Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dear Mr Fenty
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 200 Guests

Dear Mr Fenty

This thread currently has 20,647 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
November 5, 2018, 10:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,689
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsbybrown

I would say the reality is that he is very thin-skinned - and this need to be right about everything (has he ever apologised for mistakes?), to be in control and to be loved is why so many have found him impossible to work with.

In terms of vanity project - someone on here described him as our own Donald Trump, I think they were alluding to Narcissism. Whilst I work sometimes with complex people, and it strikes me that his desire for Town to succeed is rather too closely linked for his own need to succeed, I've not encountered him closely enough to say.  That's for others to make a judgement on, interesting reading though:
https://www.psychologytoday.co.....personality-disorder

What I would say is that there doesn't seem room at the top for anyone else.  It's all terribly sad, I do think he loves town but experience suggests he also seems unable to work effectively with others he isn't completely in charge of.  

As he lacks the resources to bankroll the club properly he can only succeed via collaboration - so something has to change.  The best leaders are self-aware and do develop their style over time, but without this - I think we're stuck for the foreseeable.

Until then, the lack of success or even progress must be torture for him - alas, it's also torture for us.

Excellent post is that if I might say.

This is why we are between a rock and hard place. He cannot, or will not understand that he doesn't have the necessary qualities - even in financial terms let alone everything else - to run a 21st Football League club.

Like you say its torture for all concerned but he will never step down unless something desperate happens. Even another relegation wouldn't do it I don't think.    
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 208
Bigdog
November 5, 2018, 10:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from KingstonMariner
If that’s the choice Bigdog, and I don’t think for one minute it is, I’d still vote for a fan-owned club. If it’s just about doing well in the league/cup we may as well support Madrid.

I respect your opinion mate, Cloudy's and others who have similar views too, just think we need something more radical. Stadium to pay for isn't going to come cheap and getting a few more through the gate isn't going to pay for it or what's looking likely, the lack of enabling developments to fund it. I dread to think where we're going to end up if we don't move from BP or get some significant investment in the near future. Finding a benefactor might be the only realistic card we can play if we want our club to be in the Football League in two, five, ten or twenty years time. I've got a gut feeling that we're rapidly running out of time while Rome burns. If you told anyone in the nineties that we would be a non-league club in the near future you'd have got laughed at. Really bad situations seem to just appear from nowhere, but even now we're experiencing too many warning signals that we can't ignore or do we just sit on our hands as a club and pray for football fortune with how we are set up at the present? I'm not sure I can stomach much more of this eternal struggle we're in, I've completely forgotten the feeling of being excited watching Town, it's becoming a really negative, painful and stressful experience. I'd welcome a wealthy investor with open arms, and with it at least some hope of a brighter future but understand fully why many wouldn't..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 208
MuddyWaters
November 6, 2018, 6:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,237
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Bigdog

I respect your opinion mate, Cloudy's and others who have similar views too, just think we need something more radical. Stadium to pay for isn't going to come cheap and getting a few more through the gate isn't going to pay for it or what's looking likely, the lack of enabling developments to fund it. I dread to think where we're going to end up if we don't move from BP or get some significant investment in the near future. Finding a benefactor might be the only realistic card we can play if we want our club to be in the Football League in two, five, ten or twenty years time. I've got a gut feeling that we're rapidly running out of time while Rome burns. If you told anyone in the nineties that we would be a non-league club in the near future you'd have got laughed at. Really bad situations seem to just appear from nowhere, but even now we're experiencing too many warning signals that we can't ignore or do we just sit on our hands as a club and pray for football fortune with how we are set up at the present? I'm not sure I can stomach much more of this eternal struggle we're in, I've completely forgotten the feeling of being excited watching Town, it's becoming a really negative, painful and stressful experience. I'd welcome a wealthy investor with open arms, and with it at least some hope of a brighter future but understand fully why many wouldn't..

I shudder at the thought that things might again get worse but putting bits & pieces of the last couple of years together, I really worry. The re-appointment of Slade, the fans forum, the off-piste interviews, the quotes from Paul Hurst when he left - and we're left with the tenuous hope that footballing fortune may return. The promise of Championship football in 5 years - it's a million miles away.
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 208
1mickylyons
November 6, 2018, 8:07am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Cloudy
As drbell  points out, I dont see us getting a wealthty local benefactor with the best interests in the club at heart, anytime soon.
To be frank I dont think we need one (it would be nice if a rich local was prepared to bank roll the club mind ) provided we set out our stall correctly.

With open dialogue I am convinced we can make a better fist of what we have at present. No money has been put into the club for years by Mr Fenty, day to day we do ok. Our debt to JSF is historic but, rightly or wrongly, gives him total and utter control over everything to do with our football club.
By and large we 'wash our face' financially so, if we arent getting investment what do we do?

