4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
November 3, 2018, 5:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
You set up with a negative 5-4-1 with a side that can't create and you'll not win many games. All MJ had to do was swap Hooper for Pringle and keep the 4-4-1-1 with Vernam playing closer to Embleton. Cambridge are a very very poor one dimensional side and we just about matched them in all aspects of play. We need at least two creative players (Embleton and Vernam) on the pitch who can beat players as well as Thomas who holds the ball up well but is isolated in a formation like the one today. If not, we are too static and one dimensional in our own play and don't get enough players in the box to be a threat. Let's lay the Hooper defending prowess myth to bed after their winner today. Seriously, if you were a scout for GTFC, what positive attributes could you say about him? And those two crosses he passed to their keeper when, if he got his head up, he could have picked out an unmarked Thomas both times. He wasn't under any pressure, it was just pisss poor play at 0-0.. Drives me insane that he gets picked every week and gets defended after we scraped a couple of close fought wins. Said before our play is built upon poor foundations of only concentrating on what we do when we haven't got the ball. We can only be solid for so long if we are poor with the ball. It's like a hot potato every game unless it's at Mitch Rose, Vernam or Embleton's feet apart from today when Pringle showed glimpses of class and care with the ball.

Really bored of watching this disjointed crapp with a manager picking sides that are hell bent on only stifling the opposition. You end up losing games like this one, the one at Crewe and the ones at Stevenage and Newport. We need to be more expansive while holding onto to the hardworking attributes we have developed without the ball. MJ has got to find the right blend and the right line up soon or else we could be seriously in trouble. Can't see us getting owt at Mansfield and so the rot will set in again. Everyone's on about lack of goalscorers, I think we need more goal creators on the pitch who'll provide more composure, creativity and inventiveness on the ball before moaning about who can put the chances away.. If a team can't create clear cut or half chances, a forward can't score them..
Logged Offline
Private Message
buckstown
November 3, 2018, 5:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,119
Gold Stars: 77
what a great post Bigdog, well said
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
grimsby pete
November 3, 2018, 6:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
The same old story played well in parts but no real threat,

Cambridge were not any better and a draw would have been a fair result,

BUT

If you do not score you will not win any games or even draw them,

We need a target man who could play Thomas in to score a few goals,

I felt sorry for him as he is so isolated with very little support,

I do not expect we will get anything from Mansfield on Tuesday so the league table is starting to look scary again.

We need 2 or 3 players in come January otherwise its going to be a long season.

PS  I was sat with the Cambridge fans who had given me a free ticket and they agreed that they were a bit lucky to win.

Ah Well l!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
forza ivano
November 3, 2018, 6:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,139
Gold Stars: 265
Was ruminating on the way home what to say and big dog has summed it up. No doubt mj will moan about the decisions but if you only create 1 decent chance (and that wasn't until the 80th minute) you ain't going to get much. The players don't lack effort, they just aren't good enough. So many mistakes when they weren't even under any pressure.
Cambridge were marginally the better side after they stepped it up in the second half.and there was only one team trying to win it. Have to say the first half was an abysmal attempt at football from both sides.They had a useful, handful of a lump up front who caused probless, held the ball up well and always had a couple of options as to who to lay it off too.
Us? Poor old Thomas had 2 great big lumps who he struggled against, especially against the aimless hoofs we kept sending up. When he did hold the ball up there were no options and he's waiting and almost pleading for a team mate to get within 10-20 yards of him.
They had 2 quick tricky wingers, one of whom made Hendrie look a complete numpty. We on the other hand wouldn't know pace if it slapped us round the face.
The annoying thing is they looked like they might not be very good at the back but we never got the opportunity to find out.
Going on from that but sorry, what is the point of hooper? He just stands there and achieves nothing. He just doesn't seem to have a clue as to what runs to make.several times his team mates were telling him where to go for a pass. I felt Pringle was disappointing , hoped for far more quality especially with the set pieces.
Half the time there seems to be very little understanding or cohesion between any of them. The 2 hooper low crosses to the near post when Thomas and a.n. Other were waiting for a cut back or deeper crosses were good examples.
Another time what more looked up, saw there was an area on the rhs with absolutely no town players in that quarter. What does he do? Lumps the ball right into that quarter where the 2 or 3 Cambridge players said thanks very much and we are back defending.
I thought Stevenage and morecambe performances were bad, but they were okayish teams, but Cambridge looked just as poor as us yet we never ever looked like winning it.
I don't know where we go from here I just hope we aren't in too much trouble by January so he can get some new faces in.
It just isn't good enough Michael I'm sorry to say
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
HertsGTFC
November 3, 2018, 8:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,635
Gold Stars: 217
If I was a Town player (Macca apart) or part of the coaching staff I think I'd be embarrassed tonight to be honest. We had enough of the ball in the right areas and got in behind them enough times to at least make their keeper work but no we just squandered anything that looked like an opportunity with a mix of poor decision making, poor technique or just plan stupidity.

