Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well it's official we made the national news.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 135 Guests

Well it's official we made the national news.

This thread currently has 5,354 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 2, 2018, 9:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Anybody can come up with a list of down on their luck towns and in those towns you will find the highest concentrations of obesity, drugs, alcoholism, truancy, low school gradings, homelessness, crime ...... like it or not all those towns will have them and we cannot ignore ours when they are factually correct. But when the outside world only sees this downside of the area then it must affect everything and everyone, including the transfer game.

If companies were bribed and encouraged to invest and create long term employment prospects, that would be a great help. That is what Hull did.

If the council recognised that for 3 decades the most intelligent kids have left the area to go to grammar schools elsewhere and created a system in NEL to combat that, we might have the pool of well qualified school leavers we used to have. We might see graduates coming back home to work like we used to. That would help to bring higher paid jobs and create some spare cash in people’s pockets to get retail going again.

I agree with Lew, we must start showing the best of the area to the best advantage.  On its own that isn’t enough but it is a start.  Redevelopments must be publicised and in that the club has to do its bit. Burying the hatchet with the council and backing a new ground as part of a “new” Grimsby would be a  good beginning.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
MuddyWaters
November 2, 2018, 9:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,881
Gold Stars: 230
Anybody can come up with a list of down on their luck towns and in those towns you will find the highest concentrations of obesity, drugs, alcoholism, truancy, low school gradings, homelessness, crime ...... like it or not all those towns will have them and we cannot ignore ours when they are factually correct. But when the outside world only sees this downside of the area then it must affect everything and everyone, including the transfer game.

If companies were bribed and encouraged to invest and create long term employment prospects, that would be a great help. That is what Hull did.

If the council recognised that for 3 decades the most intelligent kids have left the area to go to grammar schools elsewhere and created a system in NEL to combat that, we might have the pool of well qualified school leavers we used to have. We might see graduates coming back home to work like we used to. That would help to bring higher paid jobs and create some spare cash in people’s pockets to get retail going again.

I agree with Lew, we must start showing the best of the area to the best advantage.  On its own that isn’t enough but it is a start.  Redevelopments must be publicised and in that the club has to do its bit. Burying the hatchet with the council and backing a new ground as part of a “new” Grimsby would be a  good beginning.

This bit is absolutely key - if the GTFC board aren't prepared to work with NELC then they really need to consider their positions. It would make it look like self-interest is more important than (their own words) the financial future of the football club.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
promotion plaice
November 2, 2018, 9:29pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from MuddyWaters

This bit is absolutely key - if the GTFC board aren't prepared to work with NELC then they really need to consider their positions. It would make it look like self-interest is more important than (their own words) the financial future of the football club.

The silence from the GTFC board on how they intend moving us forward regarding the new stadium is deafening.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
KingstonMariner
November 2, 2018, 9:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Not sure if you meant it this way but, are you saying if there were grammar schools in NEL, less bright kids would go to school elsewhere (Louth/Caistor?) and there would be more well-qualified school leavers in GY?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
Croxton
November 2, 2018, 9:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Classic case of start with preconceived notion and select evidence to fit. Lazy study produces clickbait for even lazier media. Despite clear issues in the town, Grimsby has more going for it than many coastal towns.
Relative to average income, Brighton should be akin to St Tropez but it's a faded, polluted bedraggled mess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
barralad
November 2, 2018, 9:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121

Can agree with some of that but a couple of points...there isn't to my knowledge a single school at primary or secondary level in NE Lincs that is under the control of the LA. The acedemy model gives schools virtual autonomy.
Secondly I'm attending a class of 69 Clee Grammar reunion on 17 November. The vast majority of the ex-pupils who will be attending probably haven't lived in this area since they left school 42 years ago. It has pretty much always been a fact of life that kids who left school here to go to university have found much better opportunities elsewhere as Grimsby has never had the diversity of jobs that other cities/towns have had.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
barralad
November 2, 2018, 10:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I've pretty much kept out of this up to now but there is no evidence that I've seen that the club aren't prepared to work with NELC.
As much as I want to see a new ground I do not want it to be an acceptance of the first offer made. If, as I do, you accept that the reasons for moving are tied into ensuring that there is a chance of greater/different income streams which will allow us to compete better with teams at the top end of this division (and the one above) then I want the club to ensure that they do everything they can to make that happen. Otherwise we might as well stay at B.P. (which at least we do own)

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
MuddyWaters
November 2, 2018, 10:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,881
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from barralad

I've pretty much kept out of this up to now but there is no evidence that I've seen that the club aren't prepared to work with NELC.
As much as I want to see a new ground I do not want it to be an acceptance of the first offer made. If, as I do, you accept that the reasons for moving are tied into ensuring that there is a chance of greater/different income streams which will allow us to compete better with teams at the top end of this division (and the one above) then I want the club to ensure that they do everything they can to make that happen. Otherwise we might as well stay at B.P.

Whilst accepting what you say about income streams, I can't believe after all that's been said that the club can contemplate staying at BP. It's falling to bits and it doesn't seem logical to carry on throwing money at it. If I was good enough to be a professional footballer, I would be seriously put off at thought of playing my football at a run-down wreck of a ground.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
moosey_club
November 2, 2018, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Grimsby is indeed the bottom end of the country.

The worst place in the country for high street takeaways, pawnbrokers. charity shops and betting shops outlining the fact we are the most poverty-stricken unhealthiest place in the UK.

All this will not help to attract players to Mike Jolley and GTFC.

Utter tosh....Adam Proudlock signed for that sole reason,  massive variety in cheese topped takeaways to spend his goal bonuses on....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
SteffiMariner
November 2, 2018, 10:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Cloudy
Non football

Selling clothing is football related so this should be fine...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well it's official we made the national news.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.