grimsby pete
November 4, 2018, 12:06am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from forza ivano
Listened to mj who claimed we were threatening and created chances.
Now the easy response to that is bollox, you were watching a different game, but can anyone help me out. As far as I can remember forde pulled off one excellent save from embleton after 80 mins. He comfortably saved 2 powder puff shots straight at him and Thomas put a shot over in the first half which went out the ground and couldn't have gone any higher if he'd tried. Hooper had one run and side footed curler which went miles wide n high. Have I missed anything? Is that really threatening , compared to their goal, numerous shots one that was feared off the line and 2 excellent mckeown saves?

That's about right mate.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
Abdul19
November 4, 2018, 6:57am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,528
Gold Stars: 215
Agreed although I'd describe Forde's save as fairly standard, rather than excellent.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
MuddyWaters
November 4, 2018, 8:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from forza ivano
Listened to mj who claimed we were threatening and created chances.
Now the easy response to that is bollox, you were watching a different game, but can anyone help me out. As far as I can remember forde pulled off one excellent save from embleton after 80 mins. He comfortably saved 2 powder puff shots straight at him and Thomas put a shot over in the first half which went out the ground and couldn't have gone any higher if he'd tried. Hooper had one run and side footed curler which went miles wide n high. Have I missed anything? Is that really threatening , compared to their goal, numerous shots one that was feared off the line and 2 excellent mckeown saves?

It's not bollox but it is a bit rose-tinted specs stuff - it would be fair to say we got in some decent positions and our final ball was poor but that might involve mentioning he who should not be singled out.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
diehardmariner
November 4, 2018, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,505
Gold Stars: 536
Very disappointing display.

Didn't get the change in system. It wasn't the system that coat us at Crewe, it was playing a striker on the left wing and him not tracking back.

Ironically today it was another guy on the left wing who copulated up and cost us for the only goal.  I don't like to see any player singled out and it seems we must have a scapegoat, but Hooper was shocking today.  If he works hard, I'd hate to see him when he's not trying. Absolutely mastered the art of hiding behind defenders so he doesn't have to show for the ball.  End product on those crosses at the end was so poor.  

Was keen to see Pringle but didn't think he did anything to suggest he's played at a higher level, but what can we expect from a guy who's barely played since he got here?

Had Hooper found someone with his crosses or had Hall-Johnson stayed on his feet rather than chucking himself to the floor (twice) it could have been a different story.

We were the better of two poor sides but with no bite whereas they took their one chance.

Need to revert back to 4-4-2, stop hitting it long and hope we can hang on until we can sign some quality in the January window. Otherwise it could be a long old season.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
denni266
November 4, 2018, 9:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +698
Gold Stars: 132
We wont get a decent striker in jan,, we will more likely get a fingers crossed and hope for the best striker, Because Fenty will not pay the going rate for one ,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
Posh Harry
November 4, 2018, 10:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,350
Gold Stars: 35
As usual it’s all about opinions some of which I have agreed with some which I don’t.

Firstly the negatives. I thought Thomas was poor today. First time I have seen him live and I am sure he is a better player than that. I get that he was feeding off scraps but when the ball did get to him it didn’t stick and should have made more movement. Hooper, well I am not going to get on the bandwagon but clearly things didn’t go well for him today (I haven’t seen him as much of many of you so just going on what I saw today). Overall I think he did ok defensively (someone called out Hendrie being made to look like a numpty but think they were watching a different game to me). Saying that, Initially from the other end of the pitch it looked like Hooper was fouled for the goal but highlights show it was a weak effort. Going forward, again he did well to put himself in positions to supply the crosses on 2 obvious  occasions. He was wanting someone to make the run to the near post, they made the opposite. On another day he would have been a hero by supplying to crosses for goals and we would have kept a clean sheet. Fine margins as these things often tend to be. I don’t buy the fact that he wasn’t working hard. I don’t think his running style etc helps. But that is just my opinion.

Obvious other negative is that although we got in good positions, we didn’t create anything clear cut and so obviously you are going to struggle to score goals.

Positives. My god we are a better team than the one I saw at Cambridge last year. For those who were at both games, you will know what I mean.

M.J. some people saying he got subs wrong. I don’t agree (although Vernam instead of cook might of been better). Whitemore was injured so no choice there. Cambridge were the better team in the first half, but only just. It wasn’t a terrible half, but not great either. They had the better of the chances and mainly controlled the middle of the park with Rose and Clifton working hard but not getting much out of the game. At the beginning of the second half this got even worse with their number 6 having more and more room and having more of an influence. Bringing off Pringle (who worked hard with little impact) and bringing on Hessenthaler was a great tactical sub imo. It allowed us to take control of the midfield and we soon became the much better team, playing on the front foot. Freed up Rose who was excellent second half, and both him and Hessenthaler got forward more and more and we looked dangerous although obviously not having the clinical finish needed at any level of football.

Thought RHJ did well down the right which is where our main threat came from in the second half (including Hooper) and also Embleton worked his socks off and when he ran at them it frightened the life out of them, but just couldn’t finish it off. Don’t think either penalty shouts were penalties. I was right in line with the second one and don’t think it was a blatant dive. He was touched (same as the first one) but not enough to warrant a penalty I don’t think. Footballers nowadays go down when touched inside the box. Whether that’s right or not is a different arguement (it’s not right imo and idiots like Shearer saying it is should be ashamed of themselves) but that’s what happens in the modern game.

