Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dear Mr Fenty
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 281 Guests

Dear Mr Fenty

This thread currently has 20,650 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
November 5, 2018, 4:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,424
Gold Stars: 115
Drbell-a collection of good posts- a refreshing change to find somebody putting some thought into "the debate" instead of posters spitting out hate at every opportunity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 5, 2018, 4:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
We all love to speculate on the clubs fortunes and there is some great advice on here, but sadly all the sound advice in the world means absolutely nothing until the owner leaves.

I am all for giving people second and third chances to put things right, to do things differently, to try new ideas. In reality, we have to come to the conclusion that the current owner is past redemption. There is nothing anybody can say or do, bar someone buying him out way over the odds.

This is the sickening part; we know deep down that we are stuck with an owner that, sadly, doesn't have the qualities needed to run a football league club to some success.

It is a shame, but we are where we are;  a lot of fans, me included are losing the will to keep propping him up much longer, and another relegation fight or even worse will mean a crisis bigger than all the others.

We are coming to the point where the fans will have to use their collective willpower to demand change regardless of what is happening on the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 5, 2018, 4:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Cloudy

REALLY???

Yes I think Paul Hurst said that team was not good enough for league football, apart from one or two notable exceptions.
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 208
MuddyWaters
November 5, 2018, 5:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from golfer
Drbell-a collection of good posts- a refreshing change to find somebody putting some thought into "the debate" instead of posters spitting out hate at every opportunity.

Hate? Seriously?

I see frustration, disappointment and apathy but hate?
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 208
ginnywings
November 5, 2018, 5:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from drbell
Hard to argue with a lot of that Cloudy. Can see an argument for a change being good, but still needs to be a change to someone or something. I don't see a queue of volunteers, thats the issue. This would be a very different debate if we were picking between Fenty and an alternative. I maintain it has to be a change to someone/something with a high chance of being better, or at the very least no worse.

Its been great seeing MJ and the players out in the community, but no argument there is so much more that could be done. My suggestion, just get the ground full from the schools, colleges, scouts, brownies, local forces, etc . If we are going to have 3000 empty seats, get get 1000+ school kids/youths each with a family member to come for free for a couple of games. Then give them 1/2 price for a couple of games.

And for goodness sake, we are Grimsby of fish and chips fame, why aren't there fish and chip shops in each part of the ground. Who could resist the smell of decent haddock and chips as the smell wafted by.

It would really help to be be more approachable to the community and to fans willing able to help - someone on the board or employed by GTFC responding to a twitter account or a suggestions forum for example, permanently, not just a one off.

Similarly agree about the shop. I'd love to buy more stuff for me and the family, but there isn't much choice. That said, I guess its hard to offer lots of choice when there is a fairly limited market.

There were reasons given for this not being viable when the question was asked at the fans forum. I think the frying oil going off between one game and the next was one of the reasons.

The same problems are seemingly overcome for those in the posh seats in McMenemy's, who can have as much fish and chips as they want. If you can afford it of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 208
RoboCod
November 5, 2018, 6:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from golfer

Refresh the boardroom and let's start getting somewhere. That last sentence just described our current dismal board at the fans forum.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 208
KingstonMariner
November 5, 2018, 9:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ipswin

So why is every fornicator bitching and moaning that once again we have bought players on the cheap due to lack of funds and that Fenty hasn't put any money in lately

I think a huge cash investment would be a great start, we sure as hell will never raise enough money through attendances to sign anyone other than our current level of player

Not everyone Swin.  A windfall with no strings and no debt would be fantastic but not likely. Some have pleaded for judicious loosening of the purse strings.

And why should I speak for people who have s different view from me? That’s what you seem to be asking.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 208
grimsbybrown
November 5, 2018, 9:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Who is the common denominator then? 16 years a director, most of them as major shareholder and/or chairman - three relegations which could have been four, even 5. He's been so thick-skinned over anything that remotely challenges his stranglehold that further outside investment would be futile. He has put himself in a position where no-one can even be bothered to challenge him & surrounded himself with a board of crusty old nodders.

No-one is going to change anything until he gets fed up with it - his plaything, vanity project or whatever you want to call it.

I would say the reality is that he is very thin-skinned - and this need to be right about everything (has he ever apologised for mistakes?), to be in control and to be loved is why so many have found him impossible to work with.

In terms of vanity project - someone on here described him as our own Donald Trump, I think they were alluding to Narcissism. Whilst I work sometimes with complex people, and it strikes me that his desire for Town to succeed is rather too closely linked for his own need to succeed, I've not encountered him closely enough to say.  That's for others to make a judgement on, interesting reading though:
https://www.psychologytoday.co.....personality-disorder

What I would say is that there doesn't seem room at the top for anyone else.  It's all terribly sad, I do think he loves town but experience suggests he also seems unable to work effectively with others he isn't completely in charge of.  

As he lacks the resources to bankroll the club properly he can only succeed via collaboration - so something has to change.  The best leaders are self-aware and do develop their style over time, but without this - I think we're stuck for the foreseeable.

Until then, the lack of success or even progress must be torture for him - alas, it's also torture for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 208
KingstonMariner
November 5, 2018, 9:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
If that’s the choice Bigdog, and I don’t think for one minute it is, I’d still vote for a fan-owned club. If it’s just about doing well in the league/cup we may as well support Madrid.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 208
MuddyWaters
November 5, 2018, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from grimsbybrown

I would say the reality is that he is very thin-skinned - and this need to be right about everything (has he ever apologised for mistakes?), to be in control and to be loved is why so many have found him impossible to work with.

In terms of vanity project - someone on here described him as our own Donald Trump, I think they were alluding to Narcissism. Whilst I work sometimes with complex people, and it strikes me that his desire for Town to succeed is rather too closely linked for his own need to succeed, I've not encountered him closely enough to say.  That's for others to make a judgement on, interesting reading though:
https://www.psychologytoday.co.....personality-disorder

What I would say is that there doesn't seem room at the top for anyone else.  It's all terribly sad, I do think he loves town but experience suggests he also seems unable to work effectively with others he isn't completely in charge of.  

As he lacks the resources to bankroll the club properly he can only succeed via collaboration - so something has to change.  The best leaders are self-aware and do develop their style over time, but without this - I think we're stuck for the foreseeable.

Until then, the lack of success or even progress must be torture for him - alas, it's also torture for us.

Great post - I've worked with others who dogmatically refuse to share the limelight with colleagues and take even the slightest questioning very personally. As you say, it's sad that we have to suffer as much as he possibly does.
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 208
21 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dear Mr Fenty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.