We try much more harder to increase our income. At present the club are in a rut, have been for years. I received the clubshop christmas catalogue recently. They could have changed the date and sent out the one from 2002. Nothing changes.
On the corporate side the numbers in McMenemys on a match day is dwiddling weekly. Why? Possibly because the same companies are asked to sponsor games each season, ones who have done so for years. What efforts have been made to try and get new sponsors on board, those connected to renewables for example? I arent saying we should be asking them to buy the club but get them to take a table or two for lunch, invite some of their contacts, as a bare minimum you are refreshing things and who knows what may become of such initiatives?

Then communicate with the supporters, tell us the issues we face, tell us where we sit budget wise, ask for ideas to increase the income, ask them openly to get to a game or two. Make an offer for buy 4 tickets for the price of 3 throughout Dec and Jan, market it as a Christmas gift idea, get kids in schools more involved, which school can sell the most tickets? Prize to the winning school of a full training session held with the school teams and Town players, get the girls involved more (girls section of a supporters club/an under 12's supporters club) There are enough people who love GTFC who could come up with better ideas than I. Brainstorm it, an initiative of the week prize? The one with the best scheme or idea gets free shirts/merchandise.

Income could be increased but it needs drive and enthusiasm the likes of which hasnt been near GTFC for decades

Sadly and frustratingly we all know nothing will change, the whole club is tired and repetitive, no new ideas, no communication just JF sat in his tower looking down on us all looking for the next person to blame, 'woe is me', they dont understand!

This......

The football club have a very funny attitude to selling matchday tickets in my opinion? The roughly 6500 home seats for sale each game is actually only 3500 due to STH what do they do to sell the remainder? This should be any football clubs main priority aside from what goes on actually on the pitch. Year after year we ask what they are doing and year after year we get the same old tired sh1t dished out from those who are tasked and inevitably we see little or no increase in sales it`s shameful at best. That office needs a proper root and branch clear out and some much needed enthusiasm and drive bringing in and maybe just maybe would see fresh ideas being rewarded with gates in excess of 5k home fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 208
SomeSanity
November 6, 2018, 6:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
From what I can gather, JF is not involved in the day-to-day running of GTFC and makes decisions at Board Room level.

Other clubs in our division have shown they can achieve much with no investment and I suspect JF thinks this is something we can do too. The fact is, we can. But look at the clubs with both smaller fanbases and budgets than ourselves, what did they have? Strategy and vision and that is something we sadly do not.

I use Exeter as an example, largely fan owned and a budget and fanbase not too different from us and look at what they are doing. The stuff that comes out of that club in terms of marketing and brand perception in the local community far exceeds our own. What do they do? They mix it up a bit, things are constantly evolving.

But at GTFC it's the same stuff from the same from the same people and it has largely been that way for the past near two decades. NOTHING EVER FECKING CHANGES... The club is stale.

We've had the same shirt sponsor for 14 years and the same kit supplier for what looks like forever. I don't doubt for a second the club hasn't had better offers. Young's os obviously the safe bet on sponsors but will they fork out every year?  and Errea, they brand everyone is wearing and signs extremely long-term deals with. Why? It isn't the quality, so there must be something. The club will only ever change things when it has to when they've got no other choice but to do so. We constantly get on field shake-ups of staff but things remain the same... Maybe just maybe things need to change off it. I'm not just talking JF and talking everyone who doesn't kick a ball about or coach said people.

Rant over, back to my cave.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 208
KingstonMariner
November 6, 2018, 6:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from SomeSanity
From what I can gather, JF is not involved in the day-to-day running of GTFC and makes decisions at Board Room level.

Apart from when he's fixing the lights and ceiling.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 208
jock dock tower
November 6, 2018, 7:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Thing is, we don't know who might come on board until he goes. Exeter have been quoted, similarly look at how Pompey have pulled themselves back from the abyss and are now leading Div 1. We know fine well nobody is going to come along and invest whilst JF and his benign loans are lurking behind every corner.

Who knows what local employer / entrepeneur might come along were he not there?Most fans of a certain vintage can remember the excitement generated by a team with a number of home grown products in the late 1970s, and I don't see why something like that could not be garnered again with local folk buying into the club.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 208
Badger57
November 6, 2018, 9:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Dear John,
When the intercourse are you going to intercourse off please?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 208
Marinerz93
November 6, 2018, 10:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Badger57
Dear John,
When the intercourse are you going to intercourse off please?

When his alarm tells him his time is up.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/OXoqAQl.gif[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/0St7f3n.jpg[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 208
diehardmariner
November 7, 2018, 8:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,503
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from SomeSanity

If that's the case, as the majority shareholder and therefore defacto top man at the club, he needs to hold accountable the person who is doing the day-to-day running of the club because it's simply not good enough.  Some absolutely brilliant ideas in this thread coupled with examples of just how poorly run the club is.

For what it's worth I would be amazed if he's not involved in the day-to-day running of the club.  
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 208
21 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dear Mr Fenty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.