mariner
May 29, 2019, 5:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,685
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Grim74
It’s not that they’re swinging to the right or even the extreme right that’s just MSM leftie mantra you are gobbling on, the problem is that the party is stuffed full with EUrophile red Tory’s, get rid of these idiots like Rory Stewart FFS and the party can start being Conservative again and listening to the DEMOCRATIC will of the English people.

Corrected for you. And not the English people who are just coming onto the electoral role at 18 either. We've all been lied to, there's no doubt about that. Brexit cannot and could never, happen in the way in the way Farage has wet dreams about, and the Union preserved at the same time. RoI and Northern Ireland didn't vote for Brexit so why should they have a border when the Good Friday Agreement says there shouldn't be a border. The only Brexit that there can be with preservation of the United Kingdom is a Norway +. For a Farage Brexit there needs to be another referendum, but this time it needs to called the English independence referendum - that wasn't on the ballot paper last time...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 429 - 918
92 Pages Prev ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.