Rodley Mariner
October 30, 2018, 8:47am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Clearly, for some, a show pony called Pogba is more important than the tragic death of a truly inspirational owner of a football club. Never mind eh?

I have literally no idea what the logic is behind this bizarre statement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
Rodley Mariner
October 30, 2018, 9:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from diehardmariner

What happened at Leicester was an absolute tragedy, genuinely my heart goes out to all those people who are affected.  The guy and his family seem to be simply nice people who like doing good things.

But I can't be the only one who is a bit perplexed by this over the top outpouring of grief.  The absolute cynic in me recognises that the media are running and running with this story because it's easy and cheap news.  But it's getting beyond a joke.  Last night the commentary team at the Spurs/Man City game made countless references to it at every opportunity.  The first questions asked of Mahrez after the game were about his relationship with the guy who owned the club that he couldn't wait to get away from, to the point he went on strike at one stage! Yesterday on Sky Sports News they were interviewing Paul Lambert about it.  Paul bloody Lambert! I understand he lives near Leicester and went to the stadium to pay his personal respects, but from his interview it was clear he had as much of a relationship with the bloke as me or you.  

There is a need for grieving for all of those impacted by the tragedy.  But having it aired 24/7 is neither respectful or helpful to anyone.  

I am in 100% agreement with you. It is modern day phenomena and I think you're right that 24 hour news drives it. You then see people on social media almost competing to be the most heartbroken or most personally impacted.

It is undoubtedly sad that 5 innocent people died in an accident. It's especially sad if you're a Leicester fan or obviously a friend or relative of one of those who lost their lives. Why should it be sadder than 200 people dying in a plane crash in Indonesia though? Nobody is suggesting you can't call Pogba a twit because of that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
RoboCod
October 30, 2018, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Post of the week. One of Englands finest, Glenn Hoddle had a heart attack, hopefully he'll pull through so where does this leave the TOTW award ? Because, just as with the awful tragedy at Leicester, it's not at all connected with the what-used-to-be-harmless bit of fun that is the TOTW.

This place is becoming really hard work at times.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
Bigdog
October 30, 2018, 10:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from RoboCod

Post of the week. One of Englands finest, Glenn Hoddle had a heart attack, hopefully he'll pull through so where does this leave the TOTW award ? Because, just as with the awful tragedy at Leicester, it's not at all connected with the what-used-to-be-harmless bit of fun that is the TOTW.

This place is becoming really hard work at times.

I blame it on the obscurity of mid-table League Two football that nearly everyone on here dreamed of..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
Posh Harry
October 30, 2018, 2:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Bigdog

I blame it on the obscurity of mid-table League Two football that nearly everyone on here dreamed of..

Not sure what league table you’re looking at Bigdog. I’m still dreaming of league 2 mid table obscurity 😏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
LH
October 30, 2018, 11:41pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Just to let everyone know there’s no TOTW next week as a mark of respect to the fallen on the centenary of Armistice Day.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
Croxton
November 1, 2018, 8:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Selene Nelson. Just when the Board at FGR were getting positive media coverage for their Vegan stance she publishes a private email from a fellow journalist and gets him sacked. Wonder if local media will ask for Vince's 'reaction'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
KingstonMariner
November 1, 2018, 9:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Croxton
Selene Nelson. Just when the Board at FGR were getting positive media coverage for their Vegan stance she publishes a private email from a fellow journalist and gets him sacked. Wonder if local media will ask for Vince's 'reaction'.

Tell us more Croxton. Not seen this story.

I was going to nominate Fenty for his 'no political will' comment, but willing to relegate him.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
AdamHaddock
November 1, 2018, 11:32pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
Hearts coin thrower

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
Croxton
November 2, 2018, 8:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Tell us more Croxton. Not seen this story.

I was going to nominate Fenty for his 'no political will' comment, but willing to relegate him.

Stick with Fenty as there is no direct link to FGR with this story apart from Veganism. My gripe is with the low tactics employed by a freelancer to further her career. William Sitwell is a prat but she is no better than those 'fans ' who recorded and published Fenty's private comments last year.

Lots of coverage in the press, Twitter etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Football Twit of the Week πŸŽ–

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.