A few of the usual WUM’s and doom merchants have been on as usual after a defeat, but guess what, it was a game of football where both teams were in it and either could have feasibly won the game. That’s why we’re in the same league. Reports of earlier games indicate similar, Crewe, Colchester, Exeter, all recent, and all could have gone either way. I think we have got enough not to be in the position we were last year, but also can’t see more than mid table at best. Jolley has had one transfer window, we were willing to spend money in the last one, so there has to be the possibility of bringing in reinforcements going forward.

Gutted to lose a game were a draw would have been a fairer result, but that’s football.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
MuddyWaters
November 4, 2018, 10:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry
As usual it’s all about opinions some of which I have agreed with some which I don’t.

Positives. My god we are a better team than the one I saw at Cambridge last year. For those who were at both games, you will know what I mean.

A few of the usual WUM’s and doom merchants have been on as usual after a defeat, but guess what, it was a game of football where both teams were in it and either could have feasibly won the game. That’s why we’re in the same league. Reports of earlier games indicate similar, Crewe, Colchester, Exeter, all recent, and all could have gone either way. I think we have got enough not to be in the position we were last year, but also can’t see more than mid table at best. Jolley has had one transfer window, we were willing to spend money in the last one, so there has to be the possibility of bringing in reinforcements going forward.

Gutted to lose a game were a draw would have been a fairer result, but that’s football.

UTFM

Regarding doom merchants, perhaps some of us saw the games highlighted and can't work out how we can be so poor after the performances against teams who were significantly better than Cambridge. Yes, a draw would have been fair but if we had performed like we did against Colchester and Exeter then Cambridge were there for the taking.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
Posh Harry
November 4, 2018, 10:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,350
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Regarding doom merchants, perhaps some of us saw the games highlighted and can't work out how we can be so poor after the performances against teams who were significantly better than Cambridge. Yes, a draw would have been fair but if we had performed like we did against Colchester and Exeter then Cambridge were there for the taking.

Not denying it TOC which is why I stated I was only going by what I saw yesterday. I also wasn’t picking you out as a doom merchant (if that is what you were thinking). I was just pointing out that it was game that could of gone either way. Win and they are hero’s, lose and some people are calling out M.J. and the players for this that and the other. It is a game we could of easily won, we didn’t. It’s football. It happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
HertsGTFC
November 4, 2018, 10:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Posh Harry

Firstly the negatives. I thought Thomas was poor today. First time I have seen him live and I am sure he is a better player than that. I get that he was feeding off scraps but when the ball did get to him it didn’t stick and should have made more movement. Hooper, well I am not going to get on the bandwagon but clearly things didn’t go well for him today (I haven’t seen him as much of many of you so just going on what I saw today). Overall I think he did ok defensively (someone called out Hendrie being made to look like a numpty but think they were watching a different game to me). Saying that, Initially from the other end of the pitch it looked like Hooper was fouled for the goal but highlights show it was a weak effort. Going forward, again he did well to put himself in positions to supply the crosses on 2 obvious  occasions. He was wanting someone to make the run to the near post, they made the opposite. On another day he would have been a hero by supplying to crosses for goals and we would have kept a clean sheet. Fine margins as these things often tend to be. I don’t buy the fact that he wasn’t working hard. I don’t think his running style etc helps. But that is just my opinion.

Obvious other negative is that although we got in good positions, we didn’t create anything clear cut and so obviously you are going to struggle to score goals.

M.J. some people saying he got subs wrong. I don’t agree (although Vernam instead of cook might of been better). Whitemore was injured so no choice there. Cambridge were the better team in the first half, but only just. It wasn’t a terrible half, but not great either. They had the better of the chances and mainly controlled the middle of the park with Rose and Clifton working hard but not getting much out of the game. At the beginning of the second half this got even worse with their number 6 having more and more room and having more of an influence. Bringing off Pringle (who worked hard with little impact) and bringing on Hessenthaler was a great tactical sub imo. It allowed us to take control of the midfield and we soon became the much better team, playing on the front foot. Freed up Rose who was excellent second half, and both him and Hessenthaler got forward more and more and we looked dangerous although obviously not having the clinical finish needed at any level of football.

Thought RHJ did well down the right which is where our main threat came from in the second half (including Hooper) and also Embleton worked his socks off and when he ran at them it frightened the life out of them, but just couldn’t finish it off. Don’t think either penalty shouts were penalties. I was right in line with the second one and don’t think it was a blatant dive. He was touched (same as the first one) but not enough to warrant a penalty I don’t think. Footballers nowadays go down when touched inside the box. Whether that’s right or not is a different arguement (it’s not right imo and idiots like Shearer saying it is should be ashamed of themselves) but that’s what happens in the modern game.

UTFM

Good post but the reality is that we are pretty much where we where in the 2nd half of last season 21st in the league with 15 points a 3rd of the way through this term. Yes we have 4 point cushion over Cheltenham but that could disappear within a week and we could be in one of the two relegation places. The drop is a reality unless we show more care and thought in the final 3rd of the pitch.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
MuddyWaters
November 4, 2018, 11:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

Not denying it TOC which is why I stated I was only going by what I saw yesterday. I also wasn’t picking you out as a doom merchant (if that is what you were thinking). I was just pointing out that it was game that could of gone either way. Win and they are hero’s, lose and some people are calling out M.J. and the players for this that and the other. It is a game we could of easily won, we didn’t. It’s football. It happens.

Fair enough - it's the inconsistency that is so frustrating. The only consistent is our inability to create & score. Our main threat yesterday was Embleton who could be gone in January.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.