Lots of things today where poor from the lack of movement at throw in's to the inability to move the ball forward at pace when it counts most in your opponents half. We looked like we where not sure who's job it was to run into which area of space and who was meant to be linking up with who, the lack of venom in attack was embarrassing.

All that said though to be fair Cambridge went much better in reality the only difference is that they did not surrender to what in essence felt like a soft goal and a draw would have been a fair result. Once again I thought Jolley got his subs wrong as after about 70 mins if we had added the pace of Verman running at their number 5 who was a complete donkey we might have just snatched it.

Overall we lacked quality right throughout the team today, indeed that lack of quality is a  reflection of the club from top to bottom, it needs to get better quickly. Special mention to "the 12th man" as our fans really got behind the side in the 2nd half but the players failed to respond.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
Croxton
November 3, 2018, 8:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Bigdog and Forza sum it up well. Sorry, Hagrid but for Vernam not to play any part today was mystifying.
We had no one who could attack down both flanks like their no. 19.

Thanks to Histon Mariner for organising pre match refreshments. The dedication of Town fans continues to amaze.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
MuddyWaters
November 3, 2018, 9:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Well, we'll see where this goes. Vernam clearly scapegoated for his mistake at Crewe, what happens to Hooper after his today.

To be honest, I'm willing Wes Thomas to be good but on several occasions (notably when Embleton was attacking their back line) his off the ball movement was non-existent. The game (at 0-0) was crying out for Vernam but once again Hess & then Cook get preferred.

Just so disappointed that a team that can hold their own against Exeter & Colchester can be so tame against such a poor Cambridge side.

Special mention for the ref who, in a game where both teams were sh1t managed to outshit them.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
Flying Mariner
November 3, 2018, 9:08pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +55
Gold Stars: 1
Bigdog sums it up perfectly.
You have to create chances for the strikers.
How we miss a top two, the likes of Woods creating for Mendonca and Jones creating for Reddy.
However you also have to look at the midfield.
Yes our strikers are struggling (being polite) but how many midfielders have chipped in with goals this season?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
headingly_mariner
November 3, 2018, 9:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Set up not to lose. They were shite and had we set up to have a go at them like we’ve done in recent home games we might have had more joy.
Vernam needs to play as he’s the only one with a bit of pace and he gets us out.

May as well go places and actually try to win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
chaos33
November 3, 2018, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Well, we'll see where this goes. Vernam clearly scapegoated for his mistake at Crewe, what happens to Hooper after his today.

To be honest, I'm willing Wes Thomas to be good but on several occasions (notably when Embleton was attacking their back line) his off the ball movement was non-existent. The game (at 0-0) was crying out for Vernam but once again Hess & then Cook get preferred.

Just so disappointed that a team that can hold their own against Exeter & Colchester can be so tame against such a poor Cambridge side.

Special mention for the ref who, in a game where both teams were sh1t managed to outshit them.

I'm liking the new verb 'outshit', and wondered if you minded me using it too? Can see many and frequent uses for it....

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
Hagrid
November 3, 2018, 9:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Quoted from Croxton
Bigdog and Forza sum it up well. Sorry, Hagrid but for Vernam not to play any part today was mystifying.
We had no one who could attack down both flanks like their no. 19.

Thanks to Histon Mariner for organising pre match refreshments. The dedication of Town fans continues to amaze.

Dont have to apologise to me mate. Im as drunk off as you are at whats going on. Sick of us going nackwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
MuddyWaters
November 3, 2018, 9:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

I'm liking the new verb 'outshit', and wondered if you minded me using it too? Can see many and frequent uses for it....

