Posh Harry
November 6, 2018, 2:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,355
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from diehardmariner
Jolley definitely said, or at least strongly alluded to the fact, that he was looking to bring in a few from Sweden in the January window.  

Which is fine, we lack quality in key areas.  I think we lack a beast of a centre-half, a natural left-back who can stay fit, some proper width, a creative/goalscoring midfielder and most importantly a pure, selfish as hell, kicks his granny out the way goalscorer.

At centre-back we've got 4 guys in covering two positions.  Whitmore has actually impressed me the last month or so and he and Collins have formed a good pairing, albeit one that lacks a bit of pace.  I know Davis is long-term injured but we're still paying a wage.  Can't really see us bringing in a fifth centre-back.  

We're paying Fox and Dixon a wage despite getting no return at the minute, be it through injury or out of favour.  We've got Hendrie contracted on loan for the rest of the season so I can't really see much flexibility to bring a 3rd natural left-back in.

Width wise I suppose this is the least urgent, definitely on paper anyway.  Jolley sees Embleton and Hooper as wide players, he isn't averse to playing Vernam out there and he's got Pringle waiting for a run in the side.  Add to that Max Wright can be brought back in at any time if needed.  He's also played Woolford out wide before.  That's six options available to him, five if you discount Vernam which still doesn't leave a lot of room for bringing someone in.

Creative/goalscoring midfield.  Again an area where we've got a host of options (Rose, Clifton, Hessenthaler, Welsh and Woolford) all vying for two places.  Rose and Clifton are a decent pairing, the best I've seen of those names listed, but they lack both creativity and the ability to get forward and either support the striker or go beyond him.    Whitehouse may well be that type of player and I think Jolley had placed a lot of his eggs in that basket in the summer.  His return will be a big boost but can we wait out until then?  If not can we get someone in who can do that job without overloading an already decent sized squad?

Up top we've got Thomas, Cook and Vernam who will all feel they should have a starting role.  Akheem Rose is chomping at the bit to start plus the forgotten Louis Robles is still around (I think!).  Harry Cardwell may also get fit at some point too.  The first three are probably decent earners whereas the second three less of a strain on the budget.  It's still six professionals vying for two, sometimes one, starting berth.  

Maybe Jolley has held back a little of his budget for new signings in the window but unless we manage to offload a few bodies we're going to have a massive squad, again.

Could be wrong but I think we currently only have Hendrie until January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › "Swedish players"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.