KingstonMariner
October 28, 2018, 1:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from chaos33
No, I know that. Give me some credit. You look at the stats and the league table. You notice other teams have midfielders scoring goals, centre backs, goals from corners, free kicks, last minute winners, headers from crosses...
I don't really see much of that in our team really. Easily the fewest goals scored.
How many goals have our centre backs and centre midfielders got between them, excluding penalties..?

I wasn't disputing the lack of goals. It was the daft use of highlights programmes to illustrate the point.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
TheGoalKipper
October 28, 2018, 4:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from arryarryarry

I agree, we seem to play well and get within 10 yards of the opposition's penalty area then we seem to fanny about passing it around without looking dangerous.

This demostrates that they dont know what theyy are trying to do to me. Time and again Embleton is given the ball out wide but the ball isnt crossed. He just pixxes about until he loses it. No end product, No threat on goal at all.
If you dont ask questions of the defense you'll get nothing. Makes life easy for the defense

Embleton's corners today were poor and in the first half we had a free kick about 20 yards outside of their penalty area, a long line of our players on the edge of the area then I think it was Rose who decided to play a short ball to someone I can't remember who, they fannied about with it till it ended up somehere near the half way line, Collins was effing and blinding at Rose on his way back to defend.

Exactly. A complete waste of a set piece. We got the tall defenders forward and then lose the plot as to what we are trying to do. Hasnt it been shown that a big percentage of all goals come from set pieces so you must take advantage when you gett them, We create so few clear cut chances that getting loads of crosses in when we have a few players in the box will pay off enough times to get winning goals until we have forwards who are not shot shy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
rancido
October 28, 2018, 5:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,528
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

[/b]

Exactly. A complete waste of a set piece. We got the tall defenders forward and then lose the plot as to what we are trying to do. Hasnt it been shown that a big percentage of all goals come from set pieces so you must take advantage when you gett them, We create so few clear cut chances that getting loads of crosses in when we have a few players in the box will pay off enough times to get winning goals until we have forwards who are not shot shy.

But sometimes you have to try something different to get a result. This team is not the finished article and I'm sure MJ knows that. As long as we can keep clear of relegation and develop then I'm sure we will be fine.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Bigdog
October 28, 2018, 5:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I still think our lack of goalscoring is mainly due to the extremely low amount of quality chances we create. We very rarely open teams up and lay chances on a plate for any of our strikers. Our stats show that we create very few chances as a team per game rather than being extremely wasteful in front of goal. I can only remember us missing three or four gilt-edged chances all season (mainly Carlisle away which we won anyway) where you could say we should have scored. That's after 15 games. We could sign as many proven goalscorers as we want but if the chances aren't coming, they're not going to be able to score them. Our problems go a little deeper than purely missing chances, we don't create anywhere near enough when we get around the box, especially from crosses in wide areas or players pulling the ball back from the goal line. We do significantly suffer from a lack of penetration, composure and inventiveness in the final third..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
SheepGTFC
October 29, 2018, 7:34am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +282
Gold Stars: 6
I know we didn't win but if we keep playing the way we've been playing we will get there. We are heading in the right direction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
joe56
October 29, 2018, 8:02am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Bigdog
I still think our lack of goalscoring is mainly due to the extremely low amount of quality chances we create. We very rarely open teams up and lay chances on a plate for any of our strikers. Our stats show that we create very few chances as a team per game rather than being extremely wasteful in front of goal. I can only remember us missing three or four gilt-edged chances all season (mainly Carlisle away which we won anyway) where you could say we should have scored. That's after 15 games. We could sign as many proven goalscorers as we want but if the chances aren't coming, they're not going to be able to score them. Our problems go a little deeper than purely missing chances, we don't create anywhere near enough when we get around the box, especially from crosses in wide areas or players pulling the ball back from the goal line. We do significantly suffer from a lack of penetration, composure and inventiveness in the final third..