Thank you - 'to outshit verb.' I'll apply to get it in the OED.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
chaos33
November 3, 2018, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I can feel it might crop up again Tuesday night

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
GrimRob
November 3, 2018, 9:47pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
It was a miracle we weren't 1-0 down in the first minute. They had the best chances and Macca may a worldy to tip the ball over when it was 0-0. Ironically they scored when we were on top but apart from Embleton, we didn't really look like scoring and even he gave up on the idea of passing to his teammates as he knows they'll miss more often than not. It looks like we have to keep a clean sheet to stand a decent chance of getting anything from a game.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 36
Maringer
November 3, 2018, 10:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Hagrid

Sick of us going nackwards

Is that another way of saying it's going to the bollox.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
HertsGTFC
November 3, 2018, 10:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
On reflection the highlight of today was the bloke on the turnstiles who let my lad in for the U18 price after I'd told him that he was 19 (which he is) but "if he'd have shaved this morning he'd have looked 17".

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
grimsby pete
November 3, 2018, 10:52pm

Exile
We are not very good but we are not that bad,

All we need is 2 or 3 players to change things round,

Its down to Fenty to open the purse strings to get those players in,

If he doesn't I fear the worse.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
GrimRob
November 3, 2018, 10:57pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Quoted from grimsby pete
We are not very good but we are not that bad,

All we need is 2 or 3 players to change things round,

Its down to Fenty to open the purse strings to get those players in,

If he doesn't I fear the worse.

The thing is Pete most teams are probably 2 or 3 players from being a really competitive top side.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 36
grimsby pete
November 3, 2018, 11:11pm

Exile
Quoted from GrimRob

The thing is Pete most teams are probably 2 or 3 players from being a really competitive top side.

At the moment Rob I would be happy to be a mid table side.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
forza ivano
November 4, 2018, 12:01am

Exile
Listened to mj who claimed we were threatening and created chances.
Now the easy response to that is bollox, you were watching a different game, but can anyone help me out. As far as I can remember forde pulled off one excellent save from embleton after 80 mins. He comfortably saved 2 powder puff shots straight at him and Thomas put a shot over in the first half which went out the ground and couldn't have gone any higher if he'd tried. Hooper had one run and side footed curler which went miles wide n high. Have I missed anything? Is that really threatening , compared to their goal, numerous shots one that was feared off the line and 2 excellent mckeown saves?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
grimsby pete
November 4, 2018, 12:06am

Exile
Quoted from forza ivano
Now the easy response to that is bollox, you were watching a different game, but can anyone help me out. As far as I can remember forde pulled off one excellent save from embleton after 80 mins. He comfortably saved 2 powder puff shots straight at him and Thomas put a shot over in the first half which went out the ground and couldn't have gone any higher if he'd tried. Hooper had one run and side footed curler which went miles wide n high. Have I missed anything? Is that really threatening , compared to their goal, numerous shots one that was feared off the line and 2 excellent mckeown saves?

That's about right mate.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
Abdul19
November 4, 2018, 6:57am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Agreed although I'd describe Forde's save as fairly standard, rather than excellent.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
MuddyWaters
November 4, 2018, 8:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

It's not bollox but it is a bit rose-tinted specs stuff - it would be fair to say we got in some decent positions and our final ball was poor but that might involve mentioning he who should not be singled out.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
diehardmariner
November 4, 2018, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 518
Very disappointing display.

Didn't get the change in system. It wasn't the system that coat us at Crewe, it was playing a striker on the left wing and him not tracking back.

Ironically today it was another guy on the left wing who copulated up and cost us for the only goal.  I don't like to see any player singled out and it seems we must have a scapegoat, but Hooper was shocking today.  If he works hard, I'd hate to see him when he's not trying. Absolutely mastered the art of hiding behind defenders so he doesn't have to show for the ball.  End product on those crosses at the end was so poor.  

Was keen to see Pringle but didn't think he did anything to suggest he's played at a higher level, but what can we expect from a guy who's barely played since he got here?

Had Hooper found someone with his crosses or had Hall-Johnson stayed on his feet rather than chucking himself to the floor (twice) it could have been a different story.

We were the better of two poor sides but with no bite whereas they took their one chance.

Need to revert back to 4-4-2, stop hitting it long and hope we can hang on until we can sign some quality in the January window. Otherwise it could be a long old season.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
denni266
November 4, 2018, 9:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +635
Gold Stars: 129
We wont get a decent striker in jan,, we will more likely get a fingers crossed and hope for the best striker, Because Fenty will not pay the going rate for one ,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
Posh Harry
November 4, 2018, 10:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
As usual it’s all about opinions some of which I have agreed with some which I don’t.

