This thread currently has 2,738 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
October 26, 2018, 11:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
A tale of the impossible happening, at a time when non league grounds in London are disappearing at an alarming rate to hedge funded property developers. A cracking read of how dedicated fans took on the financial giants and won.

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....pers-and-won-it-back

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Paris Mariner
October 26, 2018, 12:05pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Just finished reading this. Shame they didn't clear up the ownership of the ground at the end of the article though.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 10
forza ivano
October 26, 2018, 12:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Dominic Vose is playing there this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
Dan
October 26, 2018, 12:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
I attend Dulwich Hamlet games regularly as i live very close by. The main appeal was being able to drink beer in view of the pitch, but it's become something far more than that now. I love this little club

The reason they haven't cleared up the ground ownership, is because essentially the club are back where they were last year. They have a license to play at Champion Hill for 18 months. The rapacious property developers still want to turn the ground in to flats, and their plan is still to develop the astrotruf pitch into a new ground for the club despite not owning the land and the site being a protected green space. This will never be allowed, and the only long term solution is to get rid of Meadow. You can see their plans for the site here: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/cdn.webfactore.co.uk/sr_686720.pdf That 'stadium' they're planning to build on the astroturf pitch is pathetic for a club at Conference South level, even if it would be allowed, and they're offering to build it under section 106 agreements, which means that they don't have to build any affordable housing on the site. Not a chance.

The best thing that can happen is that Meadow are somehow removed from ownership, and the club will never be safe until they are. The thing is, at a current market rate of £750,000 for a new 2 bedroom flat in the area, and 200 or so flats proposed for the site, there's a hell of a lot of potential money at stake. In my opinion, the council should still be looking at a CPO. You can never trust property developers.

That said, this it's good to back!

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
SpudUDontLike
October 26, 2018, 12:18pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Wow! Lovely story for a Friday. Thanks

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
GYinScuntland
October 26, 2018, 1:02pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Go to watch HSV a lot and we often take in an Altona 93 game if possible.
Forget the story but they have an affiliation with Dulwich for some reason.
There's a small club / bar next to the ground with plenty of Dulwich scarves, shirts ect and even a GTFC banner over the till.
Seen Hamlet supporters at games many times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
psgmariner
October 26, 2018, 6:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
jock dock tower
October 26, 2018, 6:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from psgmariner

There's undoubtedly some of that, especially with being able to quaff whilst watching from the terracing. However, a 400% increase in gates is nothing to sniff at, and were the same applied to Town we'd be playing in front of 15,000 bearded yogis. I could live with that

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
moosey_club
October 26, 2018, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Could always go for a bite to eat at Dulwich's famed eatery " The Shed" after the game ...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
KingstonMariner
October 26, 2018, 11:27pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jock dock tower

There's undoubtedly some of that, especially with being able to quaff whilst watching from the terracing. However, a 400% increase in gates is nothing to sniff at, and were the same applied to Town we'd be playing in front of 15,000 bearded yogis. I could live with that

Last year a colleague of mine said that her and her boyfriend go to watch them. 'It's not all hipsters', protested the woman who crochets coats for her pugs!  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dulwich Hamlet FC - a heartwarming story

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.