3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
October 27, 2018, 5:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
First half we were the better side (slightly), but once again just not able to put the ball in the net, for most the of the second half it evened out both sides in it and it looked like a draw would be a fair result for both parties. The trouble was Jolley's subs decision, he took Hooper off and brought Cook (Why not Pringle?) on and changed our shape and this killed us we stopped pressing, invited trouble and were punished when out striker was pushed out side and didn't track his man and we were 1-0 down and the second came because we had just given up not much else to report sadly.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Online
Private Message
gary_elton
October 27, 2018, 9:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Agreed... the first change did the damage,,,, didnt see the need for it...

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
hampshiremariner
October 27, 2018, 9:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
My mate who is an ardent Alex fan told we had three decent chances and failed to take them. Not a great game but not dire either. He predicts mid table for both clubs! I'd take that now!

He also said he does not want Lincoln to get promoted- 'Long ball thugs' were his words.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Cloudy
October 27, 2018, 10:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
We have improved greatly over the last few weeks. We try and play football on the ground, pass it reasonably well and are solid enough but we don’t really look to have too many goals in us.
We created 3 good chances in the first half but took none of them.
Think as fans all we can do is be supportive and hope that when one goes in confidence grows.

I am far happier watching the last few games than I ever was watching a Slade team!

Though Collins had a decent game and Thomas too
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
@Grimsbyfish
October 27, 2018, 11:44pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +5
First half - thought we were the better side. Lots of energy forcing Crewe into mistakes.
Good link up between midfield and front three - a few decent chances created but not taken
Second half - Crewe upped their game and we seemed to lack the same intensity of the first half.
Always a game in which the first goal was a massive factor. We didn't take our chances, Crewe did.

Compared to last away game that I went to (Bury), this was a vastly improved performance. I drove home feeling disappointed but not despondent. If we continue to play like we did in the first half, we will be ok. However, I still think we are missing some quality to challenge at the top end of the table. (especially up front)

It would be churlish to pick up too many negatives after today but
1. I get frustrated by how many times when we have the opportunity to run at opposing defenders, we seem to stop and pass the ball in field.
2. Set play delivery was dreadful today

Overall much better but some work still to do
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
sydney
October 27, 2018, 11:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
If we need a proven goalscorer who can  capatilise on all this good play does anyone spring to mind in Jan?
Amond?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
arryarryarry
October 28, 2018, 12:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from @Grimsbyfish
First half - thought we were the better side. Lots of energy forcing Crewe into mistakes.
Good link up between midfield and front three - a few decent chances created but not taken
Second half - Crewe upped their game and we seemed to lack the same intensity of the first half.
Always a game in which the first goal was a massive factor. We didn't take our chances, Crewe did.

Compared to last away game that I went to (Bury), this was a vastly improved performance. I drove home feeling disappointed but not despondent. If we continue to play like we did in the first half, we will be ok. However, I still think we are missing some quality to challenge at the top end of the table. (especially up front)

It would be churlish to pick up too many negatives after today but
1. I get frustrated by how many times when we have the opportunity to run at opposing defenders, we seem to stop and pass the ball in field.
2. Set play delivery was dreadful today

Overall much better but some work still to do

I agree, we seem to play well and get within 10 yards of the opposition's penalty area then we seem to fanny about passing it around without looking dangerous.

Embleton's corners today were poor and in the first half we had a free kick about 20 yards outside of their penalty area, a long line of our players on the edge of the area then I think it was Rose who decided to play a short ball to someone I can't remember who, they fannied about with it till it ended up somehere near the half way line, Collins was effing and blinding at Rose on his way back to defend.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Mariner93er
October 28, 2018, 7:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,718
Gold Stars: 28
For the first 60 minutes, we looked most likely to score without playing particularly well. I don't actually think we pressed them that well in this period too in sharp contrast to the Colchester game. There were so many times were Thomas and Vernam were trying to press but the gap between our lines left a easy pass on for them. It was just that Crewe were too poor to take advantage of this. The opening goal clearly resulted from Vernam being placed on the left, and having no clue how to defend, which I don't blame him for. After this we never remotely looked like scoring.

Our attacking play was also weaker than of late, and we were labouring to even get near the penalty area. Embleton particularly had a poor game, which tells you how influential he's been to us of late. Overall, we didn't play particularly well, but still looked the most likely team to win for 60 mins which we can take some encouragement from, but Crewe were a poor team.

Shoot out to the guy behind me who all game was criticising Hooper for not defending well enough and being clueless, before becoming a tactical mastermind after their first goal, pointing out how he knew taking Hooper off would leave our left side vulnerable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
fishboyUTM
October 28, 2018, 8:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Cloudy
We have improved greatly over the last few weeks. We try and play football on the ground, pass it reasonably well and are solid enough but we don’t really look to have too many goals in us.

I'm not sure we do play football on the ground. Yesterdays game was a case of two contrasting styles in my opinion. We look to hit the channels at the first opportunity although at times we play nice little triangles. We are set up to counter attack but lack real pace and like you say a goalscoring threat. That said, Thomas although not getting any younger has shown flashes recently that he could be the short term answer. Vernam is a quality footballer and will get his fair share although he needs to start finding the net more regularly. His wide position isn't helping.

I think a major reason we aren't hitting the target often enough is the amount of players we commit into the box. We aren't getting enough bodies in the box, decent crosses are going out for goal kicks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
Maringer
October 28, 2018, 8:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I think Thomas' goal against Colchester shows what a threat he can be if we can get him into the box and the ball at his feet more often. In his current role, he's spending too much time closer to the centre circle and with his back to goal. Hopefully Cardwell's fitness is improving as it might be worth giving him a run to do the donkey work to hopefully release Thomas a bit more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.