Firstly the negatives. I thought Thomas was poor today. First time I have seen him live and I am sure he is a better player than that. I get that he was feeding off scraps but when the ball did get to him it didn’t stick and should have made more movement. Hooper, well I am not going to get on the bandwagon but clearly things didn’t go well for him today (I haven’t seen him as much of many of you so just going on what I saw today). Overall I think he did ok defensively (someone called out Hendrie being made to look like a numpty but think they were watching a different game to me). Saying that, Initially from the other end of the pitch it looked like Hooper was fouled for the goal but highlights show it was a weak effort. Going forward, again he did well to put himself in positions to supply the crosses on 2 obvious  occasions. He was wanting someone to make the run to the near post, they made the opposite. On another day he would have been a hero by supplying to crosses for goals and we would have kept a clean sheet. Fine margins as these things often tend to be. I don’t buy the fact that he wasn’t working hard. I don’t think his running style etc helps. But that is just my opinion.

Obvious other negative is that although we got in good positions, we didn’t create anything clear cut and so obviously you are going to struggle to score goals.

Positives. My god we are a better team than the one I saw at Cambridge last year. For those who were at both games, you will know what I mean.

M.J. some people saying he got subs wrong. I don’t agree (although Vernam instead of cook might of been better). Whitemore was injured so no choice there. Cambridge were the better team in the first half, but only just. It wasn’t a terrible half, but not great either. They had the better of the chances and mainly controlled the middle of the park with Rose and Clifton working hard but not getting much out of the game. At the beginning of the second half this got even worse with their number 6 having more and more room and having more of an influence. Bringing off Pringle (who worked hard with little impact) and bringing on Hessenthaler was a great tactical sub imo. It allowed us to take control of the midfield and we soon became the much better team, playing on the front foot. Freed up Rose who was excellent second half, and both him and Hessenthaler got forward more and more and we looked dangerous although obviously not having the clinical finish needed at any level of football.

Thought RHJ did well down the right which is where our main threat came from in the second half (including Hooper) and also Embleton worked his socks off and when he ran at them it frightened the life out of them, but just couldn’t finish it off. Don’t think either penalty shouts were penalties. I was right in line with the second one and don’t think it was a blatant dive. He was touched (same as the first one) but not enough to warrant a penalty I don’t think. Footballers nowadays go down when touched inside the box. Whether that’s right or not is a different arguement (it’s not right imo and idiots like Shearer saying it is should be ashamed of themselves) but that’s what happens in the modern game.

A few of the usual WUM’s and doom merchants have been on as usual after a defeat, but guess what, it was a game of football where both teams were in it and either could have feasibly won the game. That’s why we’re in the same league. Reports of earlier games indicate similar, Crewe, Colchester, Exeter, all recent, and all could have gone either way. I think we have got enough not to be in the position we were last year, but also can’t see more than mid table at best. Jolley has had one transfer window, we were willing to spend money in the last one, so there has to be the possibility of bringing in reinforcements going forward.

Gutted to lose a game were a draw would have been a fairer result, but that’s football.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
MuddyWaters
November 4, 2018, 10:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry
As usual it’s all about opinions some of which I have agreed with some which I don’t.

Positives. My god we are a better team than the one I saw at Cambridge last year. For those who were at both games, you will know what I mean.

A few of the usual WUM’s and doom merchants have been on as usual after a defeat, but guess what, it was a game of football where both teams were in it and either could have feasibly won the game. That’s why we’re in the same league. Reports of earlier games indicate similar, Crewe, Colchester, Exeter, all recent, and all could have gone either way. I think we have got enough not to be in the position we were last year, but also can’t see more than mid table at best. Jolley has had one transfer window, we were willing to spend money in the last one, so there has to be the possibility of bringing in reinforcements going forward.

Gutted to lose a game were a draw would have been a fairer result, but that’s football.

UTFM

Regarding doom merchants, perhaps some of us saw the games highlighted and can't work out how we can be so poor after the performances against teams who were significantly better than Cambridge. Yes, a draw would have been fair but if we had performed like we did against Colchester and Exeter then Cambridge were there for the taking.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
Posh Harry
November 4, 2018, 10:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Regarding doom merchants, perhaps some of us saw the games highlighted and can't work out how we can be so poor after the performances against teams who were significantly better than Cambridge. Yes, a draw would have been fair but if we had performed like we did against Colchester and Exeter then Cambridge were there for the taking.

