Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well it's official we made the national news.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 231 Guests

Well it's official we made the national news.

This thread currently has 5,393 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
November 2, 2018, 6:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Grimsby is indeed the bottom end of the country.

The worst place in the country for high street takeaways, pawnbrokers. charity shops and betting shops outlining the fact we are the most poverty-stricken unhealthiest place in the UK.

All this will not help to attract players to Mike Jolley and GTFC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Cloudy
November 2, 2018, 6:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Non football
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
Mrs Doyle
November 2, 2018, 7:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Cloudy
Non football

I disagree I think there is more of an element of truth to the reason why finding players to come here is not easy.

So in that reasoning, there is a tenable link to football.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
lew chaterleys lover
November 2, 2018, 7:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Have you ever heard of such a ludicrous report ever? The "unhealthiest high street..." in the UK.  Apparently a stretch of Victoria Street which is not the main shopping centre, not attached as such to the museum, the minster, the library or anything like that which gives us extra "points" means once again we are subject to national humiliation because it has what it was designed for - food outlets and shops (albeit some are empty like everywhere else) means we are "unhealthy". I haven't looked it up, but I bet Grimsby is no different from hundreds of towns in the healthy stakes, including longevity.

One day the council will wake up and start showing the gems of the town to the world. Look on YouTube at the aerial views of the Docks, marina and dock tower - it is absolutely fantastic and all those should be at the forefront of the town's regeneration (including of course a spanking new stadium with the dock tower behind it.)
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
barralad
November 2, 2018, 7:51pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Have you ever heard of such a ludicrous report ever? The "unhealthiest high street..." in the UK.  Apparently a stretch of Victoria Street which is not the main shopping centre, not attached as such to the museum, the minster, the library or anything like that which gives us extra "points" means once again we are subject to national humiliation because it has what it was designed for - food outlets and shops (albeit some are empty like everywhere else) means we are "unhealthy". I haven't looked it up, but I bet Grimsby is no different from hundreds of towns in the healthy stakes, including longevity.

One day the council will wake up and start showing the gems of the town to the world. Look on YouTube at the aerial views of the Docks, marina and dock tower - it is absolutely fantastic and all those should be at the forefront of the town's regeneration (including of course a spanking new stadium with the dock tower behind it.)

This all day long...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
RoboCod
November 2, 2018, 7:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505

This. It's just so lazy to bring up "Grimsby" when talking of deprived Towns, never Clacton or Hastings yet these and other Southern places have featured recently in similar (but well researched) looks into poverty and have some gut-wrenching, soul destroying images of the most down and out places you could see.
It's a horrible problem for all of the UK and deserves much more than these novelty pieces/top 20's in the press, especially when the column inches concentrate on the cliched 'grim Northern' Towns and not the obviously more nationwide problem.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
promotion plaice
November 2, 2018, 8:06pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

The worst place in the country for high street takeaways, pawnbrokers. charity shops and betting shops outlining the fact we are the most poverty-stricken unhealthiest place in the UK.

Another way of looking at it....if you like a takeway, easy money, some cheap shopping and a bet.... Grimsby is the best place to live in the UK    

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
wuffing
November 2, 2018, 8:07pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +821
Gold Stars: 38
I've been to a lot of places on this planet and we are far from the bottom believe me. There is always something going on in our part of the world, far more than other places that I have been. All we need now is a spanking new football/sports/community development to pull us out of what everywhere else is suffering from in this present age we live in. Lets get it on.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
Tommy
November 2, 2018, 8:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Or the best, if what you like is fast-food and a bet.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
MuddyWaters
November 2, 2018, 8:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Nothing wrong with the town that can't be put right by some positive, forward-thinking businessmen and some political will. Instead of everyone moaning about our 'plight', why can't people put their personal agendas to one side and work for the common good?

There is a common goal to be had - a community regeneration with a new stadium as its' flagship which would not only encourage employment but give us something to be proud of.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well it's official we made the national news.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.