I agree with all of that - especially the idea that we don’t get in behind defences sufficiently. The goal at Carlisle and the second against Port Vale showed the benefits of getting the ball down to the by-line and pulling it back. Also, our shooting lacks power. The shots we did have on goal on Saturday were like passes to the goalkeeper. The value of hitting the ball really hard was exemplified by Harry Kane’s penalties in the World Cup. We don’t need to bring in a ‘proven striker’. We just need the ones we’ve already got to wise up on what it takes to find the back of the net.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Northbank Mariner
October 29, 2018, 10:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from joe56

I agree with all of that - especially the idea that we don’t get in behind defences sufficiently. The goal at Carlisle and the second against Port Vale showed the benefits of getting the ball down to the by-line and pulling it back. Also, our shooting lacks power. The shots we did have on goal on Saturday were like passes to the goalkeeper. The value of hitting the ball really hard was exemplified by Harry Kane’s penalties in the World Cup. We don’t need to bring in a ‘proven striker’. We just need the ones we’ve already got to wise up on what it takes to find the back of the net.

Sorry but we disagree slightly with this ..
Yes I agree with the lack of true velocity, accuracy and powder in the attempts we have when shooting from outside the box but twice on Saturday, both in the first hskf, Vernham whipped 2 fantastic balls across the face of goal but unfortunately hooper just wasn't in the right places due to his inability to read the game..maybe this is just his age and lack  of maturity, I'm not sure to be honest.yet I contradict myself with that statement as he read the situation against vale perfectly...who knows, but to me the problems really started on Saturday once hooper went off, he at least occupied their right back but cook was ineffectual...poor substitutions cost us the game, hopefully MJ is astute enough to realise that fact..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
HistonMariner
October 29, 2018, 12:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Mariner93er
For the first 60 minutes, we looked most likely to score without playing particularly well. I don't actually think we pressed them that well in this period too in sharp contrast to the Colchester game. There were so many times were Thomas and Vernam were trying to press but the gap between our lines left a easy pass on for them. It was just that Crewe were too poor to take advantage of this. The opening goal clearly resulted from Vernam being placed on the left, and having no clue how to defend, which I don't blame him for. After this we never remotely looked like scoring.

Our attacking play was also weaker than of late, and we were labouring to even get near the penalty area. Embleton particularly had a poor game, which tells you how influential he's been to us of late. Overall, we didn't play p[/color]articularly well, but still looked the most likely team to win for 60 mins which we can take some encouragement from, but Crewe were a poor team.

[color=blue]
Shoot out to the guy behind me who all game was criticising Hooper for not defending well enough and being clueless, before becoming a tactical mastermind after their first goal, pointing out how he knew taking Hooper off would leave our left side vulnerable.

I think JJ is in a continual fight to justify automatic selection.
I think he may not be in our strongest XI when everyone is fit.
I think constructive criticism should be part of the lifeblood of this forum.
I think JJ must despair at the continual excessive criticism he receives.
I think he is a useful member of the squad.
I think part of the problem is, he is more David Gower than Graham Gooch.

I know the tone of the criticism does JJ no good whatsoever.
I know because of this it is not good for the team.
I know the tone of the criticism is from a minority.
I know the idiot behind me at Crewe p.ssed off the majority who could hear him.
I know most of us didn’t want to hear his rather less than eloquent b.llocks.
I know the idiot behind me would (silently) have been glad had JJ been in position rather than Vernam when
   Crewe scored.

I will continue to trust in Michael Jolley.

UTMM.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
HistonMariner
October 29, 2018, 12:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 13
Wrong highlighted bit but l guess it is self explanatory when looking at Mariner93er’s post.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 29, 2018, 2:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

True enough. Someone on here said the other day that we do not get enough players in the box and that may have something to do with the lack of chances. Midfield players are not getting ahead of the ball enough. (Is this a fitness issue as well?) Stands to reason a cross has more chance of being dangerous if there are 2 or 3 possible scorers in there instead of just one to aim at.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.