Not denying it TOC which is why I stated I was only going by what I saw yesterday. I also wasn’t picking you out as a doom merchant (if that is what you were thinking). I was just pointing out that it was game that could of gone either way. Win and they are hero’s, lose and some people are calling out M.J. and the players for this that and the other. It is a game we could of easily won, we didn’t. It’s football. It happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
HertsGTFC
November 4, 2018, 10:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

Firstly the negatives. I thought Thomas was poor today. First time I have seen him live and I am sure he is a better player than that. I get that he was feeding off scraps but when the ball did get to him it didn’t stick and should have made more movement. Hooper, well I am not going to get on the bandwagon but clearly things didn’t go well for him today (I haven’t seen him as much of many of you so just going on what I saw today). Overall I think he did ok defensively (someone called out Hendrie being made to look like a numpty but think they were watching a different game to me). Saying that, Initially from the other end of the pitch it looked like Hooper was fouled for the goal but highlights show it was a weak effort. Going forward, again he did well to put himself in positions to supply the crosses on 2 obvious  occasions. He was wanting someone to make the run to the near post, they made the opposite. On another day he would have been a hero by supplying to crosses for goals and we would have kept a clean sheet. Fine margins as these things often tend to be. I don’t buy the fact that he wasn’t working hard. I don’t think his running style etc helps. But that is just my opinion.

Obvious other negative is that although we got in good positions, we didn’t create anything clear cut and so obviously you are going to struggle to score goals.

M.J. some people saying he got subs wrong. I don’t agree (although Vernam instead of cook might of been better). Whitemore was injured so no choice there. Cambridge were the better team in the first half, but only just. It wasn’t a terrible half, but not great either. They had the better of the chances and mainly controlled the middle of the park with Rose and Clifton working hard but not getting much out of the game. At the beginning of the second half this got even worse with their number 6 having more and more room and having more of an influence. Bringing off Pringle (who worked hard with little impact) and bringing on Hessenthaler was a great tactical sub imo. It allowed us to take control of the midfield and we soon became the much better team, playing on the front foot. Freed up Rose who was excellent second half, and both him and Hessenthaler got forward more and more and we looked dangerous although obviously not having the clinical finish needed at any level of football.

Thought RHJ did well down the right which is where our main threat came from in the second half (including Hooper) and also Embleton worked his socks off and when he ran at them it frightened the life out of them, but just couldn’t finish it off. Don’t think either penalty shouts were penalties. I was right in line with the second one and don’t think it was a blatant dive. He was touched (same as the first one) but not enough to warrant a penalty I don’t think. Footballers nowadays go down when touched inside the box. Whether that’s right or not is a different arguement (it’s not right imo and idiots like Shearer saying it is should be ashamed of themselves) but that’s what happens in the modern game.

UTFM

Good post but the reality is that we are pretty much where we where in the 2nd half of last season 21st in the league with 15 points a 3rd of the way through this term. Yes we have 4 point cushion over Cheltenham but that could disappear within a week and we could be in one of the two relegation places. The drop is a reality unless we show more care and thought in the final 3rd of the pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
MuddyWaters
November 4, 2018, 11:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

Not denying it TOC which is why I stated I was only going by what I saw yesterday. I also wasn’t picking you out as a doom merchant (if that is what you were thinking). I was just pointing out that it was game that could of gone either way. Win and they are hero’s, lose and some people are calling out M.J. and the players for this that and the other. It is a game we could of easily won, we didn’t. It’s football. It happens.

Fair enough - it's the inconsistency that is so frustrating. The only consistent is our inability to create & score. Our main threat yesterday was Embleton who could be gone in January.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
KingstonMariner
November 4, 2018, 12:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Posh Harry

UTFM

Agree with most of that. Except I'd be more critical of Hooper. No one is completely bad all the time, but he does stand out as being a non-performer in the main in my eyes.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
forza ivano
November 4, 2018, 1:46pm

Exile
The following is a great example of what annoys/ perplexes me about hooper.
2 or 3 times in the second half Thomas ended up on hoppers side with the ball. Hooper had obviously been told that when this happens your job is to assume the centre forwards position. This he did by making the same arcing run to assume the same position, but I never got the impression he was sprinting full pelt to get into position it LOOKED like it was at 80% .now that may be misleading and he is giving it his all but having coached athletes I don't get that impression with him.it also looked like the whole thing was done by rote. I.e. Uhhh wes is over with me, right so the boss says I have to run into the middle, ok I'll start running now to the same position, even if the centre half is already occupying that areas. I.e. There's no imagination or footballing intelligence he just does it coz that's what he's been told to do.theres no darting little runs or no inventiveness, he looks like he doesn't really know what he should be doing.
And yet he scores those belters at fgr. Frustrating, very frustrating
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
grimsby pete
November 4, 2018, 2:27pm

Exile
Agree with most of what you have said Ivano

BUT

Should a professional footballer who is trying to score a goal have to be told where to run ?

Thats our problem apart from Thomas who gets little support every week we do not have one on the books. who knows where the goal is,

If  A Rose is not ready yet we just need a John Lewis type to hold the ball up and play Thomas in,

That would not cost as much money as buying a 20+ goal striker not that there is any chance of us splashing out £100,000+ for one.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
jonnyboy82
November 4, 2018, 3:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Just so bored being a town fan atm , yes we aren't losing every game like we did with slade and jolley is a likeable man but my god its frustrating and hard to watch.

Its like we are on a path to nowere as a club atm ,the whole stadium thing right now is a joke and i get the feeling that we are just destined for absolutely nowt under the should i say lack of guidance and ambition from the top.

Now i must say the manager isnt making things any easier right now , its his signings his team and i cant see any real sense of a team capable of doing anything other than flirting with the bottom half of the table , he doesn't get a free pass for me as he has had his honeymoon period, nice chap but results are so inconsistent that he has to show is he can deliver on the pitch.

Just so bewildered about whats going on from top to bottom right now.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
Croxton
November 4, 2018, 9:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Check out the videos of Cambridge's Reggie Lamb playing for Carlisle last year. He has great touch, change of pace and scores a variety of goals from a range of positions. Lots of L2 experience and versatility. He gave our defence the runaround for 70 min. yesterday.  For some reason he chose debt ridden Cambridge. He was in Sweden around 2015. Was he on the radar?
Hooper is 2 years younger and one of too many 'developing' players. Lambe is naturally gifted and younger than Woolford. He may be a journeyman but as an off the shelf option he looked very accomplished at this level. Our mix is not right. We need at least two players who are confident and 'good to go'.

Meanwhile........... play Vernam.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
Helgy
November 5, 2018, 8:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Cambridge no6 midfielder who sits in front of their back 4 was excellent for them every time I have seen him play.
He demands the ball all the time and once Cambridge get going all their play comes from him moving the ball around.
There are not a bad side.

On Saturday Cooper messed up their full backs were causing havoc and their goal came from the full backs cross.
Cooper told them at half time to concentrate on defensive duties and stop pushing forward and the team needed to play narrower.

Then he gave the players a massive rollocking after the game when it was his tactics,they would have scored again if the full backs had kept pushing on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
AussieMariner
November 5, 2018, 9:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Quoted from Posh Harry

UTFM

Thanks PH for a very balanced post. I particularly agree with the point that many of the recent games could have gone either way, including those that we won. I’ve been to six games recently which I think is enough to form a considered opinion:
Stevenage away - overall dissapointing, some signs of good play, we were pressing them towards the end and looked more like the home team with them looking dangerous on the break. Draw would have been fair.
Morecambe home - not convincing even when we were ahead and simply folded defensively. Apparently this had been a common theme in previous games. Thankfully this is a problem that seems to have been addressed. Probably didn’t deserve much out of the game, but if Thomas’s effort ad gone in instead of hitting the bar we’d have been 2-0 with our tails up, so again could have gone either way.
Missed Carlisle away due to family commitments, can’t really comment on the highlights but it looked like a hard earned win against the odds.
Port Vale home - a much better more confident performance with some very nice football played, but if their defender hadn’t played that sloppy back pass to let Thomas in in the 1st minute I suspect it could have been a very different story.
Exeter home - a very good game against 2 evenly matched teams both playing good football but negating each other with well organised defence. Draw a fair result, and very encouraging against one of the top teams.
Colchester home - again a tight game and for once we got the all important break. I thought we deserved the win if only for the quality of the goal that I’ve taken great pleasure in showing to many friends, acquaintances and even complete strangers, just to prove that I’m not completely mad being a Town supporter but probably achieving the exact opposite effect.
Missed Crewe away due to drinking commitments.
Cambridge away - completely agree with PH. Unluck to lose, and I also agree with MJ’s comments re the ref influencing the outcome. Most of their dangerous moments came from dodgy free kicks awarded in very dangerous positions and although it looks as if Hooper wasn’t fouled for their goal, I’m pretty sure that based on the evidence of other decisions, if the same thing happened at the other end it would have been a free kick to the defender,
So on balance, I’m fairly happy with the way were progressing apart from the obvious lack of ability to convert (I don’t think we’re the only team in the league with this problem). I’m enjoying some of the football we’re playing and I think we have enough quality in both the team and the management team to stay up, keep building and go into next season with a side that’s right in the mix for